• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think about the argument of "x game is dead because of x community or x guys"?

Years
I find this argument very stupid, they think just because of an guy or an toxic part of x community, x game is going to die, actually there are more reasons why an game itself is dying, might be the company itself that does not care about it totally or doens't give it support anymore, or the developer or the company add unecessary and not needed things in an game, or because an part of the community itself is intolerant against new players or very toxic with everyone else.
But i don't think that because of an certain "toxic" part of the community will kill the game.

Last edited:
Years
Yes, you are right. Long as sales are up, I'm sure there's no amount of toxicity that will stop people from play due to gameplay objectively.

Overwatch, Black Ops and Modern Warfare and even the Halo series have all had some high profile videos of racist / sexist players on streams. The Call of Duty series is famous for the offenses thrown at women due to the "bro-culture" for Xbox online. It's ridiculous.

However, the sales kept pouring in, while the studios can't truly silence these disrespectful players, they just get banned only to make another account. For the company, a game truly dies when sales decline or the player community is dead (i.e. no momentum).

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Honestly, it depends on the game. I don't usually play multiplayer games, though the only one I know that's still thriving and healthy and hasn't gone downhill as far as I know is Team Fortress 2, and the userbase for it is still very dedicated and loyal. Granted I haven't played TF2 in a while and have lost track of what's going on over there, but last time I played it, the players were rather nice and friendly.

In cases of multiplayer games that have gone downhill in my opinion, the Minecraft and Roblox fandoms are known for being heavily ridiculed for being very appealing to what have been collectively known as "normies" who are often very young kids who don't know any better when they get in trouble. As for single-player games, several immensely popular indie titles tend to get flack for this, such as what happened with the Undertale and Five Nights at Freddy's fandoms.

Honestly, I think a community for a game goes downhill if it gains far too much of a mainstream appeal, which usually tends to attract the wrong kind of crowd, such as trolls who try too hard to be "edgy" all the time, or kids who don't know any better. Basically, people who think they can do whatever they want without any repercussion at all, and poor moderation from server admins with these games just makes things worse.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Absolutely. I don't hear this as much as people straight up saying things like "this game sucks because of its fanbase", which I find equally ridiculous because I can't understand not enjoying something because lots of other people do, or feeling any way about a game because of what other people think.

You can dislike a game for any number of reasons, but it baffles me when other peoples' opinions influence yours so much you'll base your own opinion of the game off just that. I feel like people miss out on a lot when they won't even give a game a chance because it's gained too much popularity, ie. I've literally seen people say things like "well I wanted to play Undertale but the fans are so annoying about it I don't even want to try it anymore".

And I can understand that from the perspective of "this game is ruined because the twists and spoilers are all over the internet already" but if you're just avoiding it to spite people, that's your loss imo.

Back