• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokemon Project" (yeah, I still need a name for it >.>)

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'm not sure if this is really the right place for this, but oh well.

I been recently bunnied with a really interesting idea for a Pokemon game, hopefully a lot different from the other ones out there because I'm getting so sick of every fan game looking exactly the same. I haven't really tried making one in years since I also got so fed up with the limited ability of ROM hacking, but I absolutely love how much more flexible it is now with RPG Maker. Which I had experience with already.

Current story so far(without spoiling much anyway):

Tomorrow is the day you and your best friend were going to become official trainers. And to help celebrate that big day, a party was thrown for both of you. And later on during the party, you receive a gift that was sent from your dad: a single empty pokeball(seems like a really lame gift, but currently the whole continent is having an extreme shortage of them. Anyone is lucky just to find one). You seem rather disappointed that it couldn't be anything else, but you figure to keep it around anyway. Since afterall it's better than nothing, and also meant that you could easily catch a second pokemon after you got a starter.

Later on, you notice that your friend has suddenly disappeared, and you are sent to go look for him. Some people think that he must've went inside the forest that was nearby so you eventually check there. Sure enough you find him, have a short talk, and just as both of you were about to head back home, a pokemon attacks you both(that seemed highly more aggressive than normal). Neither of you have anything to fight against it, nor was it going to give you a chance to run away. Until then, a second pokemon showed up, this time an Absol. You remembered that you still had that pokeball with you, and even though the Absol was still perfectly healthy, you tried capturing it anyway. Amazingly enough, it worked somehow, and so you quickly used the Absol to defeat the other pokemon.

As you return back home, you tell the others what happened and that you caught an Absol using your dad's pokeball.The town however, is not too fond with your new pokemon friend, due to the fact that Absol is known to be a pokemon that brings terrible luck and is considered to be a bad omen all together. As harsh as it was, they tell you to get rid of it before something awful happens. You refuse to give it up, since had it not shown up like it did you don't know where you would be right now.

It's not long after that that you decide to not go through the whole traditional trainer procedure, if it meant loosing the pokemon you had already. So you continue on your adventure with Absol instead. And the plotline only gets much much deeper from there. Mostly involving why the Absol appeared in the first place, and what sort of disaster was it trying to tell everyone about.

Features/Changes/Etc.(also so far)

- All 493 pokemon will be obtainable in some way, most found in the wild, but there will be some that need to be found though other special requirements (like sidequests or prizes), NO fake/new pokemon

- Game will take place on only ONE region. However, this region will probably be huge. More like a continent in fact. If anything it'll be separated by "North, South, East, and West".

- Of course, your only starter pokemon is Absol. Also because it's revered as being like a legendary in this story, it cannot make eggs, despite still being male or female. Nor will you be able to catch another one later on(if you wish to catch the prefect one, you'll have to redo that event over again). To make up for this though it will be able to learn a very special signature move unique only to this game. This will also be the only completely original attack in this game.

- Most pokemon will have slightly altered/improved movesets, most of these new attacks being ones that the pokemon could've only learned by TM

- Pokemon on this region appear to have very unusual "shiny" colors than they do anywhere else(ex: a blue Charizard, a red Scyther). Shiny pokemon might also be much easier to find, just so that it'll be more enjoyable trying to collect them.

- There is a Pokemon League that's spread across the continent, still figuring out how it's gonna all work, but for the most part it's almost completely OPTIONAL. That's right. probably about 95% of the game will focus around the story line that's going on rather than badge hunting. Think of it as "Final Fantasy done with Pokemon" if you will.

- Much much more.

The Help Wanted Ad:

Yeah, kinda the whole point of this post. I need help/suggestions on a lot of things...

Biggest one at the moment? Names. Usually, I'm good at thinking of them, but I'm just drawing a total blank right now. Any sort of ideas would be great, this includes characters, locations, and also game title(though I kind of have ideas already). I should warn though that I want to break anyway from classic Pokemon trends and other cliches. No gem/color versions, no plant/tree named professors. I'm getting really sick of it, and it's at the point where every single name is taken somewhere anyway.

Other things I need or would like help on? SPRITERS. I need designs for the main characters at least. I can splice, but I'm terrible are making sprites from scratch and making them look decent. I rather just rely on someone else to do it if I can...

Second thing is that I want to upgrade to the DP interface/battle-ish system, without it looking all pixelated and weird. I know some people have done it before but I'm not entirely sure how. And I also want to add in all(hopefully all) the attacks from DP as well.

But... These can all kind of wait for right now(but still would be nice), I'm still just wondering what people think of this idea so far.. I'll try getting some screenshots up soon, I don't know if that rule still goes for games still waiting to be 'reviewed' and all... *still really new here, despite joining in 2005* >.>

Grifstar

Certified Shark Bait
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Oh, that might help... (Currently I was using Seventh Sanctum and found absolutely nothing helpful there) I'll have to check that place out.

RPG Maker XP, with the Pokemon Essentials starter kit.

Back