• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The AURA Connection

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Credit for the first half of this fan-fiction goes to ShikiKyuu's Self-Discovery. With their permission, I had copied and pasted the first eight chapters of their fan-fiction and changed the Japanese names they had written and changed them to the English Dub's names (merely my preference).

You can find Self-Discovery by ShikiKyuu here http://archiveofourown.org/works/5650597/chapters/13014076

Since the formatting on the Forums is a bit off you can find THE AURA CONNECTION on AO3 here

http://archiveofourown.org/works/8040529

++

He didn't understand why he was searching so desperately for Paul. It was just something he had to do, something he couldn't explain that pushed his legs forward until he finally caught sight of purple hair, seconds before the strands disappeared as his target stepped down a flight of stairs.

Without hesitation, in fear of missing his rival, Ash continued running, his arms swinging faster to hopefully increase his speed. He reached the top of the steep staircase, reassuring himself that the other person was Shinji before moving down five steps and calling out.

"Paul!"

The other boy didn't ignore him, but actually turned around, giving his full attention instead of brushing Ash off like so many other times. The problem was, now that he was faced with Paul's expectant look, anything he wanted to say was quickly forgotten. In that moment of absolute silence, all he could hear was the sound of the wind and the unsteady beats inside his chest – a feeling he assumed was from his frantic sprinting – but just as he was about to speak, Shinji surprisingly went first.

"Infernape's gotten a lot stronger."

The compliment was out of nowhere, but not unwelcome. That one little sentence assured that his way of handling the training of his Pokémon wasn't wrong or foolish like Ash had been close to thinking after all his losses by Paul's harsh training strategy. Paul was strong, definitely, but Ash knew his rival could be stronger, if only he would treat his Pokémon with the love and care they deserve. But he and Paul were so different – polar opposites, his friends had said – and for Paul to adopt his affectionate attitude towards Pokémon would be nothing like the boy Ash had come to appreciate.

They had opposite personalities and different approaches to training, and their Pokémon had adapted to those differences (Chimchar being the notable exception in Paul's case). To Ash, Paul was a great person and a skilled and powerful trainer. His rival had faults, but who didn't?

No one was perfect, and Paul could admit that he had some imperfections too. He wasn't the brightest one in any group, and most of what he knows comes from five years' worth of travelling experience. Friends and many of his acquaintances have called him naïve, and Ash supposed they were right, considering he felt clueless more than half the time when accompanied by his more knowledgeable companions.

Remembering the beginning of his journey with Misty and Brock, back when he was struggling to achieve his Kanto badges, Ash had an embarrassing number of faults; but as he grew older and fought more battles and met new people and Pokémon, he eventually became someone he could be proud of.

Ash's self-reflection revitalized him, finally replying with a tone exhibiting his current state of happiness, however brief. "He really has!" He paused before continuing with a more somber voice level. "Are you leaving?"

Pikachu, who he had practically forgotten in his hurry to find his rival, let loose a sad, "Chu…"

"I lost, you know, so there's no reason for me to stay here. I'll go back to Snowpoint City, to request another battle with Brandon."
    Paul's response was not what he had hoped for.

His chest started to hurt and his throat seemed to close up when he realized Shinji was going away, and like so many others, Satoshi knew he'd never see him again. Right at this very moment he could nod and turn away, maybe suggest another battle for a day that would never come, then finish the competition and begin another journey after that.

But no, he didn't want that. Ash wanted Paul to stay, with him, to see his match against Tobias and the match that would follow if he beat the legendary Pokémon trainer. Then maybe they could travel together, along with Dawn and Brock, or just with Brock, or even just the two of them, getting stronger while forging a friendship Ash had always yearned for with the other trainer.

Ash felt the sting of upcoming tears and pushed them back as best he could, because he knew that nothing would stop Paul from defeating the Pyramid King.

So with a heavy heart, he wished him good luck and received a similar response from Paul who turned away, going down a few more steps.

This, he knew, was his only chance.

Summoning his confidence, he surrounded his mouth with his hands and yelled, "Paul, after you defeat Brandon, let's meet up again! I'll send my number and address to Reggie!"

Paul halted as his head jerked up. The warning toot from a boat's horn sounded just when the taller boy lifted up a hand, signaling goodbye. The burning in Ash's eyes faded once he heard a vocal reply.

"Until then… Ash."

He was out of sight by the time Ash processed a very distinct difference in their interaction besides the lack of insults on Paul's part.
    With a deafening whoop of delight and pure giddiness, Ash lifted Pikachu into his arms and ran up the stairs, jumping and swinging his best friend around once they were a safe distance from the steps. The electric mouse released a pleasant shock of electricity in response to his trainer's positive emotions as Ash cried out, "He said my name! Paul finally called me by name, Pikachu! How awesome is that!"

"Pi-Pika-Chu, Pikapi!"

Ash danced for as long as his legs allowed, ignoring those that openly stared at his excitement.

He'd be seeing Paul again. That was all that mattered.

++
    That very evening found Ash lying spread-eagle on the grass, looking up at the luminous stars spread throughout the black sky, unbothered by any remaining light from the Lily of the Valley Island. Several feet away, Pikachu was jumping across trees in the nearest forest, talking in his Pika language whenever a stray Pokémon passed by.

Brock and Dawn were asleep, as were the competitors that had decided to stay for the rest of the Conference. Ash, however, chose to lay in nature, because like in the Johto League, he was unable to sleep, but this time, he didn't have Gary beside him. Not even a day had passed, and already Ash was feeling the loss of Paul's presence. During his journey in Sinnoh, he always knew Paul would pop out anywhere at any time. Now the other boy was off to challenge Brandon again, and Ash had no idea when he'd return from that.

Ash didn't understand why Paul leave made him feel so… troubled, was the only word he could think of to describe his current feelings. Losing Misty and Brock after Kanto was sad, but bearable once he was no longer afraid of being alone, and May and Max's departure wasn't devastating either. He imagined Dawn leaving for her own solo journey, but she provoked the same emotions as the sister-brother duo, and Brock's permanent loss was saddening, but only because the aspiring breeder had been with him since the beginning.

He and Paul had only known each other this past year…

"Pikapi!"

Ash's eyes fluttered open, not realizing that he had closed them, and gasped as a dark shadow floated above him. He lifted himself by the elbows, and with the moon shining its light onto the large figure, could recognize a familiar fog-like flame and red spikes.

"You're Ash, right?"

The Darkrai moved away from him and towards Pikachu who settled on a tree branch, greeting the legendary Pokémon as if they were old friends. The pitch-black Pokémon returned the greeting in a breathy whisper.

Ash scrambled to his feet, coming face-to-face with the mysterious Tobias.

From Barry's description, he had been expecting some creepy kid only dressed in black with a hat to shadow his face. Instead he was seeing a man with long blue hair and a welcoming face, wearing anything but black.

Noticing a hand stretched out towards him, Ash emitted a quiet 'oh' and returned the polite gesture, his other hand brushing through his hair, hat abandoned somewhere on the ground. "That's me."

"I'm Tobias, you're opponent tomorrow morning." The man pulled away and sat down with one knee bent, then with a relaxed sigh, wrapped an arm around it while leaning forward, watching their Pokémon converse quietly.

Ash followed the other trainer down, crossing his legs and holding his head up with a hand, elbow resting on his thigh as he turned to gaze at his future challenger with forlorn eyes. "Not to be rude or anything, Tobias, but why are you here?"

A low chuckle, and then he said, "Darkrai sensed your emotions, which I assume aren't good ones. Care to open up to a stranger, Ash?"
    He didn't say a word, taking in the fresh, cool air of the evening wind, contemplating whether he wanted to accept Tobias's offer.

Eventually, Ash decided to do so. He wasn't comfortable talking to Brock or Dawn, though he was unsure of the reason. They were his friends, the former being one of his best friends, so shouldn't he tell them instead?

His mouth was already moving before he could answer himself. "I'm not sure what's wrong with me, to be honest."

"Just say anything that comes to mind. It doesn't have to make sense."

His baritone voice was soothing and encouraging, urging Ash to try exactly that.

"There's this person that I've only known for a year and they left this afternoon. I've had to say goodbye to a lot of special people and Pokémon, but I've never felt so unhappy as I do now. And we're not even friends since it seems every time we're near each other, we just keep fighting. But I think that can change, especially since we just settled our differences. He doesn't see me as worthless or weak anymore, and he even complimented me! And the best thing in the world happened today!" Here, Satoshi raised his arms to the sky.

"He called me by my actual name! It made me so happy. But now-" His voice broke.

Ash's arms dropped onto his lap. He bent his head and finally allowed a few tears to escape from his eyes. "But now he's gone, and even though I know we agreed on seeing each other again after he finishes battling Brandon, I can't help but to feel like I've permanently lost something important. And I don't think I can talk to my friends because they think there's nothing good about him, but I know he's a great person. He's not as bad as everyone thinks. They're all wrong about him, I know they are."

The rush of words faded, Ash breathless from speaking without a filter. Now that he was finished blurting out sentences, a sudden bout of embarrassment hit him, his face blushing bright red.

Tobias let out a surprisingly boisterous laugh, which only added more color to his cheeks.

"S'not funny," he mumbled.

When the man calmed his laughter, he apologized. "Forgive me, Ash. But I wasn't laughing at you. It's just… you're a bit clueless, aren't you?"

Ash whipped his head to pout at Tobias. "Everyone always says things like that, but maybe if they started speaking clearly, I wouldn't be so out of the loop all the time."

Tobias offered him a humored smile. "You'll understand with age, I'm sure. Besides, when it comes to the matters of one's own heart, everyone is a little bit clueless."

"So there's something wrong with my heart?" He tilted his head questioningly.
    "It's obvious," Tobias replied, "that you're in love."

Immediately, Ash was on his feet, gaping at the man with an awful feeling of panic as he tried processing such an answer. The soft mutters of their Pokémon trailed off, leaving a pink-faced, flustered mess to cry out into the silence around them.

"Bu-But that can't be right, Tobias! I've only known Paul for a year, a-and most of that time was spent arguing with him. I-I… I don't even know what being in love is like. How do you even know that's what I'm feeling?"

Tobias stood as well and placed a hand on his shoulder, still smiling but in a reassuring manner. "So we're talking about the boy you last fought."

Ash nodded, his hands rubbing his heated cheeks.

"Well…" Tobias stepped back, setting the knuckles of his fists between his sides and hips. "It's in your expressions. You tend to wear your feelings on your sleeve, Ash. Like when you said Paul called you by name, the darkness within your eyes receded and left them sparkling brighter than a gemstone." He paused. "That darkness Darkrai sensed is from Paul's leave, and due to your past disagreements, you fear he'll never contact you again, and though that can be bearable between friends, it is a devastating loss for the one who is in love."

Ash was entranced by his words, but it sounded personal. "It sounds like you know from experience."
    Tobias nodded with a sad smile. "You don't reach my age without a few broken hearts."

Broken heart, he recalled from more than a year and a half ago, when Grovyle evolved into Sceptile. The missing pieces fell into place as he understood why the forest Pokémon had been unable to perform any attacks for a few weeks. So Sceptile was in love with that Meganium and got a broken heart when he realized her and the Tropius were already together.

Ash laid a hand over his chest where he felt the same irregular heartbeat from before, when Paul looked up at him on those stairs. "…Love, huh?" His hand then curled into a fist. "Tobias, is it worth it? Loving someone, I mean."
    "That's for you to decide, Tobias. I will say this though."

The older trainer glanced towards their Pokémon, and Satoshi followed his kind gaze to see Pikachu playfully chasing Darkrai, his red cheeks emitting an electrical charge each time the legendary Pokémon dodged his dives from tree branches.

"It takes a lot of love to see what others cannot. Your friends may attempt to dissuade you from pursuing Paul, but if I'm right, and love is what you feel for him, and you truly believe he's a good person, then maybe loving him really is worth it."

Ash remembered Paul's half-smile when he complimented Infernape, and then the praise he offered to his Electivire after losing their match. Those were just a few glimpses into Paul's inner character, but it was enough to assure Ash that Paul was anything but cruel or unfeeling like many of his friends described him to be.

After a thoughtful hum, Ash smiled up at Tobias. "You've given me a lot to think about."

The man chuckled. "Just don't let it distract you. I expect a challenging match tomorrow."

"Don't worry." Ash pushed out a fist and grinned. "Anything less would be rude after all you've done for me."

Tobias returned the gesture, firmly connecting their fists before reaching up and ruffling Satoshi's hair. "No problem, kid."
    "Pikapi!"

Ash prepared for the incoming weight of Pikachu on his shoulder. The electric mouse nuzzled his cheek with a quiet coo and then waved to the Darkrai, who nodded its head once and joined its trainer.

As Tobias was about to turn away, Ash asked in pure curiosity, "Just one thing, Tobias. I was wondering. Doesn't it get boring only fighting with Darkrai and none of your other friends?"

"Not really." The man smiled, placing a hand on his Pokémon's shoulder. "Darkrai here was my first, before I even thought of becoming a Pokémon trainer. It was one of those instances where the Pokémon chooses the human, which I'm sure you've had at least one choose you as its trainer."

Ash smiled with fondness. Most of his Pokémon had joined him by choice, Charizard as a Charmander, and Squirtle, being the first two in mind. "More than once, actually."

"We've fought the longest," Tobias continued after grinning at his response, "and have only been defeated twice. Losing battles teaches in ways victory never does, and that is why I choose to always fight with Darkrai. We are searching for those that can better us, and I had high expectations for this Conference, but not one opponent has yet to do so."

The disappointment he heard in his voice motivated Ash for tomorrow's battle, and before the man was out of sight, Ash promised with a bellow, "I'll be the third! Just you wait, Tobias!"

He and Pikachu watched as the duo waved without turning around.

Grinning widely, Ash threw a fist towards the sky. "Pikachu, let's do our best tomorrow!"

"Pi-ka! Chu!"
    ++
    Somewhere in a Pokémon center was Paul, watching Ash's match against a man named Tobias.

When Pikachu was declared incapacitated, along with the Latios, he wanted to be disappointed for him, but as always, Ash was smiling and cuddling the yellow creature to his chest, congratulating it for a job well done.

That loser, he thought warmly.

He would admit, only to himself, that Ash had become someone important, second only to his older brother, though if the other boy had not been so persistent, maybe he still would have gone on to ignore him and his compassionate approach to training Pokémon. But seeing the strength and fiery determination of his once little and inept Chimchar, Paul had to concede that Ash was not entirely wrong about being more encouraging than critical.

And as much as he tried to deny, commending Electivire for its hard work yesterday had felt… satisfying.

The television zoomed for a close-up of the winner and then zoomed out when Ash began walking towards him. They joined hands in a handshake, but instead of separating, the two trainers came closer into a friendly hug.

He ignored the spark of jealousy that ignited as Ash stepped back and took Tobias's wrist, lifting it in the air which received a thunderous applause from the audience, the announcer commenting on their affable interaction.

Paul turned his back on the video feed and headed out of the center with unwavering purpose.

He had to defeat Brandon and get back to Ash, as soon as possible.

++

'I beat Darkrai and Latios… Ash traded grins with Tobias as they waved to the crowds. I know I didn't win, but this is better than any title or trophy.'

"Now you can get distracted."

His grin diminished to a frown, Tobias reminding him of last night's revelation. Now that he was out of the competition, memories and thoughts of Paul kept flashing through his conscience, trying to differentiate the love he has for his mother, for his friends, and for the boy who hurled his mind into chaos like no other.

…And during that evening's get-together of the remaining sixty-four contestants, Ash was still in contemplation, worrying the ones that knew him besides a knowing Tobias who sat beside him on a bench, sipping a mug of green tea while petting Pikachu who slept in-between them.

Barry was at the food-filled table, sampling the little delights with exaggerated bites and glaring at the winner of Sinnoh's Conference. He didn't know why Ash and Pikachu were so cozy with the creeper, and it was really bugging him. His normally spirited rival sat like a statue, staring out of a window with a blank expression.

"Barry!"

He swallowed the mushed cuisine and snapped, "What?!"

A hand smacked him across the head. He switched his glare to the two girls that interrupted his internal grumbling.
    Dawn and Zoey had their arms crossed, the latter snapping back. "Instead of wasting time being jealous over his new friend, go over there and talk to Ash."

Barry sneered, "I'm not jealous! I just don't like the fact that he's ignoring all of us. What's his problem anyway?"

Dawn noticed her rival's shaking fists and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Barry has a point. Ash is usually bursting with energy, but now…" she trailed off, worried.

Zoey looked between them, then at their current subject who was even ignoring his favorite Pokémon. "Maybe he's just disappointed about losing the battle."

"I doubt he'd be sitting next to the one who beat him, if that was the case," Barry spat out with a childish pout.

His attitude was rubbing Zoey the wrong way. The Grand Festival winner scowled, about to say a scathing remark until another voice cut in.

"Don't worry about Ash, you guys. There's just something on his mind that needs some reflection. Once he has it all figured out, he'll be the Satoshi we all know."

"Of course you would know what's wrong with him."

The group of three turned to look at Takeshi, the first to speak in a comforting tone, and Conway, who pushed up his glasses with the usual – and creepy in Dawn's opinion – smirk.

Brock smiled. "Well, I have known him since the beginning of his Pokémon training. This was normal during his first year, so there's nothing we have to worry about. Just leave him be for now."

Truth be told, he had lied to them – this wasn't normal Ash behavior – but if Pikachu was unconcerned, then Brock was too. Whatever Ash was thinking hard about, it was his own business, and interrupting him would be more detrimental than helpful. He just had to keep the others talking to each other until Ash was ready to socialize.

Across from them, Tobias finished his tea. He glanced over and sighed. He honestly didn't expect Satoshi to be this distracted, but it was understandable. The boy was only fifteen, and last night indicated he was more naïve than teenagers usually were. To suddenly realize he has a crush on his rival and potential friend must have been disorienting for an innocent kid like Satoshi, and thinking about it now, Tobias wondered if he should've kept the revelation to himself.

He caught the gaze of Ash's eldest friend, and when the spikey brunet nodded his head slowly, Tobias offered a soft smile.
    Please watch him, was the deciphered message.
    No worries, he pledged.

++

Up in the mountains of Snowpoint City, underneath a forest of crystalized trees, Paul was looking over his lined up Pokémon, standing in front of all six of them with crossed arms and a severe, yet unusually soft frown.

Electivire, Ninjask, Aggron, Gastrodan, Drapion, Froslass… they had done their best and almost won the match against Satoshi, but they were disappointed and ashamed despite their hard work, and he would be foolish not to understand why.
    Shaking his head at himself, he muttered, "I'm proud of you guys," and watched as six heads jolted up in wide-eyed surprise. "There is no need to be ashamed of our loss," he continued, "and if we are to defeat Brandon, you must realize this."

Electivire was the first to step forward, pumping a fist and releasing a low-level thunder attack that enveloped the other five Pokémon in cocoons of bright yellow. The light was snuffed, and immediately, Shinji could see a new resolve alit within his party's hyped up bodies.

Aggron was stomping the ground, imprinting the shape of his clawed foot into the snow, Ninjask buzzing with frantic enthusiasm beside him, while frost was sparkling out from Froslass' floating form, Gastrodan and Drapion bobbing their heads on her left, the latter's purple and lavender extensions bouncing upwards.

Electivire grinned at everyone before beginning a chant of his name along with the others.

Paul's frown cracked, upturning in a barely-there smile at their shared zest, unable and unwilling to smother his fondness for the Pokémon he had caught and raised this past year.

…The following week passed with them training in the snowy mountains, his Pokémon remaining outside their monster balls day and night. The terrain was impressive and perfect for training, its frequent blizzards and hailstorms an opportunity for improving instinct and skill, and most notably, forced Paul to train alongside his Pokémon, a new and rewarding experience for someone who was not a hands-on trainer, preferring to use his own Pokémon against each other to improve endurance and stamina, as well as to eliminate common issues like type disadvantage.

Paul had also noticed a change in his Pokémon since he began complimenting their diligence and stopped working them to exhaustion. None of them had waned in determination as he once feared, instead becoming more focused and eager for improvement, even showing uncharacteristic defiance any time he suggested a momentary rest.

And soon, they were prepared for a rematch with Brandon and his legendary Pokémon at Snowpoint Temple.

The first thing Brandon said to him as they shook hands was, "You have a concentrated fire in your eyes today. I trust you'll show me your best, unlike our previous match."

Paul smirked, an image of a grinning Ash flashing through his mind.

"I won't lose," he declared, confident but without the arrogance he once exuded.

He would not be beaten… because there was someone important waiting for him.

++

Before Ash departed for the ferry ride to Twinleaf Town with Dawn and Brock, Tobias extended a hand for him to take, his other hand scratching beneath Pikachu's chin who was perched on his shoulder, a red cheek rubbing against Tobias's temple.

The scene was adorable, and a bit surprising since Pikachu rarely trusted male humans other than Brock and himself, and they had only known Tobias for a few days. Yet, the older trainer had befriended both a Darkrai and a Latios, legendary Pokémon Ash doubted would follow just anyone. It was unfortunate that they were parting ways. He would have enjoyed learning more about his new, mysterious friend.

Ash accepted his hand, offering a grateful smile. "Thank you for everything, Tobias."

"I didn't do much," Tobias dismissed, glancing at their connected hands when Ash tightened his grip.

"You did a lot for me, honest. I'm not… confused anymore," he mumbled the last part, lightly scratching at the blush blooming across the bridge of his nose with a fingertip. He was unused to addressing such a personal matter now that he understood his feelings, and talking with his mother didn't change that, especially after her blatant hints to bring Paul into their home.

Ash was given a warm smile, Pikachu relocating to his trainer's shoulder as their hands separated. He steadied his best friend as Tobias said, "I wish you luck, Ash. I hope to see you again someday."

"Me too, Tobias."

The man waved, leaving for his own ferry.

Ash stared at his retreating back until he was blending in with the crowd.

He then joined Brock and Dawn who were conversing with Zoey, Barry and Conway having departed on one of the early morning ferry rides.

Dawn tearfully embraced the other girl while Ash joined Brock's side, sharing grins when their eyes met.

All too soon, after a worrying incident involving a Pichu and other baby Pokémon, along with Happiny's evolution into a Chansey, they were only an hour away to their destination, the darkening sky reflecting the upcoming evening.

Ash strode up to Brock who was brooding on the deck, a cause for concern considering the aspiring breeder was typically in a positive, untroubled mood. He settled his arms on the railings like Brock, catching the hazy shadows of Twinleaf Town in the far distance.

"Are you really… thinking of being a doctor instead of a breeder? I mean, ever since we met, your dream has always been to be a Pokémon breeder," he noted. He looked up at his longest traveling companion, angling his head and happily adding, "But you know, I think whatever you decide, you'll be great at it!"

Brock laughed. "Well, thanks, Ash. Your confidence in me is appreciated… and yes, I… Becoming a doctor would require a lot of dedication, and I would have to stay in Pewter City to attain the necessary education. Travelling with you would not be an option." His informative tone dropped in pitch, reflecting the sadness his latest sentence triggered in both of them.

"Well," Ash began quietly, repressing the immediate dread at the thought of being without his most precious human friend, "you should go for it. Nurse Joy believes you can do it, and she knows best, doesn't she?" An endorsement by the renowned Joy family was plenty reason to at least attempt a medical career, and even if it did not work out, Brock would easily become an excellent breeder.

"I guess you're right."

Silence settled after that, and Ash's sudden announcement a brief moment later was as much a surprise to him as to Brock.

"I really like Paul and," he paused, staring down at the ocean where a group of Barboach and Whiscash were swimming in the opposite direction, "and I think I'm falling in love with him."

He hesitantly looked up at Brock, worried his confession would be met with disapproval, but when his friend grinned and clapped him on the shoulder, he was relieved and somewhat ashamed.

Of course Brock was happy for him. The older trainer never assumed Paul to be a cruel, unfeeling person, and even had a level of respect he was not too sure his other friends held for Paul. Ash felt silly for thinking otherwise.

"Honestly, that's not too surprising," Brock stated, wrapping an arm around Ash's neck and playfully twisting his knuckles against his head. "Oh, the overdue realization of romance! My little Ash is growing up!" he wept in a bellowing voice.

Ash laughed at the teasing, already having admitted to his obliviousness to Tobias. He wondered how no one had yet to scream and trample him from frustration after all these years, except maybe, for Misty. The redhead had her own fair share of arguments with him during their three years of travel, and he had no doubt that more than half the time it was because of his lack of understanding. He reminded himself to visit her at some point before his next journey.

Free from Brock grasp, he fixed his askew hat, saying, "Yeah, sorry about that. It must have been annoying."

"Actually, I thought it was one of your more endearing qualities. I'm gonna miss it." Brock smiled, facing the sunset that shone red and orange light unto the ocean blues. "And I'll… miss traveling with you as well."

It took a while for that to process, and when it did, Ash gasped and pulled on the other's sleeve. "You- really!?"

"Yeah," he chuckled out, sounding just as giddy as Satoshi. "You convinced me to go for it. And besides…" Brock joined their hands, speaking with a saccharine voice containing his usual dramatic passion, "this is the perfect time to spread your wings, Ash! You must confess to Paul, no matter what! It'll be scary at first, but with love on your side, you'll be able to overcome anything!"

His hands were released and Ash watched Brock bring up a fist with tears streaming down his cheeks. Ash was amused by the spectacle with a faint blush pinking his face. "It feels like I'm giving my blessings to my own child! It's so beautiful and painful and the desire to find Paul and threaten him to take care of you is just so power- ah…!"

Ash shook his head, sighing as Croagunk dragged a downed Takeshi away.

Dawn came up from behind him and giggled. "What did he do this time? I don't see any girls around."

"You know. He's just being himself," he replied.

And Ash wouldn't want Brock to be any other way.
    ++

"You three are fired as of today."

When Team Rocket abandoned their next plan to capture Pikachu in favor of Delibird's letter delivery, being sacked from the organization was the last thing Jesse and James expected. The letter had demanded their return to headquarters, and since a meeting with the boss himself was a rare occurrence, they had been so sure a promotion was in their future.

The human pair stared at Giovanni with gaping mouths and disbelieving eyes. They couldn't tear their gaze from the boss' indifferent look, his chin propped by his intertwined fingers and his mouth a thin line, boredom radiating from his slouched form.

After a short pause that seemed to last for hours, they were startled by something gripping onto their legs. They glanced down and found Meowth, one paw wrinkling James's pants and claws digging into Jesse's knee-high boots, a fraught reaction not usually associated with their furry partner. He was just as shocked and distressed as them.

Jesse snapped first, a fist forming over her chest as she yelled, angry, confused, and her pride injured, James wearing a wounded expression but staying silent, his own rage boiling within the pits of his stomach, but too used to Jesse taking the reins to actually vent himself, listening as she defended their team, emphasizing their achievements over Team Galactic and that Pokémon Hunter J.

At their feet, Meowth was deaf to Jesse's vehement verbal defense, the word 'fired' echoing in his head. He released his grasp on his team's legs, unknowingly shaking when his thin pupils met another pair.

Giovanni's Persian watched him atop a large throne-like chair, curled up and smug, kneading the fabric he sat on, tail swishing from side-to-side in a mocking manner.

Resignation brought Meowth to his knees, realizing any chance he had of replacing that lap-stealing feline was gone, because they were sacked, dismissed, canned, fired. The spacious room seemed to spin and he barely registered Giovanni's annoyed response.
    That was, until his now former boss ordered Jesse and James to be removed from the premises while he was to be left behind.

Meowth leaped back up to his two-legged stance, seeing his human teammates resisting the forceful pulls of a few grunts. A second group of grunts came running in, helping the others to get Jesse and James out the door.

Not wanting to be separated from his long-time team, he tried to run into the fray, only to be stopped by Persian, who hooked his fangs into the scruff of Meowth's neck. He struggled, panicked and desperate, extending a paw toward Jesse and James. They witnessed his wretched attempt to reach for them, screaming his name, actual tears causing blue and green to shimmer like sapphires and emeralds.

"Meowth…!" was the last thing he heard from Jesse's elegant voice and James's deep tones before they were out of sight, the door slamming shut behind them.

Meowth let out a despaired mewl he never thought would escape from his throat, just as he was tossed aside, his chin slamming down and then scraping against the metal tiles as he slid across.

He slowed to a stop, meeting eyes with his evolution form, the larger cat smirking at him with a flicking tail, looking as if he had eaten a Pidgey… or was about to.

He lifted himself on all fours, the ends of his hair rising along his spine as his back arched, giving into his base instincts the closer Persian creeped towards him. With what little hope he had remaining, Meowth searched for Giovanni, only to realize the man had, at some point, left his office, leaving him to the mercy of this loathsome Persian.

His replacement.

His permanent replacement.

Meowth growled and pointed. "You ruined everything," he hissed, standing on two legs and protracting his claws.
    'Had you spent these years reaching my level instead of failing alongside those pathetic humans, perhaps you would have been in my place. But as a Meowth, you are nothing.' Persian neared him again, the points of his claws clinking against the floor.

The conceit in those rumbling series of meows enraged Meowth, and his momentary fear of the larger feline drained away. "I don't need to evolve into a stupid Persian to be top-cat around here! I can do what no other Pokémon has done! I can speak the human language perfectly, and that is an invaluable ability!" He panted after his declaration, tears of frustration beginning to form at the corners of his narrowed eyes.

He worked hard to get this far. He should have been appreciated and adored, respected, not treated like garbage. At every turn, a metaphorical foot was brutally and maliciously slammed onto his little body, over and over again until he was returned to the bottom of the trash-filled barrel.

And he was so tired of it.

Persian, only a few feet away, scoffed. 'Giovanni doesn't agree, Meowth. Just accept your uselessness, and if you are in need of encouragement, then let me be of assistance.'

That was Meowth's sole warning before Persian attacked, unleashing a swift, downward night slash, one without the mercy a Pokémon battle mandated.

Agonizing pain erupted across his belly. He glimpsed a dark shade of red spraying outward as his body twisted to the side from the force of the other's violent strike, landing on his face and another wave of pain paralyzing him.

'I am going to enjoy this very much, kitten,' came Persian's pleased purr.

Fangs descended upon him and Meowth cowered, wishing he at least had the chance to say goodbye to Jesse and James… And he hated that it was not his only regret…
    ++

The air was clear and crisp. For nearly being Fall, the weather had become a lot cooler. Leaves were changing color and it was the perfect time for training. It had rained a lot less, and Ash had found himself spending time outside a lot more. He didn't know where he had wanted to go to his next journey yet, since all of his friends were busy doing their own thing.

There was Unova, or Kalos. But he thought of maybe revisiting some of the regions he had gone to previously, or competing in some of the Leagues he had been in before, to see if he could win again. Ash had been training his Pokemon that he had caught in Sinnoh.

He had obtained his Squirtle back from The Squirtle Squad, as it had evolved into a Wartortle and it felt like it was out of place in the group. So it now resided back with its friends at Professor Oak's lab. A few days into his training, he was spending time in the Viridian Forest. He had caught a male Nidoran, the little thing had fire in its eyes and was stubborn at first, but when he showed it off to the rest of the gang he slowly calmed down and got to training it, improving its moves and eventually adapting to teamwork.

One week has passed by since Ash has returned to Pallet Town, and while training Nidoran, Buizel and Corphish on the outskirts of The Viridian Forest he told them to fire a few shots at some trees. Ultimately, Ash had disturbed a Beedrill nest, he didn't want to tire out his Pokemon, so he returned them and ran.

After tripping and falling, though catching himself with his hands, a loud, yet familiar cry ran through the air. It was his Pidgeot! After all this time she had come back to him! A powerful gust managed to scare off the swarm of Beedrill. Ash felt tears fill his eyes. He was so happy to see Pidgeot again after so many years.

"Geot!" She cried, and landed on the ground next to Ash. Ash let a hand smooth over the crown of her head and she cooed, he then took his hand and gave her affectionate scratches under her chin.

"I'm sorry I didn't come back for you sooner like I promised." He smiled sadly, soon wiping the tears from his eyes.

Pidgeot cocked her head to the side, but nudged him. He laughed and hugged her. "I've been busy travelling other regions, and right now I don't know which one I want to go to… Things are sort of complicated…" He sighed, sadness still in his voice. Pidgeot considered this, but let out her marvelous winds and offered Ash to hop on her back.

"You… Want me to train you again?"

Pidgeot nodded. "Alright, how bout' you take me back to the lab? Then I'll get a Pokeball for you?" Pidgeot cawed and Ash hopped on her, she flapped her wings and they took off, heading towards Professor Oak's lab.

Finding Pidgeot was one of the best things that could've happened to him. He still had no idea what region he wanted to go to, but as far as he was concerned as long as he had his friends, and as long as he trained, he was fine. He looked to his team, and smiled. Next time he went to a region, he'd be sure to rotate them.

That way he'd get the most experience for them and they'd all be able to level up faster. He'd have them train here as well. Even if he didn't know where exactly he'd be going to, he could always stay here for a few more weeks and train, there wasn't any hurry.

A few more days, it was him, Nidoran, Pikachu, Swellow and Pidgeot practicing some moves in the same place they were before. He'd have to make a mental note to go deeper into the forest, but he noted that this seemed to have the best terrain right now for training.

Swellow and Pidgeot were doing basic aerial maneuverings through the trees. Dodging obstacles that were in their way to get better speed and stamina on their side. Pikachu and Nidoran were using the forest as their own obstacle course as they sparred. Pikachu would hide up in the trees as Nidoran shot attacks to him.

This sort of routine seemed to work out well for Ash, until he heard a rustling in the bushes. Out came a powerful Night Slash, and there stood a Scyther. It was in beautiful condition! His team looked dumbfounded, as they hadn't seen a Scyther in these parts… Ash grinned, he always did say the more the merrier, didn't he?

He told Pikachu to fire a Thunderbolt, and Swellow to Quick Attack, while Pidgeot should Aerial Ace. Eventually the Scyther, though intelligent and crafty and did put up a good fight, managed to dodge a bit, couldn't hold up against all of Ash's Pokemon forever. So, Ash caught it, proud of this new addition, was heading back to Oak's lab to go heal it – when he heard another rustling in the bushes. He was prepared for another battle, but he was surprised to see it was someone familiar.

… Meowth?

++

Ash had rushed back to Oak's lab with Meowth in his arms. It could have been just an ordinary Meowth, but when he wakes up then he'd have answers… As the doors automatically opened, Oak turned around in his chair and his eyes narrowed to see the injured Pokemon in the boy's hands.

"I don't know if this is Team Rocket's Meowth or not," Ash explained. Oak nodded, and proceeded to take out the necessary tools to help it regardless. Criminal or not, Meowth was still a Pokemon, and he couldn't deny a Pokemon help. "Is he going to be okay?" Ash asked, almost a near-whisper.

Meowth had bruises and bite marks, a big red mark was over his belly indicating a major battle had happened. It was clearly a Pokemon who had put up a though fight, that was for sure. Ash was unsure if this was Team Rocket's since Meowth didn't do any battling, but Pikachu had stood on the table, eyes worried as it gazed over the injured Pokemon.

"Don't worry buddy," Ash placed a hand on Pikachu's head. "When it wakes up, we'll see. But with Meowth being in Oak's care it'll be just fine." Pikachu seemed to feel better at this, and hopped on Ash's shoulder.

"Oh yeah – Professor Oak. I caught a Scyther too."

Oak raised a brow. Though happy with the new addition to Ash's team. He had yet to choose which region or League he wanted to compete in, and it began to worry some of his friends, but the aging Professor wasn't bothered; he knew in due time when Ash made his final decision things would be alright in the end.

After all, Ash was Ash.

"Alright, no major injuries to this one? I can place it in the healing machine, then?" Ash nodded and the researcher went over and took the new addition as well as the rest of Ash's Pokemon to the healing machine. "I'll take your others and heal them, too."

"Thanks Professor."

Pikachu couldn't stop looking at Meowth, however. Ash noticed this and smiled. "You wanna stay here with Meowth until it wakes up?" Pikachu's ears perked up. Ash wasn't clueless, at least when it came to his Pokemon's feelings; Pikachu didn't want to be a bother. He just had a feeling that this wasn't just an ordinary Meowth. And if that were the case…

"That's fine, here." Ash placed Pikachu on a stool overlooking Meowth. Its chest was rising, indicating that it was alive – which made Pikachu feel more relaxed. Ash placed a hand on Pikachu's head, making him jump. "I'mma head home, you just head on over when you're ready."

Pikachu dismissed those words completely. He didn't even hear the door shut behind Ash. His eyes were just focused on Meowth's chest rising up and down, up and down.

'Come on… Wake up… Wake up and say something.' Pikachu sighed, so eager to electrocute the cat, but he knew that wasn't going to help, either.

++

It had been a day since Meowth's arrival. It was early morning and Pikachu had decided to sleep in the lab, refusing to move away from the feline's side. It didn't bother anyone, and no one protested which made Pikachu glad. His overprotective behavior wasn't something new to Ash, whenever Ash got injured or overworked himself Pikachu would often worry about him.

Oak had questioned why Pikachu had been so worried about Meowth of all Pokemon, Ash had just shrugged and said; it wasn't like they were complete strangers. Which, was true. Pikachu was a very loyal and kindhearted Pokemon, it stuck its neck out for the people and Pokemon it loved, and would even go so far as to protecting the enemy, if it saw their intentions weren't entirely bad.

Like Team Rocket. They weren't really bad people, nor were they good. They were just… Incompetent. And Pikachu knew that too, as much as Team Rocket bothered Ash and his friends on their travels; they never did anything to severely harm them or get in the way of their journeys.

Professor Oak nodded, understanding the logic behind that. He just wondered who would do something like that to a Pokemon? Not Jesse or James, as they didn't have that much ill-intent. And they were clearly on friendly terms with Meowth. Was it… other members of Team Rocket? Oak shuddered, knowing they had created Mewtwo, something that was intended for malicious purposes – to be the ultimate weapon.

Then they could very possibly do something like that to a Pokemon like Meowth.

"Huh… Wazzat? Where am I?" Meowth finally came to. His head pounding, groaning sunlight from outside blinded him, he had aches in every part of his body. Yet, he wasn't dead. Was he? He wasn't bleeding anymore, that was certain. He felt bandages on his body – who had put them there?

He was in a bed, was he in a Pokemon Center? No… He looked around. He was in a lab. But who's?
    "Pika Pi!"

Pure shock and horror appeared on the cat's face, he faltered, and yelled. "What the hell?!" Rearing his claws, though it was painful. Every movement was painful. "Whaddya want – wanna see me grovel for mercy or something you damn rat? See me beg as I ask you to stop me from being electrocuted, huh?!"

He was rambling, sure. But he had just been attacked by that damn bigger-cat. Meowth hissed, Pikachu took a step back, and Ash and Professor Oak came running in. Meowth's eyes narrowed, he stood up, and as they tried to stop him he glared at them.

"Don't touch me." He warned, voice cold as ice. "I'll scratch your eyes out."

"Whoa. Meowth. What's wrong? What happened?" Ash tried to sound calm, trying not to reach out for the feline but the urge was too strong – Pikachu was there though – just in case.

"Why should I tell ya anything?" Meowth hissed, trying to put one leg out over the bed and he faltered. Pikachu caught him. "I said don't touch!" Meowth scratched Pikachu, and to his bewilderment, the mouse had let him.

Meowth's eyes widened. "What da hell…?"

"We're not here to hurt you, Meowth." Oak reasoned. "We just want to know what happened so we can help you."

Meowth bit his lip. Help? Why should he accept anyone's help? He was thrown out by people he trusted, twice! But right now – he was in pain. And the only one supporting him – holding him – was his mortal enemy. Meowth hissed, feeling the burning sensation in his wounds. "Fine. Just don't touch me."

Pikachu helped him back in a laying position, and backed away.

"I was fired." He said rather bluntly. Ash and Oak turned to each other, and Pikachu blinked.

"Pika?" 'Fired?'

"Yup." Meowth nodded, feeling the burning going away. But his head still hurt. "Fired. Canned. Let go." He said, his words spat out like fire. Ash's eyes widened. "Jesse an' James were escorted' outta the building. But I was left behind."

Oak looked concerned, not that he cared. "Why?" It was a barely audible whisper, but Meowth glared. Yet, he mentally shrugged it off
    realizing he couldn't get out of it. So he explained it slowly, and the easiest way for the humans to understand.

"To get ridda me. For good."

… Oh. Ash gaped. "What – "

"I explained, can you leave me alone now?" He turned his head, trying to move his body despite the pain, letting out a hiss as he did so. "I don't like answerin' Twenty Questions."

Ash shut his mouth. His fists clenched. Who could do that to a Pokemon? Whoever it was… No… He didn't like to think about it. Oak placed a hand on Ash's shoulder, reminding him to calm down.

"I still need to treat you for your wounds, but when you're ready let me know."

Meowth considered this, realizing it probably wasn't good to go on sitting around in pain. "Sure. Whatever." He said, a bit muffled since a part of his face was buried into the pillow.

Pikachu had just stared at his former enemy… Beaten and bruised. Broken. He wanted to cry, but he wouldn't have Meowth witness that. He hopped off the bed and ran over to Ash, who was already heading out the door with Oak.

Someone will pay.

++

"Is that him?"

"Yes. That is him, youngling."

"I thought the Chosen One would be…"

A pause.

"… taller."

"He is a bit underdeveloped, even at his age. He was born fifteen years ago. Unlike Pokémon, humans grow at a slower rate. They reach their prime when they are about eighteen years of age."

"Oh, right. Forgot that little detail. So what am I supposed to do exactly?"

"Teach him everything about Aura: how to harness it, how to use it, and how to fight with it. And in exchange he will help you grow stronger."

"He has already used Aura once along with Sir Aaron's Lucario and together they helped revive the Tree of Beginning. It's even similar to that of Sir Aaron himself."

"You mean… The Chosen One… Is a decedent that of Sir Aaron?"

A nod. "That is what we believe, youngling."

"That is… amazing."

"So, what do you say? Will you teach The Chosen One everything there is to know about manipulating Raw Aura and in exchange, he and you will together form bonds with many Pokemon, eventually setting out to other regions and gathering more Pokemon to join your cause."

"I accept. I would be more than happy to agree to these terms, Father."

A deep chuckle.

"Good. Now get going!"

++

Ash was currently lost in his own world. Sitting somewhere deep in The Viridian Forest, with Pikachu by his side, he hadn't really been training since Meowth had shown up. He didn't know what he was doing here, and why he wasn't training his Pokemon. But he felt so out of it – what Meowth had said.

To get rid of him.

Ash felt nauseous, who could do something like that? Team Rocket weren't that bad, were they? Well, they created Mewtwo… Yeah… But… He shook his head, growling. Not even paying attention that Pikachu was there next to him, eyeing him, concerned. He kicked the ground and a stone hopped a few feet a way's.

He then felt a gust of power coming his way, and Pikachu's ears perked up. It wasn't like before when he had known Scyther was there – or with Pidgeot. It was familiar – it was – an Aura. Ash straightened up, Pikachu got on all fours, electricity fuming from his cheeks.

Out came a lithe figure, something that he knew before while travelling in Sinnoh. But what was it doing here, in Kanto? It's blue body, yellow belly, racoon mask and large eyes were all darted straight at him. It was indeed a Riolu, a Sinnohan-native Pokemon.

"Hello Guardian, why are you in distress?"

Telepathy, Ash realized. Pikachu released its stance and sat down. Ash rubbed the back of its head, remembering that Lucario could sense his emotions with Aura. "I… A lot has been on my mind is all." A simple nod from the Jackal, then Ash blinked, realizing what he had just said. "Wait. Did you just call me Guardian?"

"Clearly you got the message from Arceus, being the Chosen One; you're training to master Aura starts today. You will become an Aura Guardian and protect the world from evil upbringings."

Ash opened his mouth, he knew what Lugia had said back on the Orange Islands, about him saying that he was The Chosen One. But…

"Oh. The Chosen One. I sort of forgot."

Riolu's expression deadpanned, nearly falling flat to the ground. "You… forgot?"

"Lugia from the Shamouti Islands told me I was The Chosen One, but that was when I was eleven. So, it's been a while since I put much thought into any of this. And I haven't used Aura in years…" He rubbed the back of his head, an honest answer being an honest mistake. He felt embarrassed, he didn't know he was supposed to advance his Aura training… He just wanted to travel and partake in the Pokemon League.

"My real goal is to travel around the world and participate in Pokemon Leagues, eventually becoming a Pokemon Master, so that's what I've been trying to do. That's why I haven't been training or anything."

Riolu nodded, understanding Ash's reasoning. "I understand, though there will be plenty of time for that. For now, I will teach you how to fight and harness raw Aura and how to form bonds with your Pokemon."

… Ash let this process for a minute, then he looked at his Pokemon. "Can my Pokemon learn Aura too?"

"Of course. They can also preform Aura bonds which will allow you to speak telepathically like I am to you right now." Riolu smiled, and then formed an Aura-link with Pikachu. "Hello." His mind spoke to the mouse. His ears poked upright, tail twitching.

"Hi!" He smiled, eyes moving to Ash, then back to the Jackal. "This is cool! I can hear you in my head!"

"Yes." Riolu purred. "Very cool indeed."

"So," Pikachu started. "Once we train Ash to do Aura, he can do this to, with any Pokemon?"

"Yes. So as long as he forms an Aura bond with them. But once he's mastered training, it'll be an easy process, I promise." Riolu smiled, Ash blinked, wondering what they were talking about. "I have already developed an Aura bond with Ash. I will soon teach you to do the same."

Ash heard that, and he looked up towards Riolu. "How long will training take?"

"About a month, give or take, depending how dedicated you are." The lithe Pokemon smiled walking past his new student, Ash grinned.

"Of course I'm dedicated! Dedication is my middle name!" Pikachu hopped on Ash's shoulder. "Oh – I should probably catch you now that you're going to be teaching me all this stuff… Would you mind being a part of my team and travelling with me?"

Riolu looked up to Ash as they were headed back to the lab.
    "I don't mind at all."

++

One month had gone by, Ash had explained to Professor Oak and his mother that he was going to start training with Riolu to learn how to grasp his Aura. He had performed Aura bonds with all his Pokémon that were in Oaks lab, all but one.

He noticed Meowth had yet to leave, and this – while it didn't bother him. He knew there was something on his mind that needed to be said, before he left for his next journey. Meowth wasn't going to like it, and probably was going to reject his offer, but it was better than doing nothing, right?

Meowth was laid back on the grass, looking up at the clouds. The other Pokémon didn't seem to be bothered by his presence since he arrived there about a month ago. He didn't need to explain that he wasn't going to try and capture them, the twerp had already done that.

Just then, he heard footsteps coming towards him.

"Meowth," He looked up, frowning at the sight of the raven-haired brat. The kid had left him alone for the whole month, letting him relax and do whatever it is he wanted. So what did he want now? "You know how I've been training to control my Aura, right?"

Meowth shrugged, not really caring. "Is that what it was? I wasn't paying attention." It was a lie, he knew all about how the kid had seen various legendary(s) and how he had been there at The Tree of Beginning. Riolu had tried conversing with him at one point, interested in Meowth's ability to converse verbally with humans.

Not that he cared, though.

Ash had tried to repress a scowl from coming onto his face. Instead, he placed his hands to his side, and rather firmly, he just stated: "Well, I was wondering if you'd be interested in learning Aura with me."

Meowth blinked. Aura? He could do that? Thinking back to what Riolu had said – the youngling did say something about how any Pokémon could manipulate Aura, or something like that. "Me?" He asked, careful and not to overstep anything. "I can't fight! No way – no how!"

Ash raised a brow. "Why not?"

"Cause… Why would I wanna do dat'? I mean, I'm more of an intellectual, conversin' type." Ash frowned, Meowth met the boy's gaze with his own glare. Yet, he looked up at the sky. He saw a few of the boy's flying type Pokémon fly overhead, and his scowl deepened. "Sides' Jesse an' James' Pokémon always did all the battlin'. Why do I need to learn how to fight?"

Ash crossed his arms, a smirk appeared across his lips that Meowth wasn't paying attention to. "Don't you want to get stronger, to beat Giovanni's Persian?"

Meowth looked at Ash with an 'o' expression. He then stammered out the next sentence: "D-Don't use that against me! That's playin' dirty, brat!"

Ash rolled his eyes. "You play dirty all the time. Last time I checked you were a criminal."

Meowth deflated and shrugged. "Yea, well now I ain't."

"So – why don't you train? Also, Professor Oak gave me this." Ash took a small brown bag out of his pocket, he tossed it to Meowth who caught it with one of his paws. "It's for you, open it."

No one had ever given him anything before. Meowth stared blankly at the little bag, feeling the weight of the object in his paws. He then opened the drawstring and it revealed a stone. "An Everstone." His voice barely a whisper, he could feel the kid smiling at him, his stomach churning. "This is – for me?" It was attached to a string, which fit perfectly around his neck. He felt it, it was nice. Like, natural.

"That way, no matter how strong you get, you won't evolve. Pikachu has been able to defeat several Raichu before without evolving; so why not?" Ash still had his arms crossed, impatiently waiting for an answer.

"I'm not joinin' you or anythin'… I don't want to be anyone's pet…" Meowth grumbled, fiddling with the Everstone around his neck. It was smooth and well crafted. Like it was brand new – it probably was. He felt warm and fuzzy and all that crap on the inside… It was sickening.

"What are you going to do? Stay here forever?"

Meowth winced. He hated the brat's logic. He didn't want to stay here forever. He eventually wanted to find Jesse and James, and reunite with them, and get payback on that Persian, yeah. But – become a part of the twerp's Pokemon? No… He couldn't…

"If you join me, I'll teach you how to manipulate Aura, just like the rest of my team. I'll catch you, but after that you won't ever have to be in your Pokeball, just like Pikachu."

Ash smiled. He had really thought this out, hadn't he? Meowth sighed. "Also," He bent down to Meowth's level. "I would like to form an Aura bond with you so I can speak to you telepathically."

Meowth blinked, baffled. "But I can already talk."

Well, that much was obvious, Ash nodded. "But with this, the Aura bonds I have formed with my other Pokémon you can speak to them telepathically as well. And it'll speed up the Aura Training much faster. Trust me."

Meowth considered this, but the kid was already giving him so much to choose from, how could he refuse? "I wanna see Jesse an' James again. They may be idiots, but they're mah idiots. As cheesy as that sounds, they just beat the snot outta me without giving me the chance to say goodbye." Eyes flashed across Ash's frame.

"Okay. No problem. Do we have a deal?"

Meowth sighed. "Deal." They shook hand-in-paw, then, Ash leaned for the back of Meowth's neck and traced a hand behind his back. "Whoa – "Meowth balanced himself for the Aura that emitted from the kid's body. It felt like a pulse of some strange energy that went through his entire frame. "Dat was weird."

Ash nodded. "Yeah… Sorry about that." Ash smiled, then stood up. "I'll go get a Pokeball for you, then we can get some training in… As for Aura manipulation most of my Pokémon already have it down."
    Meowth nodded, standing up. "How long does this take?"

"For a Pokémon, not long. But I've been training for a few months. Riolu can help you with the physical aspects of training," Ash smiled, Meowth blinked. Physical? He'd have to fight physically? "I know Meowths can learn Thunder, so to develop that move Pikachu can help you and any other electric-based attacks you may develop."

"Whaddya gonna do? Shoot lightning bolts at me?" Meowth asked, slightly horrified to hear the twerp's answer.

Ash felt a smile curl at his lips. "Something like that."

Meowth felt a pit form in his stomach. He didn't know if his decision was wise or not, but if this training required him to take on Pikachu's electricity again, then he was sure he could do it… So long as he got to see Jesse and James… And apologize.

++

One week later, Ash got a call from Reggie. He wasn't unhappy, but he was surprised. He didn't know how Reggie managed to get a hold of his number but –

"Zoey told me." Ah. That explained it. Wait. Zoey visited Reggie? "She said something about you being concerned about Paul, so I decided to see if you were alright."

Ash blushed, rubbing the back of his head. Reggie laughed, not too loud, or else Ash would have blushed an even deeper red. "Paul's back, he lost to Brandon. He's pretty upset about it."

Ash formed an 'o'. He didn't know what to say, he wished he was there, comforting him. Though Paul wasn't the one who generally liked to be gushed over. Ash's felt his shoulders go slack… "I was… Wondering if Paul wanted to travel with me… I've been having a hard time deciding on where I want to go next… But I think when I do, it'll be more fun with someone around."

Reggie raised a brow, curious. "What about Dawn, or Brock?"

Ash nodded, frowning. "Brock is trying to be a Pokémon Doctor, and Dawn is trying her best to travel around Sinnoh and become a Pokémon designer. So that leaves me without anyone to travel with currently. That, aside from my Pokémon."

Reggie nodded, understanding. "Why don't you talk to Paul? He's taken a break from training and I think he could use a little pick-me-up. Talking to you always seemed to help."

Before Ash could respond, Reggie went to go get the purple-haired teen. Ash put his hand down, and there appeared Paul, in a white T-Shirt and baggy black pants, his eyes narrowed as if he hadn't seen Ash in years. It really had only been three months, but the words they had said to each other at the dock that day at the Conference still rung loudly in his mind.

… Ash spoke first. "Are you okay?"

Paul looked tired. Like he hadn't been getting much sleep. Same went for Ash, but he had been training. He looked like he had been out in the wilds for three years, or something.

Paul nervously (since when was Paul ever nervous?) ran a hand through his hair and nodded. The greasy bangs shifting to the side and then falling as his hand then rest to his leg. "Yeah… Getting better."

He wanted to say; I lost and, I'm sorry. But the words didn't come.

Ash nodded… He fought the tears that started to weld in the back of his eyes, he closed them for a moment, then took a deep breath. "I'm proud of you, Paul."

After opening them, he wasn't surprised to see Paul's expression. Paul looked like he had just heard Ash say the craziest thing ever. But Ash wasn't crazy, he was really, really proud of Paul. He had come a long way since the day they had met, and he knew deep down he was a really good person.

"Reggie told me you lost." Paul shut his mouth, frowning. "But that's okay. I lost too."

Ash grinned. Paul was too frowning. "It doesn't matter to me if I win or lose. It's the thrill of the battle that's important, the experiences that I get while travelling with my friends, and battling other trainers along the way is what excites me. And – you lost – "

"And your proud of that?" Paul didn't sound angry, more curious than anything. But Ash nodded. "Why?"

No one was proud of him for losing, ever. No one had told him 'hey good job, you lost!' And given him a hug or a pat on the back. But Ash had always accepted defeat like it was a reward itself.

"Because you don't learn anything without loss." Like Tobias said about you don't get anywhere in life without heartbreak,

Ash had learned to appreciate the losses he had experienced over his years as a trainer. He had learned what they had taught him and valued them more than winning. "Losing has taught me more than any win ever has, and I got to beat
    Darkrai and Latios. That's more than any trophy or title could get me."

He rubbed his nose. Paul shook his head. "What?" Ash asked, raising a brow.

"You're a loser, Ash." But he wasn't angry. In fact, Paul had laughed. Ash was stunned, he had never heard Paul laugh before – and – in fact. It was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard in his life.

"Hey, well starting today, we're both losers."

They both laughed. After that, they talked for the next half hour. Discussing Ash's training and how he'd been developing new routines for each of his Pokémon. He also talked about how he had acquired Riolu, which Paul was surprised at. He also then talked about…

"So… you're the Chosen One?'

Ash nodded, rubbing the back of his head. It wasn't something easy to accept. "Yeah. It's not something I like to brag about. But I sorta saved the world… More than once."

Paul was agape, though after seeing Ash and the way he was with his Pokémon, that wasn't really surprising. "I've been having a hard time choosing which region I want to go to, next. I sort of want to go to a region I've already been to, to see if I can compete in one of the leagues and try again."

Paul understood this. He too would like a shot at the regions he's visited before. "I need to train my Pokemon on how to use their Aura better, I've been training for the past month on doing just that. But I really want to hit the road now. Just…"

"Just…?" Paul was waiting for it.

"I was wondering if you'd like to travel with me." Ash closed his eyes – not wanting to see Paul's face – he really hoped it was a yes. "Dawn and Brock are off doing their own things. And all my other travel companions are too busy, Gary, my former rival is a researcher in Sinnoh, so he's out."

"Wait – Gary. Gary Oak?" Paul blinked.

"Yeah. Professor Oak's grandson. We've known each other since kids, growing up in Pallet Town." Ash smiled, how did Paul know about that?

"I saw your battle at the Silver Conference. It was impressive."

… Oh… Wait… Paul knew about Ash before they had met? "Then why didn't you say anything?"

Paul shrugged. "Because when I met you, I didn't think you'd be that annoying." He smirked. Ash deflated. "But sure, travelling. Why not."

Ash blinked. That was a yes? "So – you – "

"Yes, Ash. I want to travel with you."

… Ash's heart skipped a beat. He felt like he could jump for joy right now. But he had to maintain his cool, and not look weird in front of Paul. He smiled though, bigger than usual. He had just felt a wave of happiness that he hadn't felt since he had battled Tobias.

"Alright!" It was sudden, Ash's hands flung straight up to the air and he knew Paul was there watching, but honestly he didn't care.

Paul shook his head. "Where to?"

Ash stopped mid-air, looking up at the ceiling. Where to? That was a good question. "What about…" He crossed his arms, trying to think. Paul had just come back from Kanto, so that was out. He had just gone to Sinnoh so that was out; he thought some more. "Johto?"

Paul's eyes narrowed. Ash smiled.

"Sure." He shrugged. So, it was official, Ash and Paul were going to Johto.

++

"Professor Oak!" Ash hurried into Oak's lab as fast as he could. The Professor was at his desk, looking over some new trainer applications that would be getting new starters. "I know where I want to head next! And guess what – Paul agreed to travel with me!"

Oak blinked. "Paul?"

Ash skidded to a halt as he reached the Professor's desk. "Yeah. My rival from Sinnoh. We're going to be traveling though Johto. Though, thing is I'll be taking Meowth, Pikachu and Riolu with me but none of them want to stay inside their Pokeballs…"

Oak nodded at this. "Well then, I can always up the limit on how many you carry from six to twelve, that is if you think you're able to take on the responsibility."

"Really?"

"Of course. I'm a Regional Professor, as well as your sponsor. I'm more than capable of doing such." The Professor smiled, as he stood up, he gave a reassuring pat on Ash's shoulder. "And while I'm at it, I can give a call to Rowan in Sinnoh so he can do the same for Paul."

Ash smiled. "Thank Professor!"

++

Once Ash got the newest update for his Pokedex, as well as his Pokeball capacity updated, he decided it was time for him to hit the road. He got the Pokeballs for Meowth, Pikachu and Riolu readied onto his belt. He also decided to take along with him his Torterra, and Pidgeot for transportation. Though he wondered if she could carry all four of them to the ferry.

Paul was only bringing his Torterra for now, but eventually he'd rotate the others like Ash was. And for the sake of familiarity, Ash thought it'd be good for the two to catch up and form a relationship…

Meowth sniggered, and so did Pikachu. Ash blinked, looking down at the two. "What's so funny?" He scowled, seeing the cat had relaxed his arms behind his head.

"Nothin' just you keep thinkin' about the purple-haired twerp so much. It's gonna give me a cavity." Meowth started to hoot with laughter, and the sniggers were soon followed via-mental link with Riolu and Pikachu.

Ash kicked at Meowth as he growled through the link and the cat almost tumbled over. "Hey!" He cried, and Ash rolled his eyes.

"We have to get to the ferry." Ash called out Pidgeot and she spread her massive wings. "Think you can carry all of us?"

"Of course I can! What do you think that training was for?" She smiled, Ash nodded and hopped on, and his companions soon followed. Meowth was a little unsure about being lifted up several hundred feet into the air, his claws dug deep into Pidgeot's feathers but she didn't seem to mind. "Ooh, look at this someone's… Scared of heights?"

"I am not scared you feather-brain!" And Pidgeot did a dive, Meowth clawed deeper into her. "Okay! A' lied, just don't do that again!"

The others laughed as they reached closer to the port, Pidgeot landed and then pecked at Meowth. "Yeowch! What was that for?"

"For digging your claws into my beautiful feathers. Brute." Ash rolled his eyes and returned Pidgeot into her Pokeball, rubbing his side Meowth mumbled some inaudible words and along with Riolu and Pikachu, boarded the ferry.

There was a battle competition going onboard, Ash decided to partake in it. Meowth needed the experience most of all, and most of the trainers were beginners so it was easy for him to battle a simple Metapod or two. When the real challenge came, one of the judges who was a native from Unova and had an Unovian Pokémon at their side, Ash switched to Riolu, then Pikachu, the Pidgeot.

The judge who challenged Ash had a Maractus. He was glad Oak had decided to give his Pokedex an upgrade allowing him to scan for Unova and Kalos Pokemon in case he came across them. Ash and his team were crowned the winner of the tournament, and along with it came a prize.

"Well young man, your Pokémon are quite impressive." One of the judges said with a pleasant smile. "This Pokémon is very rare, and it was very expensive. So, I hope you take good care of it."

"I sure will." Ash accepted the Pokeball – which was a Dusk Ball, indicating that it was a Pokémon that would only come out at night… Ash opened it up, and a glowing light overwhelmed the area. There, out came a tiny black foxlike creature with a bit of red fur on the tuff of its head.

Ash's eyes widened… "No way…"

++

After carrying the new Pokémon to his room, he quickly scanned it in the Pokedex. He then learned it was a Pokémon called Zoura, and like he thought, it was native to Unova. The others had been silent the whole time the little fox looked around. It's large eyes and tiny black frame looked up at Ash, cocking its head to the side.

"Uh… Hi Zoura. There was a battle competition on this boat, and I won. I was given you as a prize, and now you're my Pokémon…" He rubbed the back of his head. "You don't have to fight or anything if you don't want to, but I'd like it if you became a part of my team. I'm an Aura Guardian in training, and my dream is to become a Pokemon Master."

"Aura Guardian?" Zoura's eyes lit up, her tail began to wag. "I thought those were only fairytale stories – but they're real? And you're really an Aura Guardian?"

Riolu stepped forward and developed a mental-link with the little black fox. "In training. I am currently teaching him everything there is to know about Aura. And I can teach you as well."

"Oooh!" Zoura bounced happily. "Momma told me about Aura. She said once we learn it we can transform."
    The others cocked their head to the side. "Transform?"

Zoura nodded. "Uh-Uh. Momma would transform in order to disguise herself from bad humans. Wait – so you protect Pokémon from bad humans? Momma said that's what an Aura Guardian does."

Ash looked at the others, and they shrugged. Ash nodded, placed his hands on his hips, and smiled. "Yup! I do! And with my Pokémon are my best friends! They always go on adventures with me to other regions and get stronger with me. So, do you wanna join?"

"Yup, yup!" Zoura yipped happily and jumped side to side. "Aura Guardian sounds fun!" Ash laughed and bent down, scratching her on the head.

"I'm going to start up an Aura Bond so your Aura Training can go by a lot faster, okay? It won't hurt, I promise."
    Zoura nodded, feeling the hand go down her back and she stretched, shivered a bit as the raw power went through her body. "You're already capable of telepathy though, like Riolu is."

"Telepathy?" Zorua looked up, curious.

"Speaking to each other by creating a mind link." Riolu stood beside Zoura, his comforting, supporting emotions were cast onto the little one.

"Ooh. I see."

Meowth sighed, shaking his head. "Now we have a kid. I'm no good with kids."

"In due time Meowth, you'll learn. Kids aren't as bad as you seem." Pikachu giggled, hopping up on the bed. But Meowth still wasn't so sure. As far as he knew, kids were too rough, and too wild. They only wanted to play for hours on end. Instead of worrying about the little Zoura though, he climbed up onto the bed and curled up to sleep with his former enemy. "Goodnight…" Pikachu yawned out.

"Yeah, yeah. Goodnight to you to." Meowth smiled, shaking his head, ignoring the fact that Riolu and the newest addition were playing together as he tried to sleep.

Back