• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Physics of Pokemon (Second OU wifi RMT)

Years
  • Hey Everyone,
    This is my second team I've posted on Pokecommunity. While being similar to my initial team in some ways, I've tweaked and improved it a lot, rebuilding key parts where i felt that i was lacking a component. So, please let me know what you think.

Team Overview

Vapour
    Empoleon @Focus Sash
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
    * Hydro Pump
    * Aqua Jet
    * Stealth Rock
    * Grass Knot

Always an interesting way to start any battle off. With Empoleon being a Formidable, but infrequent lead, I've come across numerous teams that have been unable to deal with the steel penguin. After trying out numerous leads, i never really found one that i worked as well with as Empoleon. Having its excellent typing combination and a wide variety of moves available to it only helps it out against many counters, while still being able to bring other leads to their knees. Ultimately, Empoleon works well for this team as a lead, being quick enough to set up stealth rocks, while being bulky enough to withstand hits and deal substantial damage.

Coulomb
    Electivire @Expert Belt
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    * Thunder Punch
    * Ice Punch
    * Cross Chop
    * Earthquake

Just when you thought an electric attack would be the best way to counter Empoleon, BOOM, quick switch out and now you're looking into the face of a Motor Drive increased Electivire, Coulomb the Angry Yetti. After adopting Electivire as one of my favorite Pokemon, I decided to try him out with the team, and found a perfect partner for Empoleon! Running the Physical Attacker moveset, Electivire can deal substantial damage to Dragons, Normal stallers like Blissey or Snorlax and a wide variety of other threats.

Quanta
    Gallade @Life Orb
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    * Swords Dance
    * Close Combat
    * Ice Punch
    * Night Slash

Enter Gallade. I decided to use this BL pokemon in my OU team to give it more depth offensively. While being a really cool pokemon, one also never wants to be facing down a Gallade, whose formidable attack has just been boosted by a swords dance. Having another Anti Dragon, physical attacker has proven to be useful in many circumstances where Electivire has come and gone early on in the match.

Inertia
    Snorlax @Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
    * Curse
    * Body Slam
    * Outrage
    * Fire Punch

Now we get to the wall, Snorlax. Having thick fat, its able to switch into any ice type moves directed against my forthcoming Salamence. I chose to run Body Slam, because i couldn't pass up the chance of Paralyzing enemy pokemon. Outrage, while being an odd move for a snorlax set, helps counter dragons and other threats, while also being able to pack a huge hit when combined with the Curse bonus.

Luminous
    Starmie @Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
    * Rapid Spin
    * Surf
    * Thunderbolt
    * Recover

Starmie was a last minute decision for the team. While i already had set up where i wanted the team to go, and how i wanted it to work, i realized that i was missing some key points that Starmie added ever so nicely. In order to be able to switch in Salamence Stealth rock free, i needed a rapid spinner. So, when choosing between the few who could spin and still be depended upon offensively, i found myself choosing Starmie. Additionally, It only acts as more bait for my Motor Drive boost with Electivire. What's not to like?

Mach
    Salamence @Life Orb
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
    * Draco Meteor
    * Outrage
    * Flamethrower
    * Earthquake

Now for the closing act. Salamence, running the new Mixmence set is a great closing act. It fills in numerous holes that the team up until now have been lacking. Acting as my closing sweeper, many of its threats will have been nullified by the other pokemon, while it too is able to handle many threats itself. Additionally, it easy switches in for either Empoleon or Starmie in the face of a Grass foe, effectively dealing with it.​

In conclusion, my team is not perfect, by any means. However, i feel confident that Pokecommunity as a community can help me grow as a better battler. All and any Criticism is more than welcome!

thanks again!

Bobthebutler

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Natures on Empoleon, Electivire and Gallade are messed up. Lead penguin wants Modest while Electivire and Gallade both want Adamant.

Outrage on CurseLax is ew, you're better off with Rest or Earthquake. Though without Sandstorm or Toxic Spikes support he's not nearly as effective.

Heracross usually outclasses Gallade as a Swords Dancer, it has higher base speed and a better secondary STAB in Megahorn, better bulk, ect.

Nothing here can stop Dragon Dance Mence after a boost, Empoleon will most likely be weakened or KOd by the time it comes out and you have no other steels to absorb the hit, so that's two or your team members down every time it comes out. I'd seriously consider adding something like Specially defensive Skarmory or Forretress > Electivire, who is a pretty lackluster sweeper since it's not guaranteed a Motor Drive boost and plays too similar of a role to Gallade. Skarm or Forry can take a predicted Outrage or Draco Meteor from Mence and then proceed to set up more entry hazards (T-spikes are probably best in this case to aid CurseLax). They also help against Scarf Tyranitar which can Pursuit or Crunch pretty much everything on you team.

So Hera > Gallade and Sp Defensive Skarm or Forry > Electivire would be my advice. Good luck.

Back