• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Selling my collection

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2021
    Hi everybody,

I plan to sell my entire pokemon collection I collected as a kid as I don't collect, trade, play or find any use for them anymore.
    What should I be aware of first of all when selling?
    Is there a difference of value depending on where you live?
    Most cards are in good but used condition. Some (a few) are quite a few bad scratches on the card.

I have a link to photos of all my cards, you can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/qRWgf3n

A guy offered me 50$ (but in my currency). Is that a good offer? I feel like he is scamming me from searching for a few cards on ebay. However I'm honestly not sure...
    Hope to learn something from people knowing this much more than me.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    While I think it's super cute that your organized your collection by national dex, most places you'd be selling to would net a higher price if listed numerically and by the name of the set (Base, Jungle, Fossil, etc). So my first step if I were you would be to sort that out first and foremost. People want full and complete sets, not just Pokedexes made from any placeholder Pokemon of the same name, ya know? A Base Set Nidoking is very different from a Steam Siege Nidoking. Looking briefly at your collection, I'm not seeing anything of crazy high value baring some of the more obvious entries, so if you have any additional details on what's first edition, cards that came from other places (like Coco Coro magazines or vending machines), promos, etc that would be another thing I'd point out to any potential buyer. Lastly, I'd have any of your rarest and best condition cards graded by PSA. This will exponentially increase the value of your graded cards provided they score an 8 or above.

But, if I'm being completely honest, as it stands I probably would offer $50 too -- maybe even less. :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2021
    While I think it's super cute that your organized your collection by national dex, most places you'd be selling to would net a higher price if listed numerically and by the name of the set (Base, Jungle, Fossil, etc). So my first step if I were you would be to sort that out first and foremost. People want full and complete sets, not just Pokedexes made from any placeholder Pokemon of the same name, ya know? A Base Set Nidoking is very different from a Steam Siege Nidoking. Looking briefly at your collection, I'm not seeing anything of crazy high value baring some of the more obvious entries, so if you have any additional details on what's first edition, cards that came from other places (like Coco Coro magazines or vending machines), promos, etc that would be another thing I'd point out to any potential buyer. Lastly, I'd have any of your rarest and best condition cards graded by PSA. This will exponentially increase the value of your graded cards provided they score an 8 or above.

But, if I'm being completely honest, as it stands I probably would offer $50 too -- maybe even less. :(

Thank you for your honest feedback. I honestly thought it would be worth more, about double, maybe slightly more.
    I understand that there are many different cards for same pokemon but I thought it didn't matter for the same "generation" of the cards, if you understand what I mean. However.. I'm gonna think a little before doing the trade (pun intended). I'm guessing they won't go up more in value.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i think fairy covered all i would have to say about it, too. though honestly, i think it might be best to keep them as a lot - maybe even pull out the rarer ones to sell as singles if they're in a good enough condition, but i'm not seeing enough of one set in particular for you to really group them in that way. the bk cards could probably all go together, though. i would maybe sell them as their own lot and then the tcg ones as their own, too. i think a lot of people just see their old things (pokemon cards, beanie babies) and assume it's worth a lot bc i mean hey, i recall being told "oh that's gonna be worth a lot someday" and i doubt i'm the only one. but in the end, it comes down mostly to condition and rarity rather than said thing simply just existing, unless it happens to be that rare.

i'm rambling, sorry. lol best of luck, friend.

Back