• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why "Touchscreen"?

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
Years
  • Having your left hand on the arrow keys all the time sounds rather uncomfortable. Unless you want to keep switching your right hand between the mouse and the arrow keys constantly, at which point the interface becomes rather cumbersome to switch between.

Or, y'know, use the arrow keys with your right handd and the mouse with your left.
    Then again, it's much easier to use a Laptop's touchpad mouse than a traditional one in the case I just pointed out.
    It's not like you need to do much with the mouse anyway, besides clicking the left mouse button.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Honestly how hard is it to just change the arrow keys to wasd? Gosh, just change 4 variable and there you have it.... Takes less than a minute

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I am not a big fan of the words that this community uses on a lot of stuff... Like "touch screen" Its not a damn touch screen... Its just a GUI, you are not touching anything, you are using a mouse... Just stop using that word please... Also I agree with JV, only using 1/4 of the screen for actual game play is not very wise

It is a generic term for the type of development that is taking place here, it is widely acknowledged that that term is in reference to the feature used in the series we are creating fan games for.

As far as the 1/4 screen goes, I am not looking for your input, but thanks.

Now stop trolling for crying out loud, all I see from you is posts which are deliberately trying to stir up conflict.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    It is a generic term for the type of development that is taking place here, it is widely acknowledged that that term is in reference to the feature used in the series we are creating fan games for.

As far as the 1/4 screen goes, I am not looking for your input, but thanks.

Now stop trolling for crying out loud, all I see from you is posts which are deliberately trying to stir up conflict.
    *no comment* on the last line

But game developmet is a lot about taking in people's inputs... Look what happened to Sega and the sonic family, took years to finally listen to fans.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I hate the term "Touch screen" and "Dual Screen" for the fan games, but I just ignore it since all the games that use those features on this board are pokemon fan games, and they are emulating a game played on a device which has those 2 terms attached to it lol.

Generally, rather then the double vertical size window, I'd rather see something like worldslayers and davidthefats GUI. It suits the PC format a lot more.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • *no comment* on the last line

But game developmet is a lot about taking in people's inputs... Look what happened to Sega and the sonic family, took years to finally listen to fans.

I am not saying I do not take input. There is a reason Calis is home to my project, because I get feedback to allow me to adjust things according to the audience I am creating it for.

But this topic is not about giving me input on my work, it is for discussion of the actual "touch screen" feature.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    In all honesty, the touchscreen is pretty handy all in all. I think the idea of some people not liking it is based on the fact that it is often used in the DS fashion which turns people off. The touch screen allows for more user friendly interaction with the interface, and saves what can sometimes be a headache of configuring a bunch of keys.

More or less it is a feature that will continue to enter games here on the Pokecommunity, and while some will always complain, there are others that are happy it is included.

Also the touchscreen feature would be convenient for PC tablets such as the HP Slate.

I'm not really much of a picky person ,but all think that matters is if the game is good or not . I agree with the user firendly argument and your DS argument. Touchscreens should be implemented to make it easier to play ,but a DS-like touchscreen would be great for those who have tablets ,but not for the good ol' traditional PC.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Also the touchscreen feature would be convenient for PC tablets such as the HP Slate.

I'm not really much of a picky person ,but all think that matters is if the game is good or not . I agree with the user firendly argument and your DS argument. Touchscreens should be implemented to make it easier to play ,but a DS-like touchscreen would be great for those who have tablets ,but not for the good ol' traditional PC.
    You obviously don't know what you are talking about... Since the touch pad is the mouse for the tablet pcs, it would behave the same as on a desktop with a mouse... There is no difference

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • You obviously don't know what you are talking about... Since the touch pad is the mouse for the tablet pcs, it would behave the same as on a desktop with a mouse... There is no difference

You don't know what you are talking about davidthefat.

A lot of graphic designers use tablets, and do not use keyboards. Tablets have implemented on screen keybaords which users use when they do not have a keyboard, which can make emulating keyboard play pretty hard and not pleasant.

In this case, a mouse system would be very nice to have.

All in all, maybe those who are using a mouse system in their games, should try and implement it as a option you can toggle on and off, and vice versa for those who are not using them?

Problem solved, thank you, thank you. I will be here all week folks. You are a great crowd.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    You don't know what you are talking about davidthefat.

A lot of graphic designers use tablets, and do not use keyboards. Tablets have implemented on screen keybaords which users use when they do not have a keyboard, which can make emulating keyboard play pretty hard and not pleasant.

In this case, a mouse system would be very nice to have.

All in all, maybe those who are using a mouse system in their games, should try and implement it as a option you can toggle on and off, and vice versa for those who are not using them?

Problem solved, thank you, thank you. I will be here all week folks. You are a great crowd.
    No, just no, he said tablet PC, tablet PCs do not have a mouse, but their touch screen is the mouse. So it would not make any difference playing with a mouse or a touch pad... No, tablets are not the same as tablet PCs. Tablets are considered HID (Human Interface Device) but a Tablet PC is a PC with a touch screen as their main screen, like the iPhone.

Edit: also you do not know your audience, thats a big problem, are you targeting "hardcore" gamers or something? No Pokemon would be considered casual gaming, I doubt most people even have tablet PCs... And if they did, its not made for gaming and is usually not their main PC

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • No, just no, he said tablet PC, tablet PCs do not have a mouse, but their touch screen is the mouse. So it would not make any difference playing with a mouse or a touch pad... No, tablets are not the same as tablet PCs. Tablets are considered HID (Human Interface Device) but a Tablet PC is a PC with a touch screen as their main screen, like the iPhone.

If I gave you a star for every dumb remark you had, you would own the sky sir.

I know the difference between a tablet PC and a tablet, I will also tell you that a fair amount of people who uses a tablet, PC or not, use an on screen keyboard. Which is a hassle to play a game with if the game requires a keyboard.

Regardless, the matter of using one or not will be an ageless debate for Pokemon fangames, and a true developer would develop for a larger audience, which means trying to appeal to those who like certain features while still appealing to those who do not like the feature.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Enough of the bickering guys.
    This is a warning before infractions are handed out.
    Feel free to discuss the topic, but don't start slicking insults around the board.
    I normally don't like giving infractions because I feel most members cop on.
    So this is just a heads up.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    No, just no, he said tablet PC, tablet PCs do not have a mouse, but their touch screen is the mouse. So it would not make any difference playing with a mouse or a touch pad... No, tablets are not the same as tablet PCs. Tablets are considered HID (Human Interface Device) but a Tablet PC is a PC with a touch screen as their main screen, like the iPhone.

Edit: also you do not know your audience, thats a big problem, are you targeting "hardcore" gamers or something? No Pokemon would be considered casual gaming, I doubt most people even have tablet PCs... And if they did, its not made for gaming and is usually not their main PC

The HP Slate has the special touchscreen oriented version of Windows 7 which allows it to be used as you would use the iPhone or the iPad while also being a full-featured PC, so its a Tablet and a PC. You really wouldn't have to worry about difficulty of use since the menu interface allows for simpler use.

This ability in of itself would allow touchscreen games and DS Emulators to be used in their original intended way.

I'm just illustrating the features ,not flaming anyone . so don't take anything personally .

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • It's because a large number of those in the community are sheeple and want their games to be just like the official ones.

Waudby

It's because a large number of those in the community are sheeple and want their games to be just like the official ones.

i love that word Sheeple, never heard it before now :P

and i used the dual screen idea before, but only more of a proof of concept than anything. But now i dont think there's any point, it distracts the user. And if used probably theres enough plenty of screen space on a normal 256x192 screen.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I use RPG Maker 2k3 and it doesn't have the option to go to that resolution. It's 320 by 240.
    The user can double up the screen size, or full screen it if they wish though.

Back