• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] (Platinum) Inserted graphics will not display in game

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    So I have a bit of an odd issue. I am doing a graphical hack of Pokemon Platinum. Exporting, editing, and re-inserting the graphics into pokegra.narc works perfectly fine. The images are the right format (8BPP 16 color indexed), they display correctly in PokeDsPic, I write to the .narc file, and I use Nitro Explorer to reinsert the .narc file into the rom.

But when I load the game and get into a battle, the Pokemon's edited graphics do not show up. I tried editing Bulbasaur, for example, and inserted the new sprites and palettes over his, items 6-11 (and then making him a wild Pokemon to fight in game). But in battle, just regular Bulbasaur shows up.

Am I editing the wrong file? Or is there a step I am missing somewhere? The file I'm editing is root/poketool/pokegra/pokegra.narc

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    You are, the pokemon graphics are stored in pl_pokegra.narc. Just make sure you use the version of pokedspic for platinum and heartgold.

pokegra.narc is a leftover from diamond. The file actually is used for features like the pokemon dressup minigame (since you can share your dressed up pokemon with other players so you wouldnt want a different sprite to mess that up), probably contests and other things. If you're completely replacing pokemon with different pokemon I'd reconmend editing that file, otherwise it can be left alone.

Back