• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Violet Translator

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2019
    Hello,

some of you (who are familiar with the German RH scene) may be familiar with my Romhack Pokemon Violet. As the project is running for several years now I decided that it would be nice if it also was availible for the English community as was suggested many times. What I am looking for is therefore a translator who can translate the texts (mainly those of the overworlds, signs, etc.) into the English language. Of course you must be familiar with the German language and also I would like some kind of eloquency for my project (which I arrogantly claim to have brought into the German texts) for the English texts.

My project involves no actual ROM-File. All sources (including C/Assembly-Code, maps, music, graphics, etc.) are included into my Github Repository and patched onto a clean Pokemon Firered ROM (German). Thus whoever would like to help me out does not require any actual ROM on which we work together (which would really make the process of data sharing hard) but rather change .txt files in my repository (or to be more specific, add them). What do I mean by this?

The link to my github is github.com / WodkaRHR / Violet_Sources (just remove the spaces as I am appearently not allowed to post links) Once someone posses all those files (i.e. clones the repository) and also a clean Pokemon Firered (German) by simply executing the makefile the entire game is built and put into the output directory. This means whoever wants to collaborate will never actually touch any rom file but rather the files in the repository. How do these files look? If you browse through the directories that contain text files (files with the suffix .txt) - most of them are located somewhere in the map folder and its children since those are the texts that relate to persons, signs, triggers etc. on a map - you will quickly recoginze that those files simply contain plain text. I require someone to create a duplicate of each of those .txt files but with all texts translated. This suffices to enable dual language support. Most important: Know knowledge on Romhacking or in particular any programming language is required at all. All I need you to do is create .txt files and put text into it. (The details will be explained on demand).

What are my references? Well of course I did pretty much everything on the project, i.e. coding, composing, mapping, scripting, storywriting, gfx artworks etc. The results can be seen at board.romhackersworld.eu / thread / 11183-pok%C3%A9mon-violet-alpha-2-0-3/?pageNo=1. Also there are several Let's Plays linked in this thread. Furthermore Pokemon Violet includes many unique features, such as the Pokepad (a multi-gadget device) that for instance enables pseudo-Wondertrade (with CPU) and more. Also many cutscenes are included that go to the limit of what the GBA is capable of. A few examples of the features are: (again you need to remove the spaces)

www . youtube . com / watch?v=Zk15sEf60cA

youtu.be / XXfTvFRmSZw?t=186

www . youtube . com / watch?v=609uncAOa0g

www . youtube . com / watch?v=b7YQjRWNA_c

www . youtube . com / watch?v=LA6Zyl44qYI

board . romhackersworld . eu / thread / 11183-pok%C3%A9mon-violet-alpha-2-0-3/?pageNo=1

If the videos or any other material (obviously the screenshots are currently not visible but the board adminstrator was already informed) got you interested feel free to answer. You do not need to keep your work up for ever and can pretty much translate what you want whenever you want. Since it is not the main focus of my project to provide an english version you can take or take not as much time as you want. However only if at one point all texts are translated it makes sense to build the rom for english settings. Furthermore I can guarantee you that the project will not ever be quit (it at least is running for 6 years now), however I am a student myself and university takes pretty much all my free time so progress is being made even though slowly.

Back