• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you find out someone you know is a drug addict

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    Well...it would depend on the circumstances, really. I can't honestly see myself cutting someone off for that unless they're trying to force it on me...so, if I was asked to participate or support the addiction in some way, I would rather firmly decline, and further pursuit of that would result in me removing them from my life. I don't think that's particularly unreasonable, though. I wouldn't think any less of the individul, though...a lot of addicts aren't addicts by choice, and they're no less human or whatever than anyone else. If it was someone especially close to me I would worry for their health, but at the same time, I'd respect their right to do what they pleased.

Honestly, how I would react would depend on a lot of things, though...are they coming to me to talk about it because they see it as a problem they want to share and/or fix, or to get me to join in? Am I finding this out from them, or someone else? Generally, my attitude is that things like this are none of my business unless someone makes it my business, and in this circumstance, the only person who can do that is the addict. I'd be happy to leave well enough alone as long as it was understood I didn't want any part of it. If they're coming to me for help, we can talk about it, although I can't imagine I'd be much help other than as moral support, which they would have if they had the courage to tell me about it, because I don't think they'd deserve any less.

I suppose if you want to cut people off for their behaviour then it's your prerogative, but I personally prefer not to unless someone tries to control or influence my life contrary to my own personal will.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I have not known someone who had issues with drugs, but if I did, I will try to get them help. Most of the time, they are just good people who just had made a mistake.

Back