• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[pokeemerald] Is it possible to change screen resolution?

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2021
    I want to use GSC tile sets and graphics but GBA has a different screen resolution. Is it possible to programmatically resize down to the GBC resolution? I was told the graphics won't look correct due to the difference in size

Thanks

Years
    • Seen today
    I want to use GSC tile sets and graphics but GBA has a different screen resolution. Is it possible to programmatically resize down to the GBC resolution? I was told the graphics won't look correct due to the difference in size

Thanks

I don't think there is an easy way to do this. You would probably have to rewrite all graphics code to only use up a smaller part of the screen.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2022
    The other potential option might be to upscale the GSC tileset, then scale it back down to the required size for the GBA games.
    Not a perfect solution and might need some tweaking...

Perhaps look at either ESRGAN and the many models released to mass/bulk scale up the tileset. Then run a script to scale back down again.
    Otherwise I think it was scalenx that produced rather clean results for upscaling (filter seen in retroarch) of pixelart. Using that as an upscaler, then nearest neighbour or bilinear filtering down again with a limited palette might be the way to go?

Years
    • Seen today
    The other potential option might be to upscale the GSC tileset, then scale it back down to the required size for the GBA games.
    Not a perfect solution and might need some tweaking...

Perhaps look at either ESRGAN and the many models released to mass/bulk scale up the tileset. Then run a script to scale back down again.
    Otherwise I think it was scalenx that produced rather clean results for upscaling (filter seen in retroarch) of pixelart. Using that as an upscaler, then nearest neighbour or bilinear filtering down again with a limited palette might be the way to go?

There's no need to scale anything. GBC tiles are already the same size as GBA tiles. GBA just has a larger screen resolution and displays more tiles at once.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2022
    Ah thank you for the correction. I was under the impression that the original post meant the tilesets were smaller and didnt look right on a bigger screen.

Back