• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Runaway

Years
  • Chapter 1: My name is?

The brightness of the day became muted as the sky overhead was slowly invaded by bleak clouds like a blanket being drawn over the sun. Thin droplets fell erratically from the pregnant clouds leaving dime sized wet patches on the dirt path of route 202.

As the rain grew fatter and faster a young boy scrambled for shelter from the quickening droplets that pelted him like darts. The child ran his hands through his spiky black hair, slicking out some of the water. He had a now wet pair of square frame glasses that made his blue eyes seem darker than they actually were.

He began to wipe dry the spectacles with the bottom of his grey shirt that was still dry. He was thankful that he had decided to wear his blue jacket and black jeans instead of opting for a more tropical outfit.
    His red and white sneakers were filthy, mostly covered in dirt and mud picked up on his trek from Sandgem town. A quick glance over his shoulder and he was able to confirm that his backpack was fine.

A drop landed on his neck causing his body to shudder; despite the tree offering some respite the leaves above shook as rain fell. The air in the forest was different; he had never noticed it before since he spent his whole life sheltered in Sandgem.

He leaned back, resting against the trunk of the tree as he reached into his pocket and pulled out an odd pokeball and a pokedex. Neither belonged to him a few hours ago but now they were registered in his name so as far as the world was concerned they were his.

The shame of stealing from old man Rowan caused a lump to form in his throat. He had seen the old man register his friends? pokedex?s and was able to replicate the feat due to the old man?s trusting nature, he never locked his PC, and so it was his fault this happened. That?s what he was telling himself.
    ?Beside, this is mine. This pokedex would have been mine years ago if SHE let me leave?, the resentful words rang in his head trying to justify his actions. The guilt swelled within him but the anger and bitterness he felt were enough to keep that in check.

He could rationalize ?taking? the pokedex in his head but the Pok?mon inside the pokeball he couldn?t. He wanted a starter but none of the starters had hatched, instead he had to misappropriate this one.
    The pokeball was unlike any other he had seen; it was almost entirely black aside from a gold band around the middle with a gold button and rings of red and gold on both halves. He didn?t know what Pok?mon was contained within; all he knew was that it was sent to the old man by a colleague.

?I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is? I don?t know what this is??

The words ricocheted in his head making him feel nauseous as everything began to unravel. It began to slowly dawn on him just how badly planned this was, he was guided purely by anger and now that he was calmer he could see how stupid he had been.

?What do you mean I can?t be a Pok?mon trainer? I did everything you said, I came out top of my class.?

?You?re still too young.?

?I?m almost 13; all my friends have left with their Pok?mon over the last three years! Everyone I grew up with is gone.?

?No, I will not allow you to become a Pok?mon trainer. You?re going to stay in school, graduate and get a proper job.?

?Why should I stay in school? You?ve never come to single event at school. You?re not here in the mornings and when I get back! You?re always working at that stupid job or with your stupid boyfriend. I hate you. I hate you. I bet dad hates you too, that?s why he left.?

He put the pokedex back into his jacket pocket and held his cheek. It was the first time his mother had slapped him. He could have handled it if that was all but it was the words that she whispered under her breath that drove him away, ?you? were a mistake?.

He was old enough to know what she meant by those words. If she didn?t want him in her life, he didn?t need her. Bitterness fuelled the drive for his ill advised and unplanned venture into the world. He had practically raised himself since she was always working, he didn?t need anyone.

He clicked on the centre of the pokeball expanding it before holding the device away from his body releasing the creature within to a flash of white light. The light faded revealing a serpentine like Pok?mon with a blue body and a white underside.

It had white, three-pronged fins on the sides of its head and a white bump on its forehead. Above its large, round, white snout were purple eyes that were fixed on him.

The boy muttered in awe as he had never seen a Pok?mon like this before. He pulled out his pokedex again, this time to use the device. He held it over the Pok?mon.

?Dratini, the Dragon Pok?mon. As it grows, it sheds its skin regularly. Whenever Dratini undergoes shedding, it hides behind a large waterfall. Although this Pok?mon was originally thought to be nothing more than a myth, it has been found in colonies living underwater.?

He kneeled down to get a better look as it slide along the ground. He placed his hand gentle on the Pok?mon?s head, to his surprise the Pok?mon took a liking to the affection and seemed to egg him on for more.

?I?m in so much trouble.? He murmured to himself as the realisation of how rare this Pok?mon really was hit him.

Dratini climbed up his arm, forcing the issue that the Pok?mon wanted to be cradled like a baby. He obliged not really sure how to handle it. As he tried to make the dragon Pok?mon happy he glanced at the pokedex and noticed that it had listed the Pok?mon?s moves.

?Wrap, Thunder Wave, Twister, Dragon Pulse?

It felt strange to hold the Pok?mon in his arms. The dragon seemed to echo some feeling he resonated with inside, the lack of affection that he experienced growing up. He could tell this Pok?mon had lived a similar life.

The rain began to die down but the blanket of clouds refused to relinquish their stranglehold over the sky. He placed the dragon Pok?mon down, resisting its attempts to cling to him. He kneeled down to lock eyes with his Pok?mon and tried to speak in the most reassuring voice he could.

?It?s okay; I?m always going to be by your side. You?re my partner now. My name is??

A loud, chirpy bark startled him leaving the words lost in his mouth as he scanned his surroundings for the source of the half snarl.

A few feet away from him was a Pok?mon that emerged from wherever it was taking shelter and now he was seemingly in its path. The small feline Pok?mon?s front half was light blue, while the rear was black. Spiked fur surrounded the base of its whipping tail, which was tipped with a yellow star shape.

He aimed the pokedex at the new Pok?mon; he knew it by name but wanted more information.

?Shinx, the Flash Pok?mon. When it senses danger, the hairs on its body light up and it runs away, leaving its opponent dazed.? The robotic voice of the pokedex droned on.

Dratini slid forward, putting itself between its human and the Shinx. The flash Pok?mon had been glaring at the boy but now Dratini had come into its focus. The instant Shinx locked eyes with Dratini, the dragon Pok?mon shuddered as if a chill ran down its spine.

He cursed as he figured the wild Pok?mon?s Intimidate ability had just weakened his Pok?mon?s attack. His mind raced as he tried to think of the ideal way to handle this scenario but as he hesitated, Shinx's body became surrounded in blue electricity as it sprinted towards Dratini and slammed itself into the dragon.

?Dratini, are you alright?!? He screamed unsure of himself as his heart raced due to this first taste of battle.

The dragon Pok?mon nodded as it shook of the effects of the blue electricity while the Shinx retreated to give itself space. His heart seemed to calm as the damage wasn?t as bad as he thought.

?Dragon pulse!? He ordered hoping the powerful dragon type attack would defeat the Shinx or at least send it running.

Dratini glowed light blue as it opened its mouth pulling the energy from around its body into a turquoise energy ball in front of its mouth. With a shrill cry the ball of energy was launched at the flash Pok?mon.

The orb of energy never reached Shinx as the attack fell apart midair, the power dissipating into the atmosphere leaving Shinx unharmed but bewildered.

The inexperienced trainer took advantage of the situation and whipped a pokeball at the flash Pok?mon. The ball flew true and struck Shinx on the head, splitting open while turning the Pok?mon into a form of energy that it sucked in and trapped.

The pokeball snapped shut before falling to the ground. The centre flickered red as the pokeball rattled, the Shinx trying to escape. The pokeball settled as the Shinx seemed to give up but it wasn?t to be as the pokeball abruptly ripped open causing the energy to reform into an angrier Shinx.

?Shoot! It was so close, too!?

The flash Pok?mon?s body became surrounded by blue sparks as it gathered electricity, it was seemingly pulling in static from the air around it and absorbing it into its body giving it a more defined and buffer look.

?Quick, twister!?

A veil of wind gathered around the dragon Pok?mon as it began flicking its tail in a circular motion creating an orb of wind. Its tail stopped launching the orb which transformed into a mini tornado as it flew.

Shinx swiftly side stepped allowing the twister to pass by and slam into the tree behind it. The attack struck the trunk with a force that rattled the entire tree. Shinx seemed to smirk at its superior speed but before the flash Pok?mon could make a move something dropped from the tree.

A green egg seemed to fall but it was more like it was being lowered. The egg descended as a white sticky substance clung to it like threads keeping the egg suspended. The threads began snapping causing the egg to lower until it fell providentially onto a tuft of grass before rolling towards Dratini.

The sneer quickly faded of Shinx?s face as it realised the situation it was it. The flash Pok?mon barked at Dratini begging the dragon not to touch the egg. The dragon Pok?mon paid no heed to the warning and nudged the egg with its tail.

Dratini began to squirm as it tried to get the egg off, it appeared that a sticky residue was coating the egg causing it to stick to the dragon.

The treetop began to hum with life as leaves fell to the ground, the wispy noise of creatures unseen stirring grew louder and louder. The tree continued to rattle, the shaking growing more violent causing it to shed more leaves.

The tree top now practically bare revealed the terrifying sight beneath, intertwined between the branches was a massive web overflowing with red arachnid like Pok?mon covered in black stripes, the frightening Pok?mon moving agitatedly with their four nimble legs across the webbings.

With a trembling arm he aimed the pokedex at the tree hoping for good news.

?Ariados, the Long Leg Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Spinarak. It attaches silk to its prey and sets it free. Later, it tracks the silk to the prey and its friends.?

He glanced down at the egg stuck to Dratini, the green egg had two spots and a curved line forming the image of a smiling face, the tell tale signs of a Spinarak egg.

To be continued

Authors Note:
    Thank you for reading.
    Please let me know what you think and if you have any constructive criticisms.

Back