• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] I need help understanding part of a tutorial please!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2018
    Hi there!

So, to preface, I'm admittedly pretty new to ROM hacking, and this is my first post on this forum, so I hope y'all don't chastise people too much for their lack of knowledge lol

Anyway, I'm currently following this tutorial on expanding my Fire Red Pokedex

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318569

And reading it, I understand everything except for one part:

"Using this, pick two locations in the RAM freed by JPAN's hack to be where Seen and Caught flags will go. Note that later steps will be easier if you put them next to each other."

Now I'm fairly sure I understand the concept of Seen and Caught flags, but other than that, I'm not sure what I'm meant to do at this part.

Apologies for making a new post about it instead of replying to this post, but looking through it, multiple people have asked my same question with no response :/

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I've never axpanded the Pokedex but I believe it's referring to JPAN's save block hack that adds some unused RAM space to the saveblock. You must first apply the save block hack and then choose some of the free memory it adds to the saveblock, and store your new seen/caught flags there. Though I recommend using either PGE or G3HS as both of those programs automatically do all of this for you!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2018
    I've never axpanded the Pokedex but I believe it's referring to JPAN's save block hack that adds some unused RAM space to the saveblock. You must first apply the save block hack and then choose some of the free memory it adds to the saveblock, and store your new seen/caught flags there. Though I recommend using either PGE or G3HS as both of those programs automatically do all of this for you!

Thanks for the reply, I guess I didn't really word my question right.

I understand that the hack adds unused RAM space, but the part I'm stumped on is the seen/caught flags.

How do I determine these? Is there a set value for them?

Sorry, this is probably a really dumb question but like I said I'm relatively new to this lol

(Also thanks for the recommended programs, I'll give them a look later)

Back