• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Rom size

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    So I finally managed to get my rom size expanded according to the tutorial I found on this forum.

Now I have a problem. Whenever I start my hacked rom, the rom just crashes the moment I speak to the mother at the beginning. Whatever I try.

Anything I did wrong? Or can someone point me to a step by step guide to changing the hex things in the hex editor? I am a newbie in this!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • So I finally managed to get my rom size expanded according to the tutorial I found on this forum.

Now I have a problem. Whenever I start my hacked rom, the rom just crashes the moment I speak to the mother at the beginning. Whatever I try.

Anything I did wrong? Or can someone point me to a step by step guide to changing the hex things in the hex editor? I am a newbie in this!

There are a few very easy ways of successfully expanding a ROM to 32MB.
    My personal favorite tool would be Gamer2020's Pokemon Game Editor(PGE).
    Download: https://github.com/Gamer2020/PokemonGameEditor/releases/download/3.8.1/PGE.zip
    Just open up your ROM with PGE and go to the "Patchers & Expanders" tab and press the "ROM Expander" button. Voila! C'est fini!
    You can also use XSE because it has this feature built in.

Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Thanks!

Does that work for Pokemon Crystal? Cause that is the rom I am trying to expand.

Sorry should've said that in the first post.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    *sigh*

This tutorial here?

Yeah thats the tutorial I followed, but thats where I encounter trouble. I manage to expand the rom size, I alter the game a little. But at that point when I start the game to try and see the changes, the game crashes when I talk to the mother npc.

Anyone encountered that problem before?

Back