• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Can I get some advice on my team please?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2018
    Hi I'm new to this website and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my team. I mostly want to know if the movesets I've chosen are good, or if I should change it at all. Here it is,

Squirtle
    -Hydro Pump
    -Surf
    -Rest
    -Double Team

Flareon
    -Flamethrower
    -Reflect
    -Take Down
    -Tail Whip

Victreebel
    -Poison Powder
    -Stun Spore
    -Solar Beam
    -razor leaf

Raichu
    -Thunder
    _Thunder Wave
    -mimic
    -Body Slam

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Agility
    -Double Edge
    -Mirror Move

Hypno
    -Psychic
    -Meditate
    -poison gas
    -dream eater

Are these movesets good? What should I change about them? Thanks

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    What is this? is this a competitive team for multiplayer or add in game team? Either way there are a few odd choices. I can't figure out why hypno has dream eater when not a single Pokemon has a sleep inducing move. If it's in game, Pokemon games are very merciful and allow for mistakes. The best way to find out what works is just to play and learn the game. If it's multiplayer you're looking for check out smogon.com

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Hi I'm new to this website and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my team. I mostly want to know if the movesets I've chosen are good, or if I should change it at all. Here it is,

Squirtle
    -Hydro Pump
    -Surf
    -Rest
    -Double Team

Flareon
    -Flamethrower
    -Reflect
    -Take Down
    -Tail Whip

Victreebel
    -Poison Powder
    -Stun Spore
    -Solar Beam
    -razor leaf

Raichu
    -Thunder
    _Thunder Wave
    -mimic
    -Body Slam

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Agility
    -Double Edge
    -Mirror Move

Hypno
    -Psychic
    -Meditate
    -poison gas
    -dream eater

What I'm about to say depends on what you want advice for: PvP(Multiplayer/Competitive play) or PvE(simply beating the game). I'm going to base my analysis on PvE.

Squirtle: Two Water moves, a replenish/status remover in Rest and an Evasion move. Not bad I suppose but being that Squirtle can learn an Ice Move for Dragon Types, might consider dropping Rest or Double Team for one(Ice Beam or Blizzard). Makes beating Elite 4 that much easier.

Flareon: Ahh the Fire Evolution of Eevee. Flamethrower and Reflect are solid moves, as is Take Down(although the recoil can suck). Might recommend replacing Tail Whip with another move like Hyper Beam or Fire Blast to give it a stronger attack. Also Body Slam is nearly as powerful as Take Down but is much more accurate and without the recoil.

Raichu: Thunder Wave is a vastly underrated status move and Thunder, while a strong Electric attack, can miss far too often. Recommend you give it Thunderbolt so that you have a reliable Electric Attack to fall back on. Body Slam is a solid physical move but why Mimic? One thing that makes Pikachu relatively unique is that few Pokemon can beat it on a Quick Attack.

Pidgeot: Fly is a great move but that's all I like about the move set. Unless you're facing Pokemon far above you level wise(or an Electric/Psychic type), Pidgeot should be able to beat them in terms of Speed, although I suppose Agility has its merits. Double Edge is powerful(100 power) but has 25% Recoil(which can sting). Mirror Move, from a PvE standpoint, will rarely come in handy(if at all). Plus you got rid of its Sand Attack, which honestly is a move that annoys me more than anything when playing Generation 1(I hate Accuracy reducing moves and they can come in very handy in a prolonged battle).

Hypno: Psychic is a given but why Meditate? Meditate raises Attack Power and seeing as you lack a Physical Attack that's a move I'd remove ASAP. Furthermore, without Hypnosis to put enemies to sleep, Dream Eater is completely useless to you. Poison Gas I suppose can be an annoyance but this move-set is a complete disaster.

Victreebel: Two Grass moves and two status moves, Stun Spore I can see but why Poisonpowder? Heck an effective tactic that drives me nuts when I'm in Erika's Gym is getting paralyzed via Stun Spore and then Wrap'd to death. Plus Victreebel can learn Body Slam(a strong physical attack) that takes advantage of its decent Attack Power.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Hi I'm new to this website and I was wondering if I could get some advice on my team. I mostly want to know if the movesets I've chosen are good, or if I should change it at all. Here it is,

Squirtle
    -Hydro Pump
    -Surf
    -Rest
    -Double Team

Flareon
    -Flamethrower
    -Reflect
    -Take Down
    -Tail Whip

Victreebel
    -Poison Powder
    -Stun Spore
    -Solar Beam
    -razor leaf

Raichu
    -Thunder
    _Thunder Wave
    -mimic
    -Body Slam

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Agility
    -Double Edge
    -Mirror Move

Hypno
    -Psychic
    -Meditate
    -poison gas
    -dream eater

Like everybody else, I'll assume this is an in-game team.

First of all- Squirtle. Keep Surf, but I recommend Ice Beam, Earthquake and Skull Bash. Ice Beam for Grass weakness and Dragon Types, Earthquake as a response to its Electric weakness, and Skull Bash as it's kind of the Squirtle line's signature move. If not Skull Bash, then something like Strength, Mega Punch, or Submission. And I would also recommend using 2 Rare Candies to evolve Squirtle into Blastoise. Much more effective in the late game.

Flareon- Mostly decent moveset. I would replace Tail Whip with Swift (Route 12). Takes advantage of Flareon's high attack and never misses the target. Take Down is ok but I would teach it Strength as it's almost as powerful and no recoil damage.

Victreebel- Replace Poison Powder with Toxic (better poisoning move that does more damage). Replace Stun Spore with Double Team (at Celadon Department Store) so you evade damage whilst your opponent is suffering poison and this can also buy you time to get off a Solar Beam without taking damage. Also, Razor Leaf is ok but consider replacing it with Mega Drain- STAB, restores HP, chips away in addition to Toxic damage).

Raichu- Mostly decent moveset. I would only replace Mimic with Submission (at Celadon Department Store) for coverage against Ground weakness (since most ground types used in Gen 1 by NPC's are part Rock). Also, consider replacing Thunder with Thunderbolt for accuracy (it's not absolutely necessary to do that though).

Pidgeot- Keep Fly and Double Edge, replace the other two with Double Team and Reflect (both from Celadon Department Store). Pidgeot already outspeeds a good majority of Pokemon in Gen 1 so it doesn't need Agility, however, improving to its evasiveness is a good idea. Also, upping its' defence as well as evasiveness makes it harder to kill.

Hypno- Keep Psychic. Replace Poison Gas and meditate with Double Team and Reflect for the above reasons. Also why Dream Eater when you have no moves to induce sleep? It wouldn't have any effect otherwise. Hypno's attack is garbage so any physical moves make no sense. Try Metronome (Pokemon Lab on Cinnabar Island). At least you could get something decent. Bright side is that Psychic Types have no weakness in Gen 1 so you could risk the Metronome.

Last edited:
    Back