• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Orre, Maybe Someplace Else

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2020
    Part I
    Taupe Tamarack

- Backstory
    - General Character Building
    - First Pokemon (Sniece)

"Well, another fine display, Miss Taupe." A tall, dusty haired, technician announced as the hum of machinery slowed to a silence, ending the process of one of the Simulation Chambers in the center of a sterile looking space. "Your almost fifteen, now. Most Trainers will have a good half decade of field experience over you." He added pressing a button on one of his numerous keyboards, causing the occupied cylinder to hiss open.

Taupe turned her eyes on the man, her left pale and blind. "Yeah, same as last year. Spoken like I'm interested in being a Trainer." She grumbled a response, lifting herself from the metal plate she previously rested upon. You'd think after four years they'd get it.

With an audible sigh the technician rubbed his eyes behind his round framed glasses. "And why not? You seem to handle your disability, well enough. You consistently manage to score in the higher percentiles during Simulation, and only keep improving from there." He paused to watch the sandy-white haired girl make her way across the black marble flooring, over to the wall of a window. "Not to menti-"

"Mother?" Taupe cut in, arms crossed, gazing out to the lush mountain range surrounding the massive facility. "Her aspersions for me?" Her voice now noticably shaking. "What about what I want to do, dad?" She spun to face the man, who now stood only feet away.

Leaning against the nearest computer desk the man exhaled his mild annoyance. "Yes, Pokeball construction. An outdated practice, due to obvious mass production, and more of a hobby at this point. Nobody's stopping you from doing what you like to do, but your mother and I won't let you waste such clear potential." Taking a moment to relax a little. Taupe's father knelt down to be at eye level with his daughter. "So please , just take the Trainer's Exam."

Tears forming, Taupe pressed past her parent almost stumbling in her run. Ignoring the few call outs of familiar voices, while dashing down the white halls of the elaborate complex. Until she got to her own room on the Xth floor. Door quickly closed and locked behind her the sniffling girl flopped onto her bed. 'Eevee' a stuffed animal chimed as it fell to the tiled floor below.

Taupe's eyes widened in response to the sound, tears seemingly coming to a stop. Positioning her head so that her emerald good eye landed on the fluffy fox on the floor. Then crawling to be sitting up the girl stared for a bit before looking over to a row of assorted Apricorns that ran across one of the many shelves lining the room.

On her feet, Apricorn gripped firmly in her left hand. Taupe focused on the Pokemon doll, now propped up at the head of her bed. Preemptively tossing the dried fruit up and down, instinctively catching a few times. With a mixed expression of anger, sadness, and distinct determination she arched her arm forward. Watching her throw come into view, letting the faux Pokeball hurl towards the plush.

*Knock* the fruit struck the wall mere inches from its initial target. Taupe held her follow through, sight on the Apricorn. Mistimed. Straightening up, preparing to try again. The girl was halted by another knock, this one from her bedroom door. Closing her eyes, she sighed slowly making her way over.

"Miss Taupe, a word please." A woman's voice called from the other side.

A few extra moments linger before Taupe swiped her door to be unlocked, turning away. "Yes mother." She couldn't help but almost growl. Reclaiming the sturdy fruit, while sitting down on the edge of her mattress. Her door slid open.

"Causing a little scene are we?" The lab coated woman questioned rhetorically, closing the door from the two young onlookers behind her. Her cliche heels clicked as she made her way over to take a spot on her daughter's right side. "I heard you did well in Simulation, again. Impressive even. So why the drama?"

Fiddling with the faded Blue Apricorn, Taupe didn't look up. "You know why. Your here for the same reason."

"I would assume I am. The Trainer's Exam. Your going to take it this -year." Taupe's mother raised her voice over the beginnings of an obvious retort. "Your taking it this year, and you will pass." Immediately raising from her position she began to make her exit. "So I would start studying, not that I don't have complete faith in you." She added casually. "This is the end of this conversation. We'll discuss your future after you succeed."

How dare you. Taupe stamped to her feet. "How dare you tell me who I am! Who I'm going to be! You and dad both." Taking a few dominant steps forward the girl pleaded. "I'm depressed, confused, and self-conscious, and you confuse it with ignorance! Open your eyes and see the world beyond your pedestal!" The initial look of shock on her mother's face was quickly replaced by a malicious grin, yet no rebuttal was given.

"Whoa, Taupe put 'em in their place. Tell 'em how it is." When the coast was cleared one of the previous onlookers made his way through the still open door. He was a dusty Trainer typical of those found throughout the Orre region, even those registered with Pokemon HQ like he. "So you okay? You know, as well as you can be?"

"I think an appropriate response would be to slap you, just now, but..." Taupe took a deep breath. "I'll be fine, really. Is the best I can give you." Returning her Apricorn to its position on the shelf, she turned with a weak smile. "Especially now that we're rivals, Isekai. Or at least we will be soon."

His face sulking a moment, Isekai tried to smile back. "Uh yeah? I mean, I know you've never held an interest in actual Training, but it's great." He stopped trying to come up with the right words. "To have a real Pokemon Partner at least. Sure you'd appreciate the company, right?" He continued releasing his own Pokemon in a flash of white light. "Tell her, Espeon."

The split tailed purple cat announced it's name happily prancing gently over to be at Taupe's feet. Letting a hand down the girl's smile grew as the animal nuzzled her palm. "The silver lining indeed. To have a best friend at your side. At all times. I'm sure it's worth it." Now kneeling on the floor to properly pet the Pokemon.

"Exactly!" Isekai clapped.

"To watch a Golisopod spear your friend with a First Impression, and call out to them sprawling across the given terrain. Strategize and shout. All the while your friend presses on, literally giving it their all, until they can't any longer." Taupe pulled away slightly as the Espeon looked up inquisitively, shaking it's head. "I appreciate that Pokemon enjoy it in a sense, to grow, but to make that your life? It just doesn't sound right."

Making its disagreements obvious the Espeon zipped back to be at Isekai's side, before letting out a combative growl. "Oh...trying to look at the glass half empty, but it keeps getting knocked over, eh?" He nervously laughed to himself. "Seriously, the pros far exceed the cons. I know you. Won't take long with your Partner before you inwardly complain that you waited so long to get started." Espeon nodded it's approval of the statement given. However Taupe just sighed, again falling onto her bed to look up at her ceiling. "So uh, guess I'll let you seethe for now though, rough day for sure, but if you do need anything." With a couple knocks on her doorframe Isekai smiled, gesturing for his Pokemon to follow.

'Eevee' Taupe's doll chimed as she picked it up, feeling the tears again, she hugged the stuffed animal curling up into a ball. Trapped. Eventually the girl found sleep, tomorrow was a big day whether she liked it or not.

Abruptly woken by a violent tug, Taupe opened her mouth to scream, but only managed panicked muffles. Someone held their hand over her mouth while hoisting her upper body out of her bed. She felt her legs being bound by a separate attacker, just before she started to lose consciousness. Her flailing arms slowed and soon hung limply, as she was stuffed into a bag, soon being hauled out towards the roof.

Unknown hours passed as the sound of spinning helicopter blades slowly pulled the girl back to reality. Groggy and disoriented Taupe lifted herself to be sitting. She held her head a moment, then whipped her head from side to side to survey the immediate area. The desert? Terrified, Taupe panned to look over her right shoulder. There, stood Professor Tamarack, with the same evil look when she left Taupe's room. "M-mom?!" The girl crawled towards the helicopter. "Wh-what's goi-"

"Time for you to see the world from beyond my pedestal." The woman sneered tossing a small tan bag to land in front of the girl who was attempting to stand on her wobbly knees. "I expect to see my daughter back home, as she should be." With that line, Professor Tamarack turned to the helicopter.

Quickly, or at least tempting it, Taupe fumbled through the bag. Her eyes widened. "Wha-you- you can't... you can't just do this!" She barked throwing the bag to the hot sand below, a few fragments of a disassembled Pokeball spill out. "But I- I've decided to take the test..."

"The Exam, dear." The woman laughed to herself stepping into the back of the aerial vehicle. "I'm sure you have. Five years you had the opportunity to accept who your supposed to be, yet only now?" She continues to giggle deviously as the helicopter took off.

Taupe curled up in attempts to hide from the gusts of sand, until her mother was fully gone. With a snotty nose the girl mumbled, "but I've decided... I did... I've decided to take the test..." She cautiously lifts her head while reclaiming the bag salvaging the pieces that escaped.

Taking out the two primary halves Taupe pressed them together, sniffling when they didn't stick. Placing the red top next to her she dug for a silver ring, one that just barely fit the circumference of the mouth of the white bottom. Setting a similar ring yet with an extra slot in the top. With a click the orb held, but only just. Pulling it immediately back apart Taupe sifted for the clip to fit on the back of the inside. The process was tedious with her shaking hands and constantly tearing, but she eventually managed. With the two halves now snug unless pried the girl set the open ball down between her knees. Staring down with her good eye she began to line the empty orb with what appeared to be tiny mirrors.

Time passes as the sun began to peek from the ocean of sand. Taupe held the reconstructed capture device, her left thumb resting over the button. Closing her eyes Taupe took a deep nervous breath. Pressing down, a strange electronic sound came from the ball as it stuttered to be less than half the size. Eyes wide with shock the girl almost choked laughing before pressing the button again, causing the opposite to happen. "Haha, I did it! It'll work!" She cheered to herself. It was a short lived celebration when Taupe looked around seeing the vast Orre desert.

Also inside the bag was an outfit that Taupe instantly recognized, the silver garb of an Orre Elite Trainer. Wrapped up in smokey harem pants was also a few sandwiches cut in the shape of hearts. Tightening her grip on the fabric in her hand Taupe glared. "Y- you stupid..." The only other contents were a paper Town Map and a couple Bottles of Water. With items returned, and bag over shoulder, Taupe started the direction her mother had taken.

While the sun got higher in the sky, the desert heat intensified. Taupe wobbled using her new pants to hood herself, the mountains closer now. "Cacnea!" She shouted. "Cack-Cacnea!" Pretending to be a Pokemon, in attempts to call one out. "CACTURNE!" She cried. Knowing it was basically useless, given the entire region's severe scarcity of Wild Pokemon. "Ruff- Ruffle- et. Rufflet!" Taupe carried on regardless.

Eventually Taupe saved her energy, slowing her pitiful pleas to a very off tempo hum. There was shade now at the very least as the girl came to the craggy pass of the mountains. There was still a long way to go, just to even start seeing greenery, again. Finding a seat on a near by stone Taupe rummaged the Town Map from her Bag. Opening it she saw a small red circle indicated by an arrow with the phrase "you are here." Drawing a straight line with her finger from the mark over to the starting of the mountain range. Taupe didn't see any paths or roads she could take. Going around looked like her best option, still time wasn't going to be on her side. However cutting through might be impossible, and she'd risk wandering into a volcanic area before any oasis. After a hesitant lunch and a very small amount of water, Taupe was back on her way.

It had already been most of the day, and Taupe had not seen any other sort of life. Nobody, no Pokemon, not even a desert plant. She played with her Pokeball as the sun began to sink. Making her way around yet another rocky impass she stopped when she came to a structure. The remnants of one of the region's most infamous time. The Cipher Key Lair.

Taupe timidly approached the shattered pyramid like building. Reading only a small section of it before, she knew only that this was where Cipher had been primarily manufacturing Shadow Pokemon. An ominous place for sure, no wonder it was left abandoned. Inside, Taupe creeped slowly about the place. A strange sense of familiarity, much like the Pokemon HQ, albeit far less hygienic.

Almost settling on a spot for the rest of the night, a sudden crash, brought Taupe right back to her feet. The sound was from above and a little ways off, but still. The girl shuffled back to be in the corner of the room pulling out her Pokeball bringing it to size. Not long after a swift skittering clattered along the halls upstairs, seemingly closing in on Taupe's position. Terrified she lowered herself, holding her breath, but keeping eye out where she last heard the sounds.

Unbeknownst to Taupe, given the lack of a ceiling, a shadow made its way silently down the wall behind her. A split second later the girl felt a tug on her Bag, and with it, the weight was gone. Directly in front of her the figure darted, clumsily hauling her Bag along with it. "H-hey wait!" She cried instinctively tossing the ball she still held. Was it luck? A quick *thud* the ball bounced off the back of the critter's head falling to the floor.

A red light blinked on the center button, signaling an error. "Snea?" The Pokemon turned to inspect the orb, before turning her attention to the intruder. Lifting a free claw under her chin the Sneasel giggled. With a swift kick to the ball Sneasel continued to drag the girl's belongings away, into the hallway.

Watching her Pokeball uselessly drop, Taupe began to question what went wrong. When a sharp metallic pain struck her own forehead. The Pokemon threw her ball back before making it's get away. Reclaiming the two-tone ball she pressed the button, and as it should (mostly) stuttered to its smaller form. Of course now was not the time. Quickly, yet carefully Taupe gave chase.

Not so much the weight, but the fact Taupe's Bag would snag pretty much any and everything in the area, slowed Sneasel down enough to see the intruder come into the hall. "Sneasel! Snea, Snea!" She barked defensively tugging the strap.

"Wait...please..." Taupe spoke softly kneeling down a distance from the Pokemon, just close enough to make out it's petite form. "Your probably just hungry?" She questioned shimmying a pace closer noticing the Sneasel relax slightly. "Or lonely? Like me." She added sadly. "It's okay. There are some sandwiches in there if you'd like." Taupe offered, maybe to carelessly. With a hiss Sneasel leapt back noticing the Pokeball still in the girl's possession. "Oh? That's right." She cut in rolling the ball down the hall behind her. "It's broken anyway."

Taupe soon found herself rambling of her most recent days, more to herself than the Sneasel that had already began to sift through the Bag in search of the offered meal. Hearing the events out loud slowly started to bring the all too familiar tears. Her voice beginning to tremble Taupe cut herself off when she realized the Pokemon moved to be right in front of her again. This time a heart shaped sandwich in her class, held up in a gifting gesture. However as Taupe smiled reaching her hand timidly up to receive the food. Sneasel greedily stuffed her own face with Taupe's remaining rations. Yet the girl couldn't find herself to be angry, rather she giggled a little as the Pokemon stares back at her.

Allowing the moment to linger Taupe pressed her hand out further until her arm was at full extension in attempts to perhaps pet the Pokemon, yet the Sneasel remained out of reach. Frowning slightly yet still holding her arm and stare she silently gasped once the touch of fur ran across her palm. "So... soft." The girl murmurs, also noting the chilling temperature of the Pokemon. Gradually the Sneasel moved in closer until receiving a full embrace from Taupe. Sneasel scoffed but nuzzled under Taupe's chin regardless. Taupe's voice eventually faded mid conversation as the long day came to the end, and soon she was fully asleep.

The next day majority of the morning already slept away, Taupe came to. Painfully picking herself up from the floor she noticed her bag was used as a pillow for herself. Urgently she emptied the contents consuming what was left in one of her Bottles of Water. Looking around the halls she didn't see the Pokemon from last night. "Thank you." She spoke anyway. Begrudgingly she mugged the silver outfit, but did end up putting it on, even if it ended up being more of a chore than it should have.

Once Taupe got used to the clingy mesh on her skin, the attire was remarkably comfortable. Not entirely surprising considering the quality, and how few of them were actually distributed. The long sleeves of the white pinstripe sweater, under a silver tank top, hang over the girl's knuckles. Incredibly light and breathable yet thick and sturdy. Even the semitransparent harem pants held a similar feel though looking easily torn. "Spared no expense. I suppose I should be grateful." With her tan Bag back over her shoulder Taupe started to head towards the exit.

Directly outside Taupe found her Pokeball propped up in the middle of the walkway leading to the flight of stairs heading down the hill. Picking it up Taupe glanced the area still not catching sight of anything. It wasn't until she was cautiously using the steps that she saw her. The Sneasel waited with crossed arms and a tapping foot at the bottom. Laughing Taupe waves excitedly, nearly stumbling in the process. Recollecting herself the girl cheerfully made her way to be standing over the Pokemon. "Good morning Sniece!" Taupe greeted with a new Nickname. "Long shot, but don't suppose you'd know anywhere to head from here?"

Sniece looked around, making a strange whining, before looking back to Taupe inspecting her new outfit with her long claws. Taupe tried to take a Trainer's pose. "You like it? I don't feel worthy of it." She explained tugging at the slightly too long of sleeves. "It's supposed to be reserved for Orre Elite, you know?" She questioned pulling away slightly as Sniece began to snag the fabric of Taupe's smokey pants. "But anyways we really should get a move on." Taupe announced while taking out the map lowering down to be level with the Pokemon.

Rolling her eyes, Sniece slashed at the Town Map, tearing it to shreds in mere moments. "No! Why would you do that?!" Taupe shouted picking at the pieces. Sniece pointed to the old lab behind them, then to the torn remnants of the Town Map. With the same whine as before she looked around, again. Sarcastically shrugging her shoulders Sniece kicked dust up over the map, stopping Taupe's fruitless attempts to reclaim it. With a confident "Sneasel!" The dark Pokemon moved out away from the mountains and into the desert. Taupe knelt dumbfounded a second before making haste after.

Hours later and the mountain range was again on the horizon, the sun above in the perpetually cloudless sky. "Sniece. I would appreciate it if you'd stay on my right side, please. I don't like losing track of you." Taupe mumbled. "In a barren wasteland..." She sighed. The animal swiftly darted across Taupe's right side looping around to be on her left flank. "Ugh... I see." She swiveled slightly to look under her left arm pit down to the giggling Pokemon. "Your obnoxious." It pained the girl to say, but so far it's been accurate. Mocking the girl Sniece did an equivalent to "blah blah." Taupe still smiled a little before putting her sight back out front. "At least answer that your not just randomly dragging us into the desert."

Sneasel ran around Taupe a couple more times before waving it's claws through the air. A freezing breeze followed washing over the girl's entirety. As goosebumps covered her body Taupe spun to face the source with a startled but exhilarated expression. "Hey! Icy Wind?" Taupe guessed. Sniece laughed with her claw resting under her chin. Repeating the move a couple times, before taking a spot running forward on Taupe's left side. "Thanks I guess. I trust you!" She called in pursuit.

*To be edited*

Last edited:
    Back