• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] The COLLECT-A-FRIEND Game Jam!

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
CAFGJ_banner.jpg

I've always been a fan of adding members to my party in an RPG. It felt like I was finding a great new toy, or making an awesome new friend. In the spirit of games like Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters and Shin Megami Tensei, I'm holding the first-ever COLLECT-A-FRIEND GAME JAM!

During the contest period (8:30 PM EST 06/21/2019 - 11:30 PM EST 07/12/2019), I want to see what AMAZING things other game devs can do with this party building mechanic. If you're looking for examples, check out my games, Monstructs: Makers and Mayhem and Slime Kingdom. Other great examples to learn from are Gladatora and Middens.

Now for the most important part!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRIZES!
I will be giving away Steam game keys equaling to $250!
[GRAND] $100 PRIZE
Bendy and the Ink Machine - $19.99
Solace Crafting - $14.99
[Tales of Maj'Eyal - $6.99
ToME DLC - $6.99 ] === $13.98
Rogue State - $12.99
Zombie Party - $9.99
Castle Torgeath - $7.99
SanctuaryRPG - $7.99
Herolike - $7.99
Just Ignore Them - $3.99
Fur Up - $1.99
[1st] $75 PRIZE
Dungeons 3 - $39.99
Bohemian Killing - $12.99
Techwars Online 2 - $11.99
Coffee Crisis - $9.99
Fjong - $1.99
[2nd] $50 PRIZE
Hollow Knight - $14.99
Dungeon Souls - $12.99
Atomic Heist - $7.99
BalanCity - $7.99
Old Man's Journey - $7.99
[3rd] $25 PRIZE
Jotun - $14.99
DeathState - 9.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RULES

]]]} OPEN TO ALL SOLO DEVS AND DEV TEAMS {[[[

*****All games MUST be started on the BEGIN date of the JAM!*****
****NSFW/Adult allowed as long as it's not gratuitous****
***Commercial/Noncommercial Games are allowed***
**Assets can be used from previous projects, as long as they are either RTP, Custom, Purchased or Commissioned! (assets from other creators included WITH PERMISSION and PROPER CREDIT!)**
*ALL LEGALLY PURCHASED GAME ENGINES WELCOMED! (RPG MAKER PREFERRED)*

=========================================================================================================
I want to wish everyone participating a great deal of FUN and SUCCESS!
Feel free to contact me on DISCORD!
https://discord.gg/JkfEh67

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
As much as it sounds interesting, I bet it will be removed from here. We are not allowed to make any type of money from the games made here, unless is something very original, but those you can count on one hand and most of developers here barelly touch something not pokémon related (as in looks/engines).

I'll double-check for you, but I don't think it's obviously against the rules to offer prizes for a game jam (or anything else). My reasoning is that you're not selling your game for any amount of money, you're just receiving some goods, but I guess if people were using Steam keys to get around the rules against donations we'd have a problem with that… Anyway, that's an interesting point komaoto and I'll make sure the discussion happens so that we can update the rules to be explicit about whether it's okay or not.

Also I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to seeing what things people come up with! I bet there are some really cool ideas people could bring to the Pokémon formula to spice things up; or maybe there will be non-Pokémon entries that can inspire Pokémon fans to add similar mechanics.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
As much as it sounds interesting, I bet it will be removed from here. We are not allowed to make any type of money from the games made here, unless is something very original, but those you can count on one hand and most of developers here barelly touch something not pokémon related (as in looks/engines).

While you are correct that monetary transactions are not permitted, offering prizes in the form of gift cards (or game codes, in this case) are permissible. PC has offered Gift Cards as prizes for events in the past, so it would be unreasonable to say they cannot offer a similar award. PC is not affiliated with this Game Jam in any way, but posting on here implies that they are also obeying our rules, and gift codes are allowed.

If you have further concerns, the rules were set by administrators. Check with the names in pink if you have any further questions regarding that.

Last edited:

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
Also, to clarify, I'm not looking for people to make fan games. This is a challenge to help people better explore this idea of party building/recruitment. I want to see how inventive people can be in regards to this mechanic.

Back