• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Which Gen 3 game is the best for ROM hacking?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
*totally glossing over the fact that it took me half an hour to figure out how to post a thread here in the first place since this site isn't laid out logically in the slightest*

So, I'm planning on making a light ROM hack (Gen 3 ofc) as part of a school project, and I was wondering - which game is the best for ROM hacking? I already have a partially-done unreleased hack for Emerald, and I love using Emerald because I can add in ways to get the Aurora Ticket and Mystic Ticket to get Mew and Deoxys legit, and their events aren't coded into Ruby or Sapphire, but I don't know if those events are in FRLG.

On top of that, there's stuff like free space, intro editing, etc that are completely different across the five games. So, to re-iterate, which game is the best/most optimal for ROM hacking? I won't need a LOT of free space, since I'm mainly editing sprites and stats, but I will need enough to add Type: Null, Silvally, a few megas, and a couple extra tyes.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
If you google search a bit, you will find a lot of posts talking about this. But it seems to really just be a matter of opinion, and many differences that were once an issue are kind of no longer relevant.

As far as I know, free space isn't really an issue seeing as you can expand a ROM anyway.
And any events you would want to use, you could just add in a script for those too if they are not in the game already. I don't think it would be too hard to write your own event to display an overworld sprite then run a battle with that Pokémon when you activate it. You could really put a Deoxys anywhere you want like in your own new dungeon.

For me, the main differences are the larger, more complicated scripts and functions, like the contests or the fact that in Emerald, the battle sprites play an animation. Those are the difference that would be more difficult I think to replicate.
Also, it does seem a little bit like Emerald is less compatible with some older tools, or some newer ones too if they're not finished yet.
I would say from what I can see, there are now patches to make Emerald more reliable/stable, and easy functions in software to expand ROMs safely, so the difference about which is better is really just your own preference.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Thanks for the reply! Part of why I'm looking for other's opinions is mostly because all I've currently been able to do is edit stats (child's play, really) and maps (also kind of easy with the right tool - the difficulty is in your creativity) I'm clueless on script editing, and I haven't figured out how to get the tools I have to add a sprite, which is why I mentioned the Mew and Deoxys battles.

the other reason I was looking for others opinions is that I'm obviously a total noob at thisLOL

BTW I couldn't find any other threads about the question, which is why I made my own.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
script editing

Hi again, the software I have been using for script editing is called XSE. I believe it is the most commonly used.
I cannot post links yet on this account :(
But, in the "Tools, Tutorials & Resources" subforum of this ROM Hacking forum, there is a thread called: "diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial"
It has been great in helping me start to understand how the scripts work, and how to easily change them or make new ones. I would say at first it can seem like a lot to take in, but after reading it again a couple of times, and taking breaks in between to experiment, you start to get a feel for the process. Really the best thing is to just keep practicing it until you get the hang of it.

I haven't figured out how to get the tools I have to add a sprite

From my understanding, it would depend how you want to go about it. If you made a new map for the event to take place on, you would first create that map and insert it into the ROM. Then on that map, create a new event, (using advancemap) using the overworld sprite of the pokémon you want to use - as the displayed sprite of the event. Then using a script editor, make this event start a battle with that pokémon when you activate it. I hope that makes sense?
Now, if the sprite you want to use is not in the game, or you want to make a new one, you would have to create it yourself and add it into the ROM. There are a lot of sprite editors I have seen, I have been using one called Nameless Sprite Editor to add in new sprites and palettes.
Essentially, you would need to look for a tutorial, or use trial and error, to learn how to insert new sprite and palette data into the game.

other threads about the question

There are a lot of threads about this concept, but many of them are very outdated now, so maybe not so useful.

Keep in mind though, I am inexperienced, and learning some of these things at the moment, this is just my best attempt to point you in the right directions.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I've been using NSE for a while but I couldn't figure out how to add a sprite with it. Everything I tried failed miserably :/

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
I've been using NSE for a while but I couldn't figure out how to add a sprite with it. Everything I tried failed miserably :/

The way I have done it is like this:
I have the sprite I want to add, opened in NSE. With my ROM loaded also.
I then go to File -> Insert -> Image data
This will bring up a dialog box for you to type in the offset where you wish to save the sprite in the ROM.
The option to add a palette for the sprite is in the same group of options too.
Now that sprite will be waiting at the offset you selected, ready for you to point to it to be displayed, I think.
So far I have only tested this with basic things though, like changing Trainer sprites.

This thread has more tutorial on NSE:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=227216
I have not read this though myself.

Last edited:
Back