• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too generous with Exp??

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
  • I agree withe alot of People. EXP share shouldn't have been given early in the game(like hoe Red/Blue had. A note, gen 1 had the "all pokemon receive EXP" exp share, but still kept the divide exp bit.) The new experience formula was good enough. Every Pokemon sent out of battle will receive all the experience as if it were the only one who fought it in the past gen games. There really wasn't a need for the EXP share to be given out so early, and easily.

Years
  • ITT: half of the ppl posting thinking its about exp share the other half Is mad frustrate.

Look at it as a blessing for post game. While it makes seasoned trainers uneasy whilst juggling badge collecting and day saving, they give rewards for filling the dex now ( and bw2 I guess its this cool thing were trying out) be thankful we don't have to let a lvl 10 pkmn get 800 exp while our lvl 90 greninja gets 3000)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • It seems that Game Freak started to going to the basics again that the Exp. points we got is no longer dependent of how the weaker or stronger Pokemon level is, like it was on Gen V. So if you discounting Exp. booster item like Lucky Egg or when using Pokémon-Amie, or considering traded Pokémon factor, all of the Pokémon in your party will get the same Exp. points. This is a welcome addition in my opinion because I find that my Pokémon team leveling up much way faster than it was before.

And another note, I just noticed that if you activate Exp. Share but you only use, for example, 3 Pokémon in the battle, these 3 Pokémon will get higher Exp. points than the other 3 which don't participate in the battle, so I think the Exp. points are still divided at some point, but that might be just me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    imo, having an item that shares experience among each team member is fine, as long as it doesn't make the game too easy. I would've liked the old way of sharing experience in battle (the experience is divided among the Pokemon that participated in the battle), but I don't mind this either, provided that the gyms and trainers are stronger. As far as I can tell, this was not the case. The gyms were easy to beat, so that's a problem. As for grinding, I believe there should be another way of dealing with it. If you give loads of exp, and you don't keep opponent levels high, you're going to make the game easy. If you give loads of exp, but you also make opponents tough, then you're maybe in for grinding again.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I'm okay with it. Sometimes, in previous games, things got to feel a little grindy with running around in the same patches of grass trying to level up my team. Now, I don't have to do it as much, so it doesn't take away from the flow of the gameplay and the story.
    This, exactly. Once I started using the EXP share in X, which distributes esp to your entire team, and then I resumed playing Black or HG, using Exp share, I hated it because it just takes so long to grind, and it's terrible.

Raczack

Gunslinger
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2015
    I actually loved the Exp Share. I turned it off at first as I figured it was going to cut into the challenge of my game, but after a while decided that where it really shines isn't in overleveling my party, but making it incredibly viable to train 2-3 parties worth of characters over my journey. Before it was always about being picky and choosy about what looked cool before adding a newly found underleveled pokemon to my party. Now I have the luxury of being able to cheaply trial run them without cutting into my core members. Then again, by the Elite 4 I had most of a box filled with guys I had tested in battles, so maybe I am just a little scatterbrained.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Okay, seriously guys, this is NOT about Exp Share! AT ALL! This is in regards to the base Exp given out in NORMAL battles. Exp Share can be shut off, the exp you get from battling cannot.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Personally, I love it. I like to train my Pokemon evenly, and I like to train all of the ones I catch, even ones I never really use for major battles. It's been a godsend, because previously there wasn't a way for me to do this in-game and still have a semblance of a life, haha. In the past, I've used EXP-boosting cheats to prevent literally hundreds of hours grinding Pokemon that will sit in the PC most of the time.

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
    Years
  • Well, when you had to grind, you'd never go in overleveled because you wouldn't want to grind, so stop a few levels short. Like in Platinum, I went into the elite 4 at level 55s. Hell, in Emerald, I went in at 41-44. This meant that the games would still be challenging, and you might need to save before each fight.

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • Okay, admittedly the last time I played Pokemon was the Ruby/Saphire days but I distinctly remember that when you had multiple pokemon in battle, the exp was divided amongst all the pokemon that participated, but just now when I fought a furfrou and had to switch in 3 different pokemon (all my pokemon were of low level) and ALL THREE got 235 exp points after battle, which is the same amount when ONE pokemon fights the same level furfrou in battle. So when did pokemon change the formula where all the pokemon that participated in battle get the same amount of expereince instead of the experience getting divided up between all teh pokemon?

They probably changed the EXP distribution for X and Y when they changed all the other mechanics like the EXP share and gaining EXP after catching pokemon.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    X and Y are really just pokemon for beginners, but with no difficulty, everyone has to get the same exp. Just have to wait and see if they polish things up in Z, or in 2-3 years in the next set of games.

Back