• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 1] Taco's Genuine Playthrough of Gen 1

tacoconut

Wooper Enthusiast
Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Let me break it to you: I've never been enthusiastic about trying the original Gen 1 games. I wasn't too impressed by how buggy it was and the colorlessness of the game. The only things I liked about the OG Gen 1 games were the art style and limited Pokémon.

While I still sort of have that mindset, I want to change it. Anyways, why judge it if I've never tried it? So today, I'm officially starting my first playthrough of Gen 1. I decided to choose Pokémon Yellow, as I've heard it's the "best" original Gen 1 game and it has some color to it.

Anyways, here are some rules I'll try to follow:
    Spoiler:

And here are some of my goals for my playthrough:
    (will update)
    Spoiler:

Updates will be done through comments, prob after each gym. This is also my first thread!

tacoconut

Wooper Enthusiast
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    After countless dialogues, my adventure finally begins! I first admire the game then realize I had a Pokémon to get, haha. I walked into the tall grass to trigger Oak, and I finally get to see Pikachu's gen 1 sprite and cry. For a gen 1 game, the sprites and cry actually look and sound good respectively.

Anyways, after entering the lab, and seeing Tytus' (My rival) selfish ambitions, I actually get the Pikachu we got earlier… lucky me! I named my new friend Yellow. Hopefully Tytus knows how to evolve his Eevee though.

Getting Oak's parcel wasn't too eventful, so I'll skip to the part where I attempt to get a male Nidoran. After fighting some wild Pokémon with Yellow, he was now level 7, and I decided to get a male Nidroan. I didn't expect to get him in Pewter City though. >:(
    After countless encounters, I couldn't find a male Nidoran, so I decided to fight some of the Pokémon I encountered… and that'd be the biggest mistake I've done yet. After finally encountering a male Nidoran, I was too high leveled that now I could one shot the poor thing. At least I got him in Pewter City though. After the fiasco, I decided to name him Naughty.

Anyways, here's my current team:
    - Yellow the Pikachu (Level 12)
    - Moves:
    - Thundershock
    - Quick Attack
    - Tail Whip
    - Thunder Wave

- Naughty the Nidoran (M) (Level 8)
    - Moves:
    - Leer
    - Tackle
    - Horn Attack

See you all soon!

Last edited:

tacoconut

Wooper Enthusiast
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Journal Entry #2
    Two Gyms in One!

After leveling up Naughty and Yellow to a level that can easily rival Brock, I sweep his team using
    Naughty and claim the Boulder Badge.

Unfortunately, after the Pewter City Gym fight there wasn't anything too eventful aside from somehow going through Mt. Moon with 3 HP. (Note: I also got a Moon Stone, which I wouldn't see the purpose of it until later.)

Arriving at Cerulean City, I immediately fight Tytus, do some fights on the bridge, and easily defeat Misty. I then go on the bridge once more to defeat all the trainers, but at the last one… I made a mistake. Instead of forgetting a new move Yellow learned, I had accidentally replaced it with Thundershock. So, I meticulously quit my game, reload it, and had to do the Misty fight and bridge challenge once again. It wasn't brutal though.

After my easy win at Cerulean, I headed north to claim my ticket to the S.S. Anne. I also got a free level 10 Charmander while on the way.

After claiming my ticket to the S.S. Anne, it was now time to go to Vermillion to get Cut. Just as after the Pewter City Gym fight though, it wasn't too eventful.

Finally arriving at Vermilion, I first healed up my Pokémon then went to the S.S. Anne. Did I mention that I kept the Charmander I got in a box? Anyways, I wanted to use Pokémon aside from the starters of Red and Blue, so into the box he went.

Entering the S.S. Anne, my mind was focused on getting that damn Cut HM. After a bit of exploring, I was able to find Tytus and eventually the captain. I rubbed his back, got a free DVD, and decided to fight as much trainers in the cruise as I could. After a few fights I was scrolling through my items list when I saw a Moon Stone, I decided to try and use it and it was compatible with my Nidorino??? Out of curiosity I decided to try it, and I got a Nidoking! If I hadn't used that Moon Stone, I probably would've had a difficult time fighting those trainers.

After defeating almost everyone in the cruise, I said my goodbyes and left. I also revived Yellow, as he died pretty early in my S.S. Anne gauntlet.

Current Team:
    • Pikachu "Yellow" (L: 24)
    • Nidoking "Naughty" (L: 28)

Anyways, this marks the end of my second journal entry. Thanks for reading!

Back