• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] [FR] Title screen edit & Oak Info removal

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2022
    Hello, this is my first post here so sorry if it's incorrect and everything.
    I'm im the process of learning and creating a rom hack of Fire Red, and want to do a few specific things that I have been researching for about a week.

So first of all, I would like to do a Liquid Crystal-esque title screen where a pokemon is animated. I've read through the post by Darthatron, but would like just a little bit of direction on how to do this. As far as I can tell, it would be easier to create this through a disassembly (im looking through pokefirered)-- but the only problem is that the 'tutorial' is in ASM, and pokefirered is obviously in C. If I were to insert the asm by compiling it like normal routines, where would I insert and hook it into? I have a good idea of where I think it might go from reading the disassembly, but have no idea where I would put it in hex.

Second thing: So far, the only hack that I know to do this is Pokemon Saffron, but I haven't had luck contacting the creator and asking him. Again, I've been looking through the disassembly trying to find some function that I can comment out, or where oak_intro.c is called on for a function, but I can't find anything that does, and I'm just not well versed enough in C (or in pokemon's way of doing things) to tell where it is called. I would think just removing the function itself and running the script from it that places the character in the house would suffice, but again, I am not sure. If anyone could guide me on this I would be very grateful.

If there is a better way to do these things than through a disassembly (not being able to apply the patches I've used after the fact???) then please let me know, I'm eager to learn this!

Thank you!

Back