• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Question about IV and EV

Narutonoor

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Well I want to know more thoroughly about these two things
    1)
    EV- Different Pokemon give different amounts of EV, up to 3 in any stat I think, and I don't think Pokemon can give more than 2 different types of EV. But I want to know, for example Shellos gives 1 EV in speed I think it was? Even if that's not true let's just say it was, when I level up will I get at least +1 in Speed stat? And let's say I kill 3, will I get +3 speed? Now I was speed EV training my Magcargo, and it was going up by 3's and 4's and the last training I did with it it went up by 6, +6 for a Magcargo which has very low base speed. But after that he's only going up by 1's again... so what does the base stat mean? Also Pokemon can only hold 255 EV I think, but is that for one stat or for the total?
    2) What is IV? Is that just the stat?

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    EV- Different Pokemon give different amounts of EV, up to 3 in any stat I think, and I don't think Pokemon can give more than 2 different types of EV. But I want to know, for example Shellos gives 1 EV in speed I think it was? Even if that's not true let's just say it was, when I level up will I get at least +1 in Speed stat? And let's say I kill 3, will I get +3 speed? Now I was speed EV training my Magcargo, and it was going up by 3's and 4's and the last training I did with it it went up by 6, +6 for a Magcargo which has very low base speed. But after that he's only going up by 1's again... so what does the base stat mean? Also Pokemon can only hold 255 EV I think, but is that for one stat or for the total?
    No, you would not get 3 Speed for beating 3 Pokémon that give +1 Speed EVs, you would get 1 Speed for 4 Pokémon that give 1 Speed EV. However, let's say you beat 40 Pidgey (that each give 1 Speed) and you level up. That doesn't mean the stat will go up by 10, it just means that once you reach level 100 your Speed will be 10 higher than usual.
    2) What is IV? Is that just the stat?
    IVs are values that are assigned to each of a Pokémon's stats. They range from 0 to 31 and the higher the IV, the higher the stat can go. At level 100 the IVs will raise the stats as much as the IV's value is. So for example, if you have a Pokémon with 27 HP IVs, its HP will be 27 points higher than if its HP IV was 0.

Narutonoor

Pokémon Collector
    Years
  • How do you get IV's then? And how do you know what IV's are assigned to what pokemon, also what does base stat have to do with anything? Couldn't I just train a Pokemon that's slow, but it's at level 1 (A one form slow Pokemon, Torkoal for example) and just train it in Speed, wouldn't it get very very fast like how my Magcargo was going up by 4-6 while I was training it's speed EV?

Another thing, 255 EV is the max right? Does is reset after every level?

Shift

Stolen from Wifiddle at Smogon
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2008
    How do you get IV's then? And how do you know what IV's are assigned to what pokemon, also what does base stat have to do with anything? Couldn't I just train a Pokemon that's slow, but it's at level 1 (A one form slow Pokemon, Torkoal for example) and just train it in Speed, wouldn't it get very very fast like how my Magcargo was going up by 4-6 while I was training it's speed EV?

Another thing, 255 EV is the max right? Does is reset after every level?

It'd probaly would out speed many Torkoal's. But not any competitive Pokemon. And I think your Magcargo had Pokerus and doubled it's stat gain.

255 is the max for a stat. But your wasting 3 EV's. It should be 252 in two stats and 6 in another so you won't waste them.
    And it doesn't reset after every level, I think it just keeps moving up until you max it out.

Shift

Stolen from Wifiddle at Smogon
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2008
    How am I wasting 3 EV's? and my Magcargo didn't have Pokerus, I know that.

It takes 4 EV's to get 1 stat point. And 255 is 3 more EV's than 252. SInce those three EV's won't give you anything it's best to use them on another stat.

Narutonoor

Pokémon Collector
    Years
  • Why it's not like it'll get you anything in another stat?
    and about IV's, how do pokemon get them, and is it just like some Pokemon have better IV's than other pokemon or is it that Natures effect them and it's a random number of what pokemon will have what Iv's?

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Why it's not like it'll get you anything in another stat?
    and about IV's, how do pokemon get them, and is it just like some Pokemon have better IV's than other pokemon or is it that Natures effect them and it's a random number of what pokemon will have what Iv's?

IVs are completely random

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    how do you see the ivs? is it the base stats of a fresh poke?

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    you dont..

you can use online calculators though

Back