• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon Trading Card Game: DX

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
A hack of: Pokemon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy

Ah, the original PTCG video game... so nostalgic, but it can be improved. So with the help of Junkyard guard and his lovely tool ( https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=417812 ), I decided to try and balance the original game while making it more fun.

Hack description

Just about EVERY single card in the game has been changed. Hit Points, number of attacks, abilities, power of attacks, attack effects- there are too many things I changed to completely summarize here. But in general, this is what has changed:

- Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon have been buffed so that they are now worth investment.
- The really good basic pokemon, such as Hitmonchan and Electabuzz, have been nerfed such that the Haymaker strategy isn't automatically the best one.
- Weaknesses and Resistances have been altered to help with balancing which types are good.
- Some multi-energy attackers have been added to the game, such as Kabutops and Dragonite.
- Less coin-flipping.
- The tutorial can be completed more quickly. (I'm going to take a guess you all can figure out how to play the game)
- Because everything got balanced, opponents are now harder, especially during the early game.
- Some attack descriptions had to be modified in order to be more generic, so that they look better on cards. EG: Recover, "Discard an energy attached to Kadabra..." becomes "Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon...", so Recover looks better on other pokemon.

Screenshots

Pokemon Trading Card Game DX2.png Pokemon Trading Card Game DX3.png Pokemon Trading Card Game DX5.png Pokemon Trading Card Game DX6.png Pokemon Trading Card Game DX7.png Pokemon Trading Card Game DX.png

Download
View attachment Pokemon Trading Card Game DX V1.05.ips

Extra

- I'd love to alter the promo cards and turn them into others cards (Six pikachu? Really, Gamefreak?), but I don't know how to change the types and evolution stages of cards. If anybody knows where that data is in hex, comment below and I'll add in Kingdra, Tangrowth, and other such evolutions in a heartbeat.

Ditto for anyone who knows how to alter Trainer Card effects. The game can never be truly balanced unless I can alter the Energy Removal cards, and replace them with maybe something like Electrode's Energy Spike attack. Comment below if you know where that is too!

Bugs
- Pretty sure I got all of them this time

Version history

1.00: Initial release
1.05: Squashed two minor bugs and put in some more balance changes, updated pictures to reflect the balance changes.

Credits
- Junkyard Guard and the Pokemon TCG editor tool
- HxD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
This looks very promising. I just downloaded it, trying it right now. I like that more cards can actually be useful.
Edit: Dragon Claw on Geodude, 4 energy 90 damage? Is that intended? Seems so random.

Last edited:

Ona

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
nice! could you maybe add something in the main screen of the game that indicates that the game has been patched correctly? (just with a DXthrown in there is more than fine haha!

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
This looks very promising. I just downloaded it, trying it right now. I like that more cards can actually be useful.
Edit: Dragon Claw on Geodude, 4 energy 90 damage? Is that intended? Seems so random.

Yeah that was a bug, Geodude was my experimental guinea pig for testing and I accidentally posted the wrong version of the game when I made the thread. The proper version is now up.

nice! could you maybe add something in the main screen of the game that indicates that the game has been patched correctly? (just with a DXthrown in there is more than fine haha!

I wish I could do that but I don't know how. (if anyone DOES know how, please reply.)

Last edited:

Prof_Oatfield

Prof. Oatfield
Years
Hi, Cataclyptic!

I just wanted to say that I've been playing this hack for a while now, and I have been enjoying it a lot!
I wanted to do my own thing, but decided that I should try out other hacks before, and I do not regret this decision.

I would probably do some things slightly differently, but, overall, the game feels very good to play. Some decks, like Seaking x4 and Seadra x4 feel a bit too strong, unless you're going against full Grass/Electric.

Regarding your cry for help with Trainers and Promos, I have worked with mainline games in assembly, so, with some effort, maybe I could help figure something out. For example, limiting Bill and such to 1 per turn, like in modern sets, would be a good start.

Days
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2023
IMG_2272.jpegI wandered if I could get some help regarding Pokémon cards. I don't understand how they work and I wandered if someone could help me out with what I've got. I've got pack of Pokémon cards and wandered how to tell if they are real or not. I don't think they are the cards for the official game. It are they still worth something. Please help a girl out? TYIA
IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2274.jpeg

Days
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
Would it be possible, to make dragonite and dragonair only require, fire lightning or water energies to use their attacks? And not grass, or fighting or psychic?

Currently grass is required for one of these

Currently it requires a grass energy for one of them or both. Unless this is a bug that you fixed.

Back