• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokemon Glamour: A Pokemon Fangame set in a Korean Inspired Region

Neppit

Magical Girl Enthusiast
Years
  • Debating whether or not I want to take some of my half baked ideas and make them into a fully fleshed out game. It's looking likely that I will, but I'd like to get some sort of reception as to how these concepts are received before I go too crazy. This game is mainly inspired by my desire for an interesting new take on the main series Pokemon games, without losing some core aspects of the series such as discovery, bonding with Pokemon, and simple fun. Pokemon Glamour is a game set in the Korean inspired region of Byeol, complete with highly populated urban centers, rustic countrysides, harsh mountains, and a brutal rainy season. The game's narrative takes heavy influence from the nation's entertainment and esports industries with a minor meta narrative.

Story Concepts: In Byeol, Pokemon Battling is considered the national pastime. The people pride themselves on having the best Pokemon Trainers on the planet, with ruthless competition for the title of the best. Beyond just their strength, the best Pokemon Trainers are also national celebrities. Constantly making appearances on reality shows, advertising different beauty products, following music careers and often being surrounded by adoring fans. To fuel this culture, nine of the largest corporations in Byeol choose to hand select the best and most marketable trainers to sponsor. These trainers are the most famous people in Byeol, and also some of the richest. All they need to do is just advertise their sponsors in every battle, and have a good television persona. To become the best in Byeol, you not only need the skill in battle, but also the good looks to make a perfect poster boy. Similarly to the professionals, Pokemon in Byeol are separated into distinct classes. The richest trainers in Byeol specially breed Pokemon for success, often going through hundreds of rejects before they achieve the perfect teams. On the other hand, wild Pokemon are often looked down upon as some sort of lesser creatures.

Your character begins their country as a simple kid growing up in one of few farming towns in Byeol, with a dream of becoming the best Pokemon trainer in Byeol. The game follows your adventure as you rise the social totem pole and rub elbows with some of the less than savory individuals who perpetuate Byeol's dog eat dog entertainment industry. As the world desperately tries to prove you and your beloved Pokemon inferior, can you prove bond between you and your friends can conquer all?

Gameplay Concepts: The game's changes are going to comparatively small compared to most fangames at the moment. The game will likely be made in Pokemon Essentials, and contain mechanics such as Mega Evolution, Simplifed HMs, a very open ended approach, and some Pokemon from all 8 current generations. As for more unique things, I'm thinking of including some optional story events that can change some dialogue later in the game's story. Most of these are going to be centered around bonding with various NPCs, similar to a support in a Fire Emblem game. My biggest goal from a gameplay perspective is to reimplement a lot of the exploration and discovery of the region that seems to be lost in more recent titles. The plan is for you to be able to do the "Gyms" in any order, with the Pokemon's level scaling depending on when you are doing them. Also, once you arrive in the main hub city, you will be likely be able to go in any of 4-5 directions and won't have all that much direction. Also Character Customization. It's Korea, so of course fashion is going to be all over the place.

Either way, that's the general gist of my idea. If you have any sort of feedback or just like it, please post here to let me know. Dunno if I'm gonna be really going through with this, considering my comparative lack of experience with this sort of thing.

Last edited:
    Back