• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Warning about fake Nintendo Reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
  • Since the last thread didn't go so well, here we go again.

We have had two registrations by people posing as fake representatives from Nintendo. One even went so far as to threaten legal action and try to shut down a project.

For anyone who want to try this stunt: moderators have access to every member's IP address, a unique number for each computer. If you are already registered, we will cross-reference the 'representative's' IP with other registered members, and your name will show up. If you have a dynamic IP each of the IPs you have used to access PC are logged. We can also trace the location and Internet Service Provider of any IP.

The point is, we will know of any fake registrations, and if you are already registered will will know which member tried to play the prank.

For all of you creating games/resources: If anyone claiming to work for Nintendo tries to stop your project or threatens legal action, consult a moderator first. We will check the member's legitimacy. Be sure to see the "Nintendo's Official View on Fangames" thread to make sure you are on the right side of the law.

Thank you.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • Geez, people are doing that? That's just... well, malicious, if it was enough to stop someone from making what could potentially be a very neat game. You'd think that if they're on this forum they like Pokemon and would want to see made as many unique games as possible.

Edit: OOC, which IP-based locator do you use? I just Googled and found SearchBug and analysespider.com , but I remember there was one I used to use that had a map and was more accurate; these two both place me several states away from my actual location (New Jersey and Virigina, apparently).

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Hmm... several. I personally sometimes use AW IP Locator, a downoadable program. I also have a WHOIS program on my computer. If I'm not certain of the results, I sometimes use a few online locators, like the Geobytes one. But I find those less accurate.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    You also have to make sure that you get the approved ones. Otherwise you could inadvertantly break one of the Privacy Laws.

AW works really nice though. I find it is pretty fast, at least on my computer.

The only thing is if they use multiple Internet numbers. That can get a bit difficult then, but most people don't, unless they are actually knowledgeable in the area. (Use the wrong ones and you never know where you'll end up.)

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Some people have dynamic IPs, meaning their ISP changes their IP periodically. All of them that they use to access PC are logged though. As for proxies, there's nothing we can do about that except tell you have a proxy if it's not anonymous.

I have to access PC through a proxy every time because my IP got banned for some reason... :/

Years
  • What about those who use IP randomizers? Or programs which hide the IP address?
    I know of a few programs like IPghost I think it was called.. Also certain firewalls/virus protection programs help hide the IP if desired.. I think Zonealarm does I am not sure..

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • Programs like IPghost and other 'scramblers' almost never work, minus the almost... there are some ways to mess with your IP but it's never an unlimited, it's usually extremely difficult and very illegal. You can't form a connection through TCP/IP while faking an IP. Hmm... well, certain proxies help hide IPs, although many 'leak it out' through footer standards like X-Forwarded-For or whatever, and programs that help hide the IP usually just mean that they avoid giving it away when it's not necessary, and it's always necessary to communicate between computers. ...If they're accessing the forum they're definitely doing it from or through somewhere/something, be it a public terminal, a proxy running on their best friend's computer, or just their own ISP registered internet connection. Most kiddies/lamers like this fake Nintendo rep don't know enough to use proxies well, and most who do won't go to the effort of extensively using them to 'fool' forum systems, so for the most part it's pretty safe.

(I guess these days so many small local ISPs are getting bought out more and more these days (mine used to easily indicate which general region of Mass I was in, now after getting bought out twice I'm apparently in multiple other states), so the subnet box is more likely to be far away. Sometimes big companies like AOL (and comcast, right? Or does it not do that anymore?) get all sorts of weird ranges and have bizzare systems to make it difficult to figure out where their customers are at (most people are familiar with AOL's anonymity in that regard). )

AW IP Locator sounds neat, I will look around for it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back