• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] FireRed, behavior bytes, and battle backgrounds

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Alright, remember Icirrus City and Route 8 in Black and White? Where wild Pokemon could be encountered in the puddles rather than the grass? I'd like to do this in my hack, but I'm having an issue regarding the battle background.

When encountering wild Pokemon or trainers, it seems that in order to use the "pond" background, the block on which the player stands when the encounter starts must have a behavior byte of 10. This isn't ideal though. A behavior byte of 16 has a slightly different animation which adds water splashing around the player's feet (and is the default for puddle tiles) but the background is the standard green grass.

Is there a way to change battle background and behavior byte associations? This must be in the ROM somewhere but I do not know where to look. I can live with behavior byte 10 but it would be nice to know if it's possible to do what I would like.

Back