• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    First i just want to say thanks for that awesome and amazing hack, I just have 2 suggestions please can you make ips with trainer pokémon sprites palettes gen 2 and add pokeball that show if pokemon is owned in wild battle please and thank you

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    A problem with the latest version when making.

error: Unable to open incbin file 'pic/bmon/mew.pic'
    make: *** [Makefile:42: main_red.o] Error 1

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    A problem with the latest version when making.

error: Unable to open incbin file 'pic/bmon/mew.pic'
    make: *** [Makefile:42: main_red.o] Error 1

Well...just my luck. The RGBGFX tool that auto-converts png files to the gameboy's native format can't understand the string symbols.

Okay, easy fix.

I pushed another update to github. All I did was revert the regular and modified main.asm files to use the normal filepaths rather than string symbols for front pics. This makes it so the gfx converter actually does its job.

You still have to go in and do a replace-all in the monfrontpic_constants.asm file, but that is a lot easier than trying to edit all 151 baseStats files one by one. This will take care of pokemon headers having the correct pic sizes.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    I decided to just use bmon front sprites with the space world back sprites because they go together really well. I also made a few edits to some back sprites so they match better. Thanks.
    OqYTfK7.png

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I decided to just use bmon front sprites with the space world back sprites because they go together really well. I also made a few edits to some back sprites so they match better. Thanks.
    OqYTfK7.png

Good idea, to pair the Blue fronts and Spaceworld backs. They're clearly designed for each other.

For Koffing, if you want it to stay on-model with the skull under the face, you could shift the mouth and eyes to match how its body is curved:

OrRxUDz.png

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    OqYTfK7.png

Yea, it's really interesting how a lot of the blue fronts match the spaceworld backs. Not all though. The spaceworld backs seem to pull from green, blue, and yellow. Ninetails matches the yellow front. Machamp doesn't match up with anything likely because it's intended front sprite was never completed

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I'm getting a very rare bug where the exp bar will go to full and act funky during battle. I'm having just the worst time trying to replicate it. If it happens to anyone else, please post here with details.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Have u guys discovered if its possible to use the backsprites from the beta game? i want use the front from original red and the back from beta game.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I really want to play this hack. But i dont know how to use Red original sprites and beta bacmsprites. Plus 151 obtainable and infinite tms. Where can i find a tutorial?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I really want to play this hack. But i dont know how to use Red original sprites and beta bacmsprites. Plus 151 obtainable and infinite tms. Where can i find a tutorial?

Changing out the sprites will require that you edit the source files and recompile on your own.

Pret team's pokered project has instructions on how to setup and execute the compiler:
    https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/master/INSTALL.md

For changes you need to make, view the instructions in this folder:
    https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/tree/master/how to change pkmn sprites

TMs are not infinite, but they are always purchasable. Check the mart inventories and prize corner in the /data folder.
    https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/blob/master/data/mart_inventories.asm
    https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/blob/master/data/prizes.asm

Wild pokemon locations match to their vanilla counterparts. The exceptions are listed on the github's main README under "#Added Encounter Locations for the following pokemon". You can also confirm each location by looking through the files in the data/wildPokemon folder.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    EDIT: Please update your games from v1.12 to the latest v1.13 beta. I just implemented a band-aide that stops the game corner from crashing on entry.

V1.13 beta has been pushed to github and patches added to the ips_patches folder. If you run into a problem with the beta patch, your SAV file will be compatible with v1.12 and you can always swap back to that one.

Hack-Induced Bugfixes & Adjustments since v1.12:
    • Switched around the shiny palettes in how they correspond to the usual pokemon palettes
    • Random enemy team generator is more forgiving with level scaling for regular trainers: increases 0-1 levels per mon instead of 0-3
    • Route 12 fisher given some magikarp to match his trainer text
    • TMs and HMs now use a separate string list to determine their item names, so function GetMachineName has been removed
    • Tm & HM name list takes the #3 list table spot and replaces the Unused Names list

New features & adjustments since v1.12:
    • If playing on super gameboy, hold select when loading a pokedex entry to see that pokemon's shiny palette
    • DVs of trainer pokemon are set back to vanilla default levels if using the "shift" battle style
    • TMs and HMs now have their attacks (albeit abbreviated) appended to the item names

I have done only minimal testing on the TM/HM item names. Need to go full Bugcatcher on this one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    hi i have finished the game V1.12 in red and blue and i have noticed that:
    1- after elite 4 the game broken when i go in the game corner pokemon
    2- when i catch wild pokemon and go to the bill pc to withdraw some have name completely broken and sometime if i choose him the game crash so i retry until that i can release him i recatch another
    3- in blue hm05 transform to a think that i can only sell for 465 235
    4- there is no wild porygon in pokemon blue
    PS: the game is awesome keep the good work man tnks for that and sorry if i have a bad english

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    hi i have finished the game V1.12 in red and blue and i have noticed that:
    1- after elite 4 the game broken when i go in the game corner pokemon
    2- when i catch wild pokemon and go to the bill pc to withdraw some have name completely broken and sometime if i choose him the game crash so i retry until that i can release him i recatch another
    3- in blue hm05 transform to a think that i can only sell for 465 235
    4- there is no wild porygon in pokemon blue
    PS: the game is awesome keep the good work man tnks for that and sorry if i have a bad english

Porygon not being wild in Blue is intentional. It costs much less in the game corner, as opposed to Red where it is 9999 coins.

Post a reply with your SAV file attached, and I'll see what things look like.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    The V1.13 beta has been re-uploaded. It now contains a major hotfix for v1.12 that keeps the game corner from crashing. Please apply the patch to a fresh rom.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    View attachment 91530 you can see the bug at the game corner and in box 5 for pokemon

Okay, so I'm looking at the hex values of your save file. Good news is that the game corner crash is fixed with the re-upload of v1.13 that I just did.

Pikasav is showing a lv67 Clefairy, a lvl 55 Dragonite, and lvl 63 Gloom as the glitched pokemon in box 5. So that data seems to be intact. I'll have to research more.

Edit: The pokemon in box 5 have corrupted nicknames. They can be safely withdrawn, and then use the name rater in Lavender Town to rename them.

Edit 2: Catching pokemon with your stock of master balls is not creating any glitched nicknames. HM 5 is also looking okay. I can't verify these two problems on a freshly patched rom.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    thank you for the feedback
    i can help you with some more information generaly the problem with glitched pokemon happens when i catch wild pokemon with rod
    PS: in the beginning i did not have the corrupted name for the 3 pokemon but when i catched lapras with super rod in safari zone they become corrupted and i catched goldeen but i found it corrupted

Back