• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for a collaborator on a 3D fan game

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2022
    I would post in the Recruitment section, but my project isn't far enough along to show details there.

I am working on a 3D game engine that I will use to write a Pokemon fan game. The engine isn't a traditional Pokemon engine, like the one Pokemon Unity project. It's just a voxel engine. That's because I don't plan to write a traditional fan game, but one with quite different gameplay than the mainline Pokemon games. Pokemon Legends: Arceus is the closest to what I have in mind, but it's still pretty far off:
    - I want to have a much larger variety of things to do in game
    - I want a full battle engine, based on Pokemon Showdown's engine (my engine is in JavaScript, so I can import it directly!)
    - I do not care much about graphics, so I expect to have low-res textures and to use 2.5D "Doom sprites" for Pokemon, NPCs, and items
    - Unlike other fan game engines, I want my game to run at 60 FPS, on low-spec computers (e.g. integrated graphics), and *in a web browser*

(There is a fan game that's much closer to what I want to make, too - Pokemon Wilds. The thread here was removed, though.)

I can handle the technical side of things here. What I'm looking for is someone who wants to take on the design side. I have a rough idea of how a lot of gameplay will work, but there are many problems to flesh out. For example, the engine is a voxel engine ala Minecraft, but unlike Minecraft, I want the player to have very limited capabilities. After all, they should rely on their Pokemon to get things done! That introduces many game design challenges, like how to handle a character in a voxel game that may not even be able to jump one block high.

To show that this project isn't complete vaporware, well, you can try the engine yourself!
    - For low-spec computers: https://www.skishore.me/voxels/
    - For better computers: https://www.skishore.me/voxels?size=fullscreen&scale=1

I should also mention that ~10 years ago I wrote a hack of Pokemon Silver that had similar gameplay goals (but no ability to hit them). Here's the description.

Here's what I could really use in a collaborator:
    - Interest in game design problems
    - Similar aesthetic and gameplay goals to me (fast gameplay, no grinding, graphics are secondary)
    - Experience with mapping - although these maps will contain procedural elements, they also need a human eye to be good

Last edited:
    Back