• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advanced Map Error Question

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    So I'm getting the VALUE is not a pointer error. I went in just to change a wild pokemon so I could catch it real quick and a missingno popped up everytime that pokemon was encountered. So went back in and now the game freezes when any pkmn encountered on the route. I looked up a solution and tried downloading ver 1.92 instead of 1.95 and that just said it cannot change bytes at pos 0! error.

What can I do? The last backup I made was 5 days ago and I guess you can still use old save files? Is there a way to just replace the specific map with an older non corrupted one? It won't save any pokemon data and freezes when encountering anything! Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    For the future immediatly after making wild Pokemon changes in a-map 1.95, close the program, and re-launch and continue. This seems to work for me, I am able to edit wild encounters with 0 problems. If you are extra paranoid you can use a hex editor and filecompare to see what a-map wrote to your rom, this requires a tiny amount of hex knowledge and experience but can be worth. As for your current situation I'm sorry I don't know how to fix that, only thing I can say is do daily backups.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2018
    For the future immediatly after making wild Pokemon changes in a-map 1.95, close the program, and re-launch and continue. This seems to work for me, I am able to edit wild encounters with 0 problems. If you are extra paranoid you can use a hex editor and filecompare to see what a-map wrote to your rom, this requires a tiny amount of hex knowledge and experience but can be worth. As for your current situation I'm sorry I don't know how to fix that, only thing I can say is do daily backups.

Hm I can look into. The only thing gone wrong is this routes pkmn. So if I had to redo everything it can just look and compare quickly. Thanks. I can still load the same save data right?

Back