• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

Jerme

stupid
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I would like to see Gravitational pull it allows flying types to get hit by ground type moves

THIS IS MY FIRST EVER POST!!!

iron ball + switcheero

how about this: Genius-pokemon knows how to use man-made items (potions=oran/sitrus berry, and balls somehow work)

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
these sound rather unbalanced, even for legendary pokemon. seriously, think of something that is likely to be used.

No too unbalanced actually, because my original idea include a power up effect if the weather is Sunny.This also only useful against water type only, and remember fire type have any other weakness, such as rock and ground.

Kurumi

Lonely Knife Dancer ; ;
Years
Mystical Fog: When this Pokemon enters the battle fog appears.
-name-: When Fog is in effect,evasion of that pokemon raises every turn. (Bring Your Aerial Ace going!)
Thick Fog: When Pokemon is fighting during Fog his damage received by every attack which is not super-effective is halved.
Ice Aura: If Rain is in effect it changes to Hail,Sunny Day is negated,Fog deals damage like Hail(evasion+damage : P),Sandstorm becomes Heavy Hail,dealing twice as damage as normal Hail.
Trick Dimension: Super effective attacks become not-effective,not-effective become super effective.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Encourage

As we all know there are new abilities for Pokemon Black and White.But one of the new abilities caught my eye,Encourage.It boost the Power of the move but negates any effects that it has.Sure that depleates some good moves like Anceint Power or Discharge but whaat about others like Hyper Beam or Explosion.If the pokemon uses Hyper beam will it not recharge.And what about Explosion will you not faint.in all honesty i belive that any pokemon that has this ability will be pretty broken.

Discuss.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think it simply stops Status effects like Thundershock's Paralysis, or a Fire Attack's Burn effect.

Hyperbeam doesn't seem like a secondary effect. Its kinda like a cost for the move. Self Destruct. You faint when you use it so I don't think it would keep you from fainting.

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
Years
Sheesh!
Negates some attack effects? Nuh-uh!
Using it's ability would break my double/triple battle teams!!!
I guess if it stops you from powering up SolarBeam/Focus Punch it could pretty sweet!
And no recharge or recoil could be good as well!
But, this could make certain B/W battles really broken, as previously stated..

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
The way I've seen it explained is like this: you know Serene Grace? Anything that gets affected by that is affected by Encourage. Secondary effects are things that have a chance to happen to the opponent.

So Explosion would still faint it and Hyper Beam would have to recharge because those moves always will have those effects.

Thunderbolt and Flamethrower would do damage but not have a chance to paralyze/burn, because moves like that only might activate said effects.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The way I've seen it explained is like this: you know Serene Grace? Anything that gets affected by that is affected by Encourage. Secondary effects are things that have a chance to happen to the opponent.

So Explosion would still faint it and Hyper Beam would have to recharge because those moves always will have those effects.

Thunderbolt and Flamethrower would do damage but not have a chance to paralyze/burn, because moves like that only might activate said effects.
^ This ^

I couldn't explain it well.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021

When I first saw Encourage i thought of Serene Grace.I know its gonna be like the opposite of Serene Grace,but what I`m saying is wouldn't it be broken if it negated all effects.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
When I first saw Encourage i thought of Serene Grace.I know its gonna be like the opposite of Serene Grace,but what I`m saying is wouldn't it be broken if it negated all effects.

It would be broken if it negated ALL effects besides damage, but I think it only affects status conditions that could be inflicted on the Opposing pokemon. I would hazard to guess that it won't even affect recoil damage, although it would be interesting if it prevented the confusion from using thrash.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
You thought of me? Aw shucks! <3

Anyway, I agree with what XanderO and Dominus Temporis have noted. Moves like Hyper Beam's recharge effect aren't secondary but more of a reparation for using such a strong move. That and, if the recharge was absent, these moves would be overused and overpowered in battle.

So, it looks like the ability removes the chance to paralyze, burn, freeze, sleep, flinch and confuse a foe - not removing the recharge effect from Hyper Beam.

Numbers

Say my name
Years

^ This ^

I couldn't explain it well.

Yeah, what he said. I think it's only status problems and moves that have a chance of lowering the opponents stats.

Back