• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A Question

garferno

Pokemon Master(unlike Ash)!
Years
  • If I replace the "?" Pokemon found in Emerald's data with some other Pokemon and add them in the game,will the game be affected?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • If I replace the "?" Pokemon found in Emerald's data with some other Pokemon and add them in the game,will the game be affected?

depends what you mean, if you mean the 26 ? pokemon between treecko and celebi, then no it shouldn't, they do all have unown's cry though and I can't currently remember how I fixed that problem

garferno

Years
  • Yep,those Pokemon.

Unluckily,I was too impatient and replaced one of them with Spiritomb(The sprite,type,stats and moves).Will anything happen now?

garferno

Years
  • depends what you mean, if you mean the 26 ? pokemon between treecko and celebi, then no it shouldn't, they do all have unown's cry though and I can't currently remember how I fixed that problem

Unluckily,I was too impatient and replaced one of them with Spiritomb(everything except the cry..and I'm horrible at recognising Pokemon cries from the games).Will anything happen now?

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I could be mistaken... but don't all those ?? question mark pokemon share a sprite? Which means if you made one spiritomb, they're all spiritomb?

I guess the only other downside is they can't have unique pokedex entries. I think it'll say something like "This is a newly discovered pokemon. It is currently under investigation."

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • Unluckily,I was too impatient and replaced one of them with Spiritomb(everything except the cry..and I'm horrible at recognising Pokemon cries from the games).Will anything happen now?

if all the ?? sprites are spiritomb i suggest reverting it (if you have it backed up. use that) if oly one is spiritomb it should be okay

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    The 25 ?? Pokemon entries between Celebi and Treecko function independently of each other in terms of moves, stats, sprites etc. This means that if you edit the stats of one, it will not affect the stats of any of the others.

They can be used to add 25 extra Pokemon, the only catch is that they don't have their own PokeDex entries. They are still perfectly usable though. I don't think I've had problems catching them and they work just fine when you receive them through a script.

They can have separate cries if you repoint the table at 0x31F61C, and expand it so that it has the first 251 Pokemon plus the 25 slots. Do it like in the spoiler below:

Spoiler:

Then you want to replace the bytes at 0x6D518 with 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 and the bytes at 0x6D524 with 00 00 00 00. This should remove the hardcoded Unown cries for those entries in Pokemon Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Spoiler:
    The 25 ?? Pokemon entries between Celebi and Treecko function independently of each other in terms of moves, stats, sprites etc. This means that if you edit the stats of one, it will not affect the stats of any of the others.

They can be used to add 25 extra Pokemon, the only catch is that they don't have their own PokeDex entries. They are still perfectly usable though. I don't think I've had problems catching them and they work just fine when you receive them through a script.

They can have separate cries if you repoint the table at 0x31F61C, and expand it so that it has the first 251 Pokemon plus the 25 slots. Do it like in the spoiler below:

Spoiler:

Then you want to replace the bytes at 0x6D518 with 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 and the bytes at 0x6D524 with 00 00 00 00. This should remove the hardcoded Unown cries for those entries in Pokemon Emerald.

Ok, I have to disagree with this. I was messing around with this on Pokémon Ruby and here are my findings.

Yes, they operate as 25 separate Pokémon, except not exactly. You can give them each different names and different move sets, but they do in fact share one sprite. You edit one, then they will all have that same sprite. You can change that sprite to whatever you want with a full 16 color palette. It does seem to function normally in battle (with the exception being it can only learn one move). However problems arise when you attempt to catch it in the wild. AkametheBulbasaur is correct in that it does not have a Pokedex entry, so when you catch it, the game will attempt to bring up the pokedex entry and freeze on a black screen. I have not attempted a script that would give you this pokemon (instead of catching it.) I assume that would work because it would bypass the Pokedex entry popping up. That is probably the only way you could make this work.

Unless I'm missing something, this isn't going to be a good way to add 25 new pokemon into your game. You can maybe add 1 and it's not going to function perfectly. However, I'm going to be using it for a boss battle. I used this slot to create a boss character that I don't want the Players to be able to catch without wasting a Pokémon slot, so there's an idea.

1%202_zpsodfjkjjb.png

EDIT: Just added a script so a character can give me the ?? pokemon. It worked and everything was fine until I tried to use it. Game froze. So these this ?? Pokémon is really only useable if you give it to a trainer. The player can't use it.

1%202_zpsvjeyrgvq.png

The top pic is what happened when I tried to use it in battle. :/

Last edited:

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years

• Thanks for testing this! I only tried this in FireRed (probably should have mentioned that in the original post).

This may or may not work as well in Ruby and Emerald (by the looks of it, it might not work so great in Ruby).

Pictures:
    Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2023.22.25_zpstmsjdx5q.png

This is one of the 25 ?? Pokemon in FireRed (notice the No.392 in the stats screen).
    Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2023.23.07_zpsboz1w2vq.png

This is her in battle.

Since OP's question was about Emerald, can anyone verify if it works there?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks for testing this! I only tried this in FireRed (probably should have mentioned that in the original post).

This may or may not work as well in Ruby and Emerald (by the looks of it, it might not work so great in Ruby).

Pictures:
    Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2023.22.25_zpstmsjdx5q.png

This is one of the 25 ?? Pokemon in FireRed (notice the No.392 in the stats screen).
    Screen%20Shot%202017-03-28%20at%2023.23.07_zpsboz1w2vq.png

This is her in battle.

Since OP's question was about Emerald, can anyone verify if it works there?

OOOHHH... ok. I've never hacked Fire Red. No idea if it would be any different there.

Back