• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Pokemon Stats - Best

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Hi guys,

I don't really get it with the Pokemon Stats.
    I have catched a Corviknight and trainend it for a while. Attached are its Stats. Level 71.

Also I've catched a Corviknight from a Dynamax Raid. Level 70.

When I look at the Attack Stats now. It says that it is best for the Dynamax Corviknight, however the Stat is much lower than the Attack Stat from the other Corviknight where it saids "just" fantastic.

So why does it say "Best" with the Dynamax Corviknight even the Attack is so low?
    May you help me with that descriptions?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      174.4 KB · Views: 12

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Your Pokémon gain EVs by battling wild Pokémon or by using items like Calciums and Proteins. These EVs will boost the stats of your Pokémon over time.

Depending on when you got your Lv 71 Corviknight, the chances are it has maxed out its possible number of EVs acquired, whereas your Raid Battle Corviknight won't have any EVs if it hasn't been in any battles.

You can boost the Level 70 Corviknight's stats by using Proteins (26 will fully max out its Attack) or by battling Pokémon that give out Attack EVs when you beat. An example would be Machoke, who you can find in the Wild Area near the entrance to Hammerlocke.

Also, your Raid Battle Corviknight has a Nature that lowers its Attack stat (shown by the blue colouring of Attack, whereas the stat in the red colour is boosted). If you can get a nature candy from the Battle Tower, you could fix that problem.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    You can boost the Level 70 Corviknight's stats by using Proteins (26 will fully max out its Attack) or by battling Pokémon that give out Attack EVs when you beat. An example would be Machoke, who you can find in the Wild Area near the entrance to Hammerlocke.

Hi,
    thanks very much for your answer.

So you mean that disregarding from the bad nature of the Dynamax Level 70 Corviknight it would be possible to boost the Stats? But why does it say "Best" in this case? This makes no sense at all for me.
    I would interpret that "Best" means that you can't get any further here.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • "Best" relates to the Pokémon's IVs, which as well as natures and EVs have an affect on how high a Pokémon's stats can get. The better the IV is, the higher the stat can be raised.

"Best" is the highest IV a Pokémon can have. Pokémon caught from Raid Battles usually have several perfect IVs, as your Corviknight does. The IVs a Pokémon has are randomly generated each time you catc/hatch one. It is possible to boost IVs that aren't in the "Best" category, albeit difficult. It would require getting an Pokémon to Lv 100 and exchanging Bottle Caps with someon in the Battle Tower who offers "Hyper Training".

Getting the highest possible stat on a specific Pokémon requires you to have a perfect IV in that stat (ie "Best"), a nature that boosts that stat, and max EVs in that stat. The main way to boost the stats is by getting the EVs, which you do by battling Pokémon or using certain items such as Proteins.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi guys,

I don't really get it with the Pokemon Stats.
    I have catched a Corviknight and trainend it for a while. Attached are its Stats. Level 71.

Also I've catched a Corviknight from a Dynamax Raid. Level 70.

When I look at the Attack Stats now. It says that it is best for the Dynamax Corviknight, however the Stat is much lower than the Attack Stat from the other Corviknight where it saids "just" fantastic.

So why does it say "Best" with the Dynamax Corviknight even the Attack is so low?
    May you help me with that descriptions?

I'll explain too, maybe it's clearer for you then.

To get to what you want to know, I'll explain everything about stats. Basically, each of a Pokémon's stats is determined by 4 factors:

1. The base stat value, a number for each stat. All Pokémon of the same species have the same base stats, and they tell you, in general, which stat is high or low for that species, and how it compares to other species. You can't see them ingame, but you can find them on Bulbapedia, the Pokémon wiki. Roughly speaking, a Pokémon's stats at level 50 will be about the same as its species' base stats (except HP, it's calculated differently).

For example, Cinderace has base Speed 119, while Inteleon has base Speed 120. Both of these are high, so you can usually expect both of them to be faster than an opponent, and Inteleon will usually be a bit faster than Cinderace. Copperajah on the other hand has base Speed 40, so it's usually very slow.

However, as you surely have seen, different Rookidee you catch often have different stats from each other. How stats grow for an individual Pokémon is determined by the remaining 3 factors, which correspond to talent, hard work and personality.

2. Individual values (also called IVs or individual strengths) are 6 numbers, one for each stat, that every individual Pokémon has. They work as a "talent meter", and are what the judge function tells you is "No Good", "Fantastic" or "Best" - an IV can be any number from 0 (no good) to 31 (best). If two Pokémon are the same in everything but an IV in a stat, the one with higher IVs will have that stat higher, but not by a lot. IVs don't change stats drastically, but they are noticeable.

3. Effort values, also called EVs or base points, are points collected by a Pokémon as it is trained that slowly raise its stats. They model hard work and excercise.

They are the reason why trained Pokémon are stronger than freshly caught ones of the same level, like your two Corviknight: the one you had for a long time has much higher Attack than the one you caught in a raid because you battled a lot with her and excercised her Attack stat, even though her talent for Attack is lower than the newcomer's - she worked hard to become stronger.

EVs can raise stats significantly, much more than IVs. A Copperajah trained a lot in Speed can become as fast as averagely fast Pokémon, even though Copperajah are usually very slow. EVs have limits, though, so it'll never be as fast as Inteleon.

More precisely about EVs:
    Spoiler:

4. Finally, an individual's Nature affects stats. Each Nature lowers one stat by 10% (indicared by its name being blue in the stats screen) and raises another by 10% (the red one). If the two stats it raises and lowers are the same, it doesn't change anything.

And that's why your new Corviknight is weaker despite being talented. If you train her, she'll probably end up with slightly higher Attack than your old one.

Hope this helped you!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Hi,

thanks your perfect explanations. It helped me a lot.

So it seems that the IV (good, fantastic, best...) isn't that important. Only in order you want the absolute best possible pokemon. But if you want a strong competitive pokemon where you don't aspire to be the absolute best, EV and Nature is more important.
    Furthermore, everything seems to be very time-intensive in this area.

Years
  • One thing to note as well, is that the specific instance you provided (very good, best, fantastic) represent very minor differences in IV. The stat judge has the following responses:

0 - No Good
    1-15 - Decent
    16 - 25 - Pretty Good
    26 - 29 - Very Good
    30 - Fantastic
    31 - Best

Another thing to keep in mind is that IVs and EVs alike are static, not proportional, in their impact. So the lower a base stat, the more impact they have. Conversely, the higher the base stat, the lower the impact. With a Conkeldurr with a base speed of 45, if it has maxed IVs and EVs, it will have literally double the speed of a Conkeldurr which has 0 IV and 0 EV for speed. However a Cinderace or Inteleon mentioned with a base speed of 120(ish), with max IV and EV will be roughly 35% faster than one with double zeros. Even with the Conkeldurr though, since EVs have twice the impact of IVs, and the 30ish% difference max vs minimum IVs represent for its speed is only 10-20% different from a "Best" to a "Very Good", the "Very Good" Conkeldurr will only be 3-6% slower than the "Best".

This all makes differences in IVs minor things that indeed only really play a role in competitive pokemon battles, and even then they're not the primary factor which will cause you to win or lose. The one thing to note, however, is that with Pokemon, the faster Pokemon goes first, which can have a massive impact. If a pokemon is 3% faster, and that 3% makes it just 1 speed higher than the opponent, they can OHKO the opponent, or cause them to flinch, or paralyze them, or put them to sleep, or whatever, with the opponent having no turn at all just because of that 1 speed. Same thing with attack or defense - if it's the difference between being knocked out or not, it doesn't matter if it's 3% or 30%, it's the difference between having a chance to respond or not, so it makes a HUGE difference. So though in general it doesn't play a large role, in the situations where it Does come into play, it matters quite a bit.

As a final note, it doesn't HAVE to be time intensive. There are ways to breed up huge IV values using a specially prepared Ditto, to breed up specific natures as well, and once you have the nature and IVs you want, EVs can take all of a minute, with a trip to the store and about 500k in pokedollars. I recommend looking into those things if you ever decide to get into preparing competitive pokemon. Until that point yeah you'll be fine if you ignore it, especially for virtually all in game play against NPC opponents.

Back