• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Ok, so I tried inserting custom tiles again.. And the same thing happened, where the tiles get squeezed vertically, and it wouldn't let me select the correct tiles.
So I did what you guys told me, I clicked "Load New Blocks"

And, well, I'd post a picture but PC won't let me. :U
Basically, everything just messes up. Lot's of other tiles become the ones I just inserted, the actual map is full of neon pink and other random colors. The whole tileset is just messed up.

Is there any way for A-Map to let me select the correct tiles without messing up the entire map?
Clicking "Load New Blocks" is the right option.
Well, everything 'messing up' is actually a symptom of correct tile insertion (unless of course, the messed up tiles don't show any resemblance to tiles you just inserted).
The default tiles are going to mess up, since you just inserted new tiles ontop of them in the corresponding tileset. The neon pink and other random colors are there because they're either not set in the correct palette, or you haven't assigned correct palettes to them. This can be fixed with a little bit of block editing.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
@MysticFlames There is no .exe in this or in any other version of the download. If you mean to extract the .exe file from the .jar container, I'll try that, but last time I didn't have much luck with that...

EDIT: still no .exe anywhere...

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
Ok, so I tried making a desert-ish route in Fire Red, but I ran into a few problems.

1-Instead of making grass, I wanted to make the floor tile I was using for the desert floor allow you to run into Pokemon, but I just can't get it to work. The tile I used is a copy of a road tile that I copy and pasted into one of the empty spaces in the tileset, since I didn't want other maps that used that tile to have wild Pokemon there.

2-There's a sandstorm in the map, and rain in an adjacent map. If you go from the map with the sandstorm to the map with the rain, the rain's pallete get's screwed up and it becomes sand-colored.

I attached pics showing what I did with the tiles.

Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2011
OK, so I want to stick a sprite of Mew next to Mewtwo as an event so it'd be like you walk up to the pokemon and then you battle it (like any legendary/unique pokemon). How would I go about doing this? I have a sprite of Mew.

Years
OK, so I want to stick a sprite of Mew next to Mewtwo as an event so it'd be like you walk up to the pokemon and then you battle it (like any legendary/unique pokemon). How would I go about doing this? I have a sprite of Mew.

You add a person to the map, give it the Mew sprite, find free space, find an empty flag, set the people ID to the empty flag and assign it a script like this:

lockall
cry 0x97
waitcry
wildbattle 0x97 0xLEVEL 0xITEM 0x0 0x0 0x0
setflag 0xEMPTYFLAG
releaseall
end

There probably are some errors in the script since I don't know the commands by heart, but you should get an idea :)
And replace 'LEVEL', 'ITEM' and 'EMPTYFLAG' ;)

Ok, so I tried making a desert-ish route in Fire Red, but I ran into a few problems.

1-Instead of making grass, I wanted to make the floor tile I was using for the desert floor allow you to run into Pokemon, but I just can't get it to work. The tile I used is a copy of a road tile that I copy and pasted into one of the empty spaces in the tileset, since I didn't want other maps that used that tile to have wild Pokemon there.

2-There's a sandstorm in the map, and rain in an adjacent map. If you go from the map with the sandstorm to the map with the rain, the rain's pallete get's screwed up and it becomes sand-colored.

First off all, remove the background byte. It should be 00, not 01.
If you set the block behaviour to 02 (Grass Animation), you will see the bottom part of the grass upon walking on it.
As for the messed up rain pallete, I suggest putting a union gate between the maps.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
First off all, remove the background byte. It should be 00, not 01.
If you set the block behaviour to 02 (Grass Animation), you will see the bottom part of the grass upon walking on it.
As for the messed up rain pallete, I suggest putting a union gate between the maps.
I already tried it with the background byte set to 00, and with the behavior set to 08, which is what the floors of caves and stuff have, but it didn't work.

Years
I already tried it with the background byte set to 00, and with the behavior set to 08, which is what the floors of caves and stuff have, but it didn't work.

If the behavior byte is set to 8, wild Pokémon will appear on it only if the map's set to Underground, which disables the ability to fly and allows you to use an Escape Rope...

Washibon

---
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2011

Clicking "Load New Blocks" is the right option.
Well, everything 'messing up' is actually a symptom of correct tile insertion (unless of course, the messed up tiles don't show any resemblance to tiles you just inserted).
The default tiles are going to mess up, since you just inserted new tiles ontop of them in the corresponding tileset. The neon pink and other random colors are there because they're either not set in the correct palette, or you haven't assigned correct palettes to them. This can be fixed with a little bit of block editing.

But not only one block got edited. Lot's of other blocks got replaced by the one I just inserted. Why did this happen? ;3;

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
I assume that it is called unknown for a reason :/

There is no way to quickly find out any of the Hidden IDs used other than writting them all down for yourself. If you wanted to find the last Hidden ID in an untouched ROM go to the last places where the player could encounter a hidden item (e.g. Sevii Island Seven). If you're creating new hidden items, just write the IDs on a notepad or something as you use them.

I don't know what that reason is, unless you're suggesting that nobody knows what it's for, then I understand.

Thanks for the help on the hidden ID. So, if I were to use a hidden ID for a new hidden item, would that mean I make up a hidden ID that comes after the last ID, or do I have to re-use currently used IDs?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023

Make the behavior bytes [21][02] and make the background byte [00][01]
That makes it so that when you walk in the sand it leaves behind footprints, and you can encounter Pokemon.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
But not only one block got edited. Lot's of other blocks got replaced by the one I just inserted. Why did this happen? ;3;
Which default tiles did you replace?
Because accordingly, it can affect the whole tileset. For example, if you replace the grass(not the wild grass) with something else, it will alter more than one block, since those particular tiles are used in quite a lot as a background in buildings and stuff if you take a look at the block editor. If you've mistakenly replaced some of the more important tiles, then yeah, it will alter the tileset as a whole.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@sab: Sorry, I pointed you in the wrong direction. DX Java doesn't use an exe file, it uses the jar file extension. This only runs in if you have the Java run time installed. If you don't have it, then just do a Google search for it. It should automatically associate the file with Java and then you should be good to go.

@Binary: I ended up following that tutorial but it didn't quite work out. I downloaded APE in attempt to change the palette, but I couldn't change it with the provided offset and was unable to find it on my own. =/

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
@sab:[\b] Sorry, I pointed you in the wrong direction. DX Java doesn't use an exe file, it uses the jar file extension. This only runs in if you have the Java run time installed. If you don't have it, then just do a Google search for it. It should automatically associate the file with Java and then you should be good to go.

@Binary:[\b] I ended up following that tutorial but it didn't quite work out. I downloaded APE in attempt to change the palette, but I couldn't change it with the provided offset and was unable to find it on my own. =/

I have jre and it is associated with .jar extension files, but from what I'm reading elsewhere (after extensive googling) I have to make a path file, so I'll post again if i have anymore problems after that.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2011
Hey guys,
A quick question about tile inserting...

Let's say I wanted to add an entire D/P/P or HG/SS to a Fire Red ROM Hack:

First off, is it possible? I see that in Pokemon Lilac it's very well done, with a mix of Fire Red tiles and 4th gen tiles I think. Unless it isn't a 3rd gen engine, which I'm sure it is.

I can't find a proper tutorial anywhere for inserting entire tilesets, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Hey guys,
A quick question about tile inserting...

Let's say I wanted to add an entire D/P/P or HG/SS to a Fire Red ROM Hack:

First off, is it possible? I see that in Pokemon Lilac it's very well done, with a mix of Fire Red tiles and 4th gen tiles I think. Unless it isn't a 3rd gen engine, which I'm sure it is.

I can't find a proper tutorial anywhere for inserting entire tilesets, can anyone point me in the right direction?

You insert individual tiles like you would Tile Inserting, just en masse (either all at once or in stages). Basically, follow tile inserting tutorials.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2011
You insert individual tiles like you would Tile Inserting, just en masse (either all at once or in stages). Basically, follow tile inserting tutorials.

But doesn't that mean I would have to re-colour the tileset to match the palette? I think I've seen hacks where the colours aren't changed.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Ok, so I tried inserting custom tiles again.. And the same thing happened, where the tiles get squeezed vertically, and it wouldn't let me select the correct tiles.
So I did what you guys told me, I clicked "Load New Blocks"

And, well, I'd post a picture but PC won't let me. :U
Basically, everything just messes up. Lot's of other tiles become the ones I just inserted, the actual map is full of neon pink and other random colors. The whole tileset is just messed up.

Is there any way for A-Map to let me select the correct tiles without messing up the entire map?

When that happens (the squishy thing), I just close and reopen AdvanceMap and it usually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back