• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ROM Hack] My Ultimate Time Warp Challenge

AussieJimmy

Jimmy
Years
  • So I have decided to take it upon myself to begin a very long and arduous task of an Ultimate Time Warp Challenge.

For those who are unfamiliar with the challenge, here's the link.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=407282

To quickly outline the mammoth task ahead of myself, the Time Warp Challenge consists of 19 different eras. And there are 8 regions. So after some simple arithmetic, I will be required to complete a total of 152 playthroughs across all regions.

My plan of attack is to complete the same era in each region before moving onto the next region. This is to reduce my chances of burnout from playing the same region 19 consecutive times. Instead I play the same region every 9th playthrough.

I will be playing them in their original order: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, Galar. Rinse and repeat.

I will begin with Jurassic Jam in Kanto on Fire Red.

I will continue to update a brief summary in this comment of when I complete a playthrough. If you are interested enough in a more detailed breakdown of each playthrough, they will be in the comments below.

AussieJimmy

Jimmy
    Years
  • Jurassic Jam - Kanto

Pallet Town to Pewter City
    Lvl 21
    005.png

Lvl 18
    015.png

A fairly uneventful period of time here. I just grinded out levels. I started off with Charmander and evolved him to Charmeleon for Metal Claw to help with Brock. I also caught a Weedle in the Viridian Forest, which I quickly evolved into a Beedrill.
    I defeated Brock quite easily with Metal Claw. I was quite happy to receive running shoes of the professor's aid. This will help speed up the process entirely.

Pewter City to Cerulean City
    Lvl 26
    005.png

Lvl 25
    015.png

Lvl 25
    130.png

Lvl 25
    024.png

On my way to Mt Moon, I bought the Magikarp off the fat dude in the pokecentre at the entrance to Mt Moon. I absolutely enjoyed grinding that red useless bastard to lvl 15 when he finally learned tackle and could fend for himself.
    I picked the dome fossil in Mt Moon, which I will revive as soon as I learn Surf. After getting through Mt Moon, I caught an Ekans off the outskirts of Cerulean City. Which I quickly evolved into Arbok. By the time I had visited Bill and whooped Gary's smug arse with my Gyarados, I had all leveled up all my pokemon to lvl 25. I used Gyarados again to help level him up since he is useless against Lt Surge. Misty was beaten in under a minute with Gyarados' tackle.

Cerulean City to Vermillion City
    Lvl 31
    005.png

Lvl 30
    015.png

Lvl 31
    130.png

Lvl 31
    024.png

This was again fairly uneventful. Powered through the SS. Anne. Again, I beat Gary without breaking a sweat. Just grinded my pokemon up to lvl 30. Lt Surge was easy. And I was just happy I opened up the electric door with his switches on the first try. I usually have terrible luck with the RNG.
    Vermillion City to Celadon City
    Lvl 36
    006.png

Lvl 35
    015.png

Lvl 36
    130.png

Lvl 35
    024.png

Lvl 35
    148.png

So I didn't bother getting flash. I have played enough of Fire Red since I was a kid, I could roughly remember the layout of rock tunnel. Plus they give you a little bit of light, unlike back in the old days when the screen was entirely black except for your character. Got through Rock Tunnel easily, then I went straight to Celadon City to get myself a Dratini. I bought as close as I could to 40% of the cost of a Dratini (2,900 for Dratini so 40% turned out to be 1,100 coins) and proceeded to indulge my inner gambling addict (I'm meant to be 11 in the game so this is stupid). This was probably one of the most boring and long tasks for the entire game. I put on Netflix whilst I did this. After hours, I finally got enough to buy the little blue worm and further support pokemon trafficking. Then I grinded Dratini to lvl 35, evolved into Dragonair and then went into the Basement of the Game Corner to clean out Team Rocket and get the Silph Scope.

Celadon City to Fuschia City
    Lvl 41
    006.png

Lvl 41
    015.png

Lvl 40
    130.png

Lvl 40
    024.png

Lvl 40
    148.png

Not a whole lot happened here. I made short work of the bike gang on the bike path. Went on got surf and the Warden's gold teeth. Didn't bother catching anything. I didn't need anything, and I wasn't allowed to use Scizor because Steel types are banned in Jurassic Jam, so there wasn't any point in catching a Scyther. After that I went south of Fuchsia City and bullied some swimmers and then went into to slap Kpga around the ears. He was Easy. I just spammed Flamethrower and he was toast.

Fuschia City to Saffron City (via Pallet Town and Cinnabar Island)
    Lvl 45
    006.png

Lvl 45
    015.png

Lvl 45
    130.png

Lvl 45
    024.png

Lvl 45
    148.png

Lvl 45
    141.png

Lvl 45
    055.png

As soon as I beat Koga, I flew back home to Pallet town and then used surf to head south to Cinnabar Island to revive my Helix Fossil since the Jurassic Jam requires one fossil pokemon when beating the Elite Four. And Kabuto was only lvl 5 after awakening from his power nap. Que the montage music as I have a helluva lot of grinding to do to get him on par with my team. I just switched him out from 1st position repeatedly in the Abandoned Mansion. Then once he was about lvl 28, we flew to Cerulean City where I went to Bill's house and surfed on the water to repeatedly fight Psyducks. This was the only body of water I could think of that wouldn't have pokemon that would resist Kabuto's absorb attack, since That was all he really had. Also, whilt I was grinding, I found a little surprise…
    Shiny-Psyduck.jpg
    A shiny psyduck. So of course I had to capture him, and level him up so I could use him in my team. I was just thankful I could use it since I can only use fossils, grass, fire, water and reptile pokemon. In the process of capturing the shiny pokemon, I used absorb and almost had a heart attack when it said a critical hit. Nearly got a OHKO.
    Critical-hit.jpg
    This is the third Shiny I have ever found in the wild in my 20 years of playing the games. If anyone knows how to get it to the main games, let me know.
    Once Kabuto had evolved into Kabutops and was lvl 40, my shiny Psyduck and I went to Lavender Town to spam his confusion on some Ghastly. And before you know it he had evolved into a slight different coloured blue Golduck, and we were ready to take on Sabrina. I went to face her then realised I was meant to beat Team Rocket. So I made a quick U-Turn and went to Silph Co. Golduck and his Confusion made the Grunts a joke. Steam rolled my way to Giovani and got the Masterball that I wouldn't be using.
    Sabrina and her goons were pretty easy againt Beedrill and his Twin Needles.

Saffron City to Cinnabar Island
    Lvl 50
    006.png

Lvl 50
    015.png

Lvl 50
    130.png

Lvl 50
    024.png

Lvl 50
    148.png

Lvl 50
    141.png

Lvl 50
    055.png

This was uneventful. Just grinding in the Mansion and the Seafoam Caves to get everything to Lvl 50. Gyarados' Surf flooded the Cinnabar Island Gym.

Cinnabar Island to Viridian City
    Lvl 55
    006.png

Lvl 55
    015.png

Lvl 55
    130.png

Lvl 55
    024.png

Lvl 55
    149.png

Lvl 55
    141.png

Lvl 55
    055.png

Bill said hi upon leaving Blaine. And I went to the Sevii Islands. This made grinding a lot quicker. Did the pathetic story there, went and said hello to Moltres whilst I was there and fainted it for 1500 xp. Levelled everything up to Lvl 55, Dragonair Evolved into Dragonite, and we went back to Viridian City. Between Golduck and Gyarados, This was no challenge. I got Earthquake and gave it to Gyarados.
    Viridian City to Indigo Plateau (via Victory Road)
    Went back to the Sevii Islands to grind everything to lvl 60. (If you haven't noticed whenever I play a pokemon game, my OCD, forces me to level up all my pokemon 5 levels before every gym, starting at 20 before I face the first gym). I beat Gary for the second last time and began the journey up Victory Road.
    Indigo Plateau
    So, I bought some Hyper Potions and some Full Restores. Then I decided to leave Beedrill behind. He seemed like my biggest liability
    Lvl 60
    006.png

Lvl 55
    015.png

Lvl 60
    130.png

Lvl 60
    024.png

Lvl 60
    149.png

Lvl 60
    141.png

Lvl 60
    055.png

Lorelei
    She was the biggest pain for my team since I had no typing advantage, and didn't have any electrical attacks since most of her water pokemon are ice/water types, with Jynx being the only monotype, making my Charizard useless. In hindsight, I should have used a Fighting TM. Oh well. We got past her soon enough. I used Arbok's Stockpile and Spit Up to deal with Dewgong and Cloyster, then used Kabutops' Giga Drain to beat Slowbro, then Gyrados for Lapras and Charizard for Jynx.
    Bruno
    My Shiny Golduck turned Bruno's rock and fighting types into pebbles with its pychic and water attacks.
    Agatha
    Again, Goldduck made short work og the poison and poison/ghost type pokemon. Agatha probably would have had a heart attack I beat her that quickly.
    Lance
    He was a pushover. I just used Dragonite the entire time and spammed his Dragon Claw and then as insult to injury I used Golduck's Blizzard to whoop Aerodactyl (rock/flying). He got trapped in Ice instead of amber this time. Probably triggered his PTSD.
    Gary
    Gary was super stupid at the start of this fight. I started off with Golduck and he started of with Pidgeot. The oversized pigeon copped an Ice Beam to the beak. Then he sent out his Exeggutor, it received a similar reception. Then the fool sent out Rydon. So, I just Water Pulsed it and sent it to Davy Jones' locker. Then Alakazam came out. I used Gyarados and his
    Dragon Dance and Bite to send Alakazam on his way. Then Arcanine came out and was drowned by his surf, and then Blastoise was beaten with Kabutops and his Giga Drain and Slash.
    Kanto-Hall-of-Fame-Jurassic-Jam.jpg

Roll Credits
    MVP: Probably Golduck made everything really hand. Psychic were OP in Gen 1 and weren't really nerfed a whole lot in the remake. Dragonite was a close second. Then Probably Charizard

Last edited:
    Back