• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon VGC Platinum (Full Release)

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Have you ever wanted to play a difficult Pokemon game? One that reminds you a little bit of the competitive doubles format? Look no further. This is a ROM hack of Platinum that has revamped the entire Sinnoh region for a competitive doubles experience. This game is intended to be nuzlocked, but is also very fun if you play just to see how many tries it takes to beat some of the harder trainers!

I've attached a large changelog (Along with the fully playable patch here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PRVDIfuqKxG7oa8S7c1kczzXwpOP-OAp ) with the plethora of changes I've made to the game. To name a couple of features here:

~330 Pokemon available

ALL of which have completely revamped movesets and many of which have buffs (the weaker ones like Tropius, Corsola, etc...). Many 'mons learn status moves early on and then proceed to learn stronger stab moves and coverage moves in later levels. You'll notice that most Pokemon you can catch are viable or have a niche.

137 Move changes / reworks

I had to fix so many moves to make them viable. For instance, I made Stone Edge slightly weak while making it more accurate. I've also gone ahead and improved otherwise useless moves by buffing their accuracy and base power (namely sand tomb and other trapping moves). Splash even does some minor spread damage!

117+ ability changes

I removed all useless abilities from the Pokemon I added to the game. For instance, Magcargo no longer can have magma armor. Instead, it is one of a few Drought users. Some bulkier Pokemon have access to Filter or Battle Armor.

52 evolution changes

This was mostly to fix those Pokemon that need trade evolutions. I changed them to level up!

42+ type changes

This was mainly add novelty but also to make certain Pokemon more viable that otherwise wouldn't be. For example, Exploud is a Fighting/Normal dual type and has access to STAB Aura Sphere, while also having Scrappy as its ability.

All fishing rod encounters have been changed to only use the old rod for simplicity.

Rare candies are available for CHEAP so no grinding! This game is focused on battling. If you want to play with level caps on each gym, I've also included all of the gym leaders' Pokemon.

The changelog document also includes where to find certain competitive items at pokemarts, as well as the gym leaders and elite fours'teams, items, and moves.Lastly, there is a very long list of every single Pokemon you can find on every route (grass/cave, surfing, and fishing).You'll also notice that I scripted a couple of move-relearners into the game in both Eterna City and Hearthome City.The reason for this is that some un-evolved Pokemon get moves that their evolutions don't. So let's say you find a level 54 ____ in the wild and it gets confuse ray at level 14, but it's evolution doesn't get confuse ray, you'll have access to a move relearner in 3 different cities.

Of course, every battle in this game is a double battle, similar to how VGC formats are played. Every trainer has Pokemon with held items, and a competitively revamped team. I thought out every single team over the course of a couple months, so I think you will find some of them quite challenging. I gave them (mostly) meaningful items to make the game challenging and require the player to think and plan out their attack for each battle. Because of the way Nintendo created their Gen4 games, you can't actually fight a solo trainer as a double battle without the game freezing for reasons that you probably aren't interested in. As such, I paired trainers together so if you walk through them you willactivate the double battle (you'll see what I mean). This has drastically cut down on the number of trainers while having the fewer fights be more intense and drawn out, while also requiring more preparation. You will frequently have 6v6 battles, so go in prepared.

This game also features a doubles battle with Cynthia on Route 208 before Hearthome city. When I was playtesting it, it was REALLY difficult, so be prepared.

One of the most fun fights that I added was the 12v12 fight on spear pillar with you and your rival against Mars and Jupiter. It feels like the showdown it was meant to be.

Lastly, the starters also have been changed to Mudkip, Chimchar, and Bulbasaur.I hope you enjoy VGC Platinum! My dream is for people to play it, have fun, and make fun content in the community around it!

Credits:All ROM editing was done by myself (sauceyaTTa) but I could not have done it without the help of the fam at the DS Hacking Kingdom Discord!

EDIT:

Version 1.2 released. Link is updated with all base stat changes, as well as revamped gym leaders.

EDIT:

Version 1.3 released:
    Hi ROM hackers and players!

About a week or so ago, I released my ROM VGC Platinum to the public, a ROM hack which features only double battles with competitive items, opponents, and a plethora of quality of life changes. I received a lot of feedback revolving around the balance of the game, and I have heard you.

I balanced the game to be friendlier to those who prefer to nuzlocke games by adding encounters in each town.

I've also gone ahead and increased catch rates on many many pokemon that would be otherwise impossible to catch, allowing for the player to obtain and use pseudo-legendaries and legendaries before the Elite Four.

I decided to add about 30 new pokemon to the game, so there are now 330 obtainable pokemon, each of which with rebalanced stats, movepool, and abilities. In doing so, the player has significantly more options for encounters, which makes early game much more exciting.

I also removed a number of legendary / mythical pokemon from early fights to balance the game in favor of the player. For the 7th gym and before, you wont find a legendary Pokemon in a mandatory fight.

Lastly, I have updated a vast, color-coded datasheet with all of the changes made to abilities, types, stats, and encounters.

Overall, the game feels far more exciting and playable, especially with the player having more viable options to deal with difficult trainers. I hope you decide to play this game for yourself if you enjoy a good challenge.

Link to the patch and data sheet here, and link to the original reddit post here for more information.

Thank you for the support you all have shown, enjoy!

EDIT:

Version 1.4 released:

Significant team changes in the early game have been made to make the game more fun and less repetitive. First encounter with Mars was changed to be slightly easier, and to fit in with the level progression better.
    Fairy type has been added to a number of Pokemon, including Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Skitty, Delcatty, Togepi, Togetic, Togekiss, and Spinda. Additionally, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Draining Kiss, and Play Rough have been added and distributed to them. Documentation has been updated accordingly. See above links for new 1.4 patch and changelog.

Version 1.5 released:

All Team Galactic Boss fights have been rebalanced. Changelog now includes those fight's teams. PP for many status moves has been greatly reduced, as well as priority moves have been updated to Gen8 standards (Fake Out +3 instead of +1, ExtremeSpeed +2 instead of +1, etc).

Discord Server:
    https://discord.gg/AMVshrrXHv

Attachments

• ability changes.png
      ability changes.png
      36.2 KB · Views: 299
    • blizzard in snowpoint gym.png
      blizzard in snowpoint gym.png
      91.7 KB · Views: 225
    • cynthia.png
      cynthia.png
      78.1 KB · Views: 210
    • double battle gameplay vroad.png
      double battle gameplay vroad.png
      48.3 KB · Views: 238
    • double battle victory road.png
      double battle victory road.png
      69 KB · Views: 161
    • mart1.png
      mart1.png
      29.9 KB · Views: 159
    • mart2.png
      mart2.png
      29.2 KB · Views: 131
    • move tutor 2.png
      move tutor 2.png
      48.8 KB · Views: 134
    • movetutor.png
      movetutor.png
      69.2 KB · Views: 108
    • e4 battle.png
      e4 battle.png
      54.9 KB · Views: 159
    • mamoswine avalanche.png
      mamoswine avalanche.png
      38 KB · Views: 138
    • paired trainers.png
      paired trainers.png
      90.7 KB · Views: 103
    • safari zone.png
      safari zone.png
      32.9 KB · Views: 131
    • type changes.png
      type changes.png
      33.2 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Version 1.2 released. Link is updated with all base stat changes, as well as revamped gym leaders.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2022
    Get your screenshots uploaded — via attachments in the Full Editor, or using imgbb or imgur — and then submit it to the relevant section for approval. retro bowl

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How did you get around the game freezing when a doubles trainer that isn't Twins or similar sees you & tries to walk?

Back