• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disney & Pokemon

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • How do you feel Disney is treating the Pokemon anime thus far? I honestly wish I could say something positive about this, but I cannot, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Guest123_x1

The way I see it is another ploy to make people sign up to a more expensive subscription to be able to watch it.
    BINGO!

I think TPCI shot themselves in the foot big time by licensing the broadcast rights of the Pokémon anime to Disney XD, which has even less of a subscriber reach than Cartoon Network does.

If broadcast TV wasn't so overly regulated to the point where it's now impossible to put child-oriented non-EI programming (especially cartoons) on over-the-air television anymore*, and TPCI really wanted to take advantage of Pokémon's 20th Anniversary (and the 20th anniversary of the anime that just passed at the beginning of this month), then I think they would have been better off making a deal with a syndication distributor to grant the rights to broadcast Pokémon to individual local stations (much like 4Kids' Summit Media Group did in 1998 with the early Indigo episodes), on a weekly basis (as I mentioned in another thread, this would be similar to how the first-run syndication from 1991-2001 of Baywatch was handled, as well as the first-run syndication of several cartoon series that were running in the 1980s and early 1990s.)

*I think the claims that broadcast networks don't air children's cartoons anymore due to "cable competition" are absolute BS. The real reason why non-EI children's programs have been discontinued from broadcast TV is because of the colossal failed federal government-initiated scam known as the war on childhood obesity-which has put ornery restrictions on commercials targeting children.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am fine with Disney. It knows how to treat its shows and fans.

CN is was just butchering the crap of of Pokemon and by how Pokemon Go sky rocketed the popularity of pokemon, I think CN is the cause for the fall of popularity in pokemon. They didn't advertise.... they had it is a terrible time slot... they couldn't even be bothered to play credits.

Besides, if it is anything like Disney's other shows, you will be able to watch it on Netflix in no time.
    Disney has a more reasonable time slot. Besides, Pokemon was already apart of Disney in most countries.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I am fine with Disney. It knows how to treat its shows and fans.

CN is was just butchering the crap of of Pokemon and by how Pokemon Go sky rocketed the popularity of pokemon, I think CN is the cause for the fall of popularity in pokemon. They didn't advertise.... they had it is a terrible time slot... they couldn't even be bothered to play credits.

Besides, if it is anything like Disney's other shows, you will be able to watch it on Netflix in no time.
    Disney has a more reasonable time slot. Besides, Pokemon was already apart of Disney in most countries.

I am actually undecided this when it comes Disney handling Pokemon if it will be good. Course I disagree on the 9 AM time slot being reasonable. It means that I will have to wait until the afternoon to use my Xbox on Saturdays. Back when Cartoon Network handled Pokemon, I thought the 7 AM time slot was more reasonable.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    So far Disney had the first two episodes of Sun and Moon air at 7 and 7:30pm eastern and premiered the latest movie at 5pm eastern as a lead-in and the regular time slot for the episodes when it returns next month is much more reasonable than what Cartoon Network did. I would've thought they'd air the reruns a little more just because there's so many, but Pokémon isn't really Disney's property so they probably don't feel the need to air it more than the once a day and the block from time-to-time. And as was the case with Cartoon Network, it wasn't their property so they didn't feel the need to advertise it after a while. How much exposure it gets will depend on the ratings. If the ratings are low in the decent time slot(s) they could easily throw it into early morning like CN or late night or not televise it at all.

Back