• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Editing Patched ROM

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Hi, I'm very new to ROM patching, and I'm running into a bit of trouble.

tl;dr I want to obtain a Bagon at the start of the patched ROM hack (either as starter or catching) that I just started, but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

I just patched a clean FireRed ROM with the patch for a hacked game called Nameless FireRed Project. The ROM runs perfectly, but I wanted to play through starting out with a Bagon instead of a Gen 6 starter, which is what the hack game begins with (it seems to me that Dex IDs for Gen 6 starters replaced Gen 1 starters). I attempted to look up some cheatcodes to modify wild encounters to be Bagon at first route, but I found that all the master codes were incompatible with my game. Would that be due to my base ROM or because it has been modified with a .ups patch??

Because I was unable to use cheats to just catch Bagon, I attempted to use Universal Pokemon Randomizer and Advance Starter to edit the ROM hack to have a starter option be Bagon, but I was unable to load up the patched ROM file as it was found to be incompatible. I read on another thread that editing script may be an option, but I have no experience doing that. I downloaded XSE and attempted to load up the same ROM and that got me nowhere as well.

Is there a way for me to edit my patched ROM to obtain Bagon somehow? I imagine there might be something simple to accomplish this which I am too incompetent with ROM hacking to figure out. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 6, 2022
My guess is that the patch makes the ROM file incompatible with most of the simple tools. Have you tried opening it in advancemap 1.92 yet? That would be a simple way to insert Bagon into an early route. If that fails, then script editing would be your only option.

When you say that opening XSE got you nowhere, is it because XSE couldn't open the file or because you didn't understand how to use it?

Back