• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] New to PC

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Hiya, my name's Sniwott (pronounced Sny-wott) or you can call me Jeff. I've browsed this website a couple times in the past and was curious enough to have finally made an account! Hope that I'm doing this thread right haha. I've been a fan of the franchise for nearly my entire life, and I just love it as a whole. If you want to know any Pokemon fun facts regarding me, feel free to ask!

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Hello there Sniwott, and welcome to the PC!

Glad to 'hear' (read technically) that you decided to join us.

I think a good first question to ask would be... Do you have a favorite Pokemon game? If you do, what about it makes it your favorite?

Years
  • Hiya, my name's Sniwott (pronounced Sny-wott) or you can call me Jeff. I've browsed this website a couple times in the past and was curious enough to have finally made an account! Hope that I'm doing this thread right haha. I've been a fan of the franchise for nearly my entire life, and I just love it as a whole. If you want to know any Pokemon fun facts regarding me, feel free to ask!

Hello, Sniwott, and welcome to the forums!
    It is great to see more new members who have been into Pokémon for a long time!
    What are your highlights in your Pokémon experience ?

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Hello, Sniwott, and welcome to the forums!
    It is great to see more new members who have been into Pokémon for a long time!
    What are your highlights in your Pokémon experience ?

Hey, nice to meet you! I'd have to say that some of my highlights include completing my first ever Professor Oak's Challenge in Omega Ruby, getting my first ever shiny randomly in White 2, and actually becoming a shiny hunter since when Sword came out and I wanted to give it a shot! I am proud to say I have more than 100 unique shiny Pokémon in my shiny dex so far!

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Hello there Sniwott, and welcome to the PC!

Glad to 'hear' (read technically) that you decided to join us.

I think a good first question to ask would be... Do you have a favorite Pokemon game? If you do, what about it makes it your favorite?

Hi, glad to be here! Hope to be an active member, but knowing me, it might take a little extra effort for me to not be so nervous haha. Anyhow, I do have a favorite Pokemon game indeed, and it also happens to be my favorite game of all time; Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team! It means a lot to me as a person, both thanks to the values the game teaches you as well as it being an important part of me discovering I was transgender, even if I didn't know the terminology at the time. It also has beautiful sprites, music, and solid, addicting gameplay all around! I can't even count how many times I've beaten the game with all the combinations you could have for your character and the partner hah.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Well there's plenty of really friendly people on here, so hopefully you'll be able to find your rhythm and calm those nerves a bit.
    Those sound like some really good reasons for loving a game! I've only ever played a bit of one Mystery Dungeon game before,
    I just couldn't get the hang of the combat in it, but the story that I did get the chance to see was really good!

Do you have a favorite Pokemon Type?

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Well there's plenty of really friendly people on here, so hopefully you'll be able to find your rhythm and calm those nerves a bit.
    Those sound like some really good reasons for loving a game! I've only ever played a bit of one Mystery Dungeon game before,
    I just couldn't get the hang of the combat in it, but the story that I did get the chance to see was really good!

Do you have a favorite Pokemon Type?

Hopefully so! Mystery Dungeon combat can be tricky to get at first, but with some time, practice, and strategy, it's really rewarding to play as long as you don't make a misinput or something like that. Glad to hear that you liked the story so far for whichever Mystery Dungeon it was you played! And yes, I do have a favorite type, that being dragon. Always been a fan of dragons in media and just the concept of them, and I'm glad TPC did an excellent job with all of the dragon type Pokemon's designs, even the weirder ones like alolan Exeggutor and Drampa!

Years
  • Ah yes... Dragons... they make most delicious meals! :fufu:

Spoiler:

😜

Seriously though, I like Dragons too, they're my second favorite type! =D

Anyway, hello and welcome!

What shiny that you've hunted would you consider you're proudest possession? Like; if you wanted to brag about any one of your shinies, which would you pick?
    What was the first shiny you hunted? =D

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • ReKoil; said:
    What shiny that you've hunted would you consider you're proudest possession? Like; if you wanted to brag about any one of your shinies, which would you pick?

And to add to that, which shiny was the hardest one you've hunted?

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Ah yes... Dragons... they make most delicious meals! :fufu:

Spoiler:

😜

Seriously though, I like Dragons too, they're my second favorite type! =D

Anyway, hello and welcome!

Haha, love to see another dragon type lover! Hi, and thanks for the welcome, I'd glad to be here!
    Out of all the shinies I've hunted, the one I'm the most proud of is definitely my shiny Obstagoon! It was my 4th ever hunt, in Sword of course, and it was also the one I put the most effort into, even being a competitive shiny! I caught a Zigzagoon in a love ball then bred that with my story Rillboom to get Knock Off, then bred that for to get the highest ivs possible with the right nature, then focused on hatching for the shiny. All in all, it only took 93 eggs iirc, which is one of my faster hunts overall. It was even the second shiny I got that day, after I finished getting Nickit in the wild, which took about 70 encounters I wanna say? The icing on the cake is that I have used it online, and it's done an excellent job in most battles that I brought it to. I just love how brightly colored it is, and the colors themselves are pretty similar to the trans flag colors, so that was an extra bonus! One of the hunts I wanted to do when I started all those years ago. :)
    Finally, the first shiny I ever hunted for was Rookidee, which took about 520 encounters, and I even got it the same day I got the shiny charm for the first time in any Pokemon game!

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    And to add to that, which shiny was the hardest one you've hunted?

Hm, well I have insane luck when it comes shiny hunting for some reason, though I've had a few that went over 1k encounters/eggs, but surprisingly none that's gone over 2k. In that regard, the shiny that was the hardest for me was definitely Dratini in Sword, as it took me 1773 egg hatches to get. I haven't really done any of the more annoying hunts like soft resets, though I eventually will do lots of them one day, and I haven't tried to hunt anything in the older games where the odds are lower. Well, except Remoraid in Gold, but hatching eggs is just unbearable in those games lol, even with the 1/64 odds.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Funny you should mention Dratini. I was out shiny hunting various Dragon Type Pokemon in Violet, and caught two in one day!
    The hardest shiny I've ever hunted was an Eevee in Shield, Even with a Masuda method Ditto, it still took me over 1,500 eggs! And that's not even counting
    all the ones I KO'd trying to find one via the encounter method. The only time I've done a soft reset for a shiny was the Celebi in Crystal when it was released
    on the 3DS. I nicknamed my pink Celebi Bubblegum!

Oh! Another good question! Do you ever nickname your Pokemon?

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    Funny you should mention Dratini. I was out shiny hunting various Dragon Type Pokemon in Violet, and caught two in one day!
    The hardest shiny I've ever hunted was an Eevee in Shield, Even with a Masuda method Ditto, it still took me over 1,500 eggs! And that's not even counting
    all the ones I KO'd trying to find one via the encounter method. The only time I've done a soft reset for a shiny was the Celebi in Crystal when it was released
    on the 3DS. I nicknamed my pink Celebi Bubblegum!

Oh! Another good question! Do you ever nickname your Pokemon?

Nice nice! Hunting in Scarlet/Violet is a ton of fun, though they really should add back the shiny sparkles and sound effect in the overworld like Legends Arceus... 1500ish eggs for a shiny ain't bad, especially with the Masuda method. I couldn't imagine hunting Eevee in Sword/Shield via encounters, seems like it'd be just as annoying if not more than Blipbug encounters. That's why I bred for a shiny Eevee long ago in Sword. :P
    You have a shiny Celebi??? Awesome, I hope I'll get that shiny whenever I start doing soft reset hunts! Still need Crystal on 3DSVC before the eshop closes though...
    For the most part, I don't nickname my Pokemon, especially if I'm doing a first playthrough of a new gen or something. I do nickname all my shinies though, and during repeat playthroughs I may or may not nickname my team members, matters on my mood I suppose!

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Nice nice! Hunting in Scarlet/Violet is a ton of fun, though they really should add back the shiny sparkles and sound effect in the overworld like Legends Arceus...

I agree with this so much. As for the eggs, I legit thought my game was bugged, it took SO long. I then proceeded to hatch a shiny Honedge
    in just 8 eggs... *screaming noises* Yep! One of my proudest catches! It didn't take as long to show up as I was expcting it to either.
    You really should get it if you can, the game was soooo much better than I was expecting it to be. Easily my second favorite main series game.
    Fun fact, the only Pokemon I've never given a nickname to was my Chikorita/Meganium in my very first playthrough of Heart Gold.

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    I agree with this so much. As for the eggs, I legit thought my game was bugged, it took SO long. I then proceeded to hatch a shiny Honedge
    in just 8 eggs... *screaming noises* Yep! One of my proudest catches! It didn't take as long to show up as I was expcting it to either.
    You really should get it if you can, the game was soooo much better than I was expecting it to be. Easily my second favorite main series game.
    Fun fact, the only Pokemon I've never given a nickname to was my Chikorita/Meganium in my very first playthrough of Heart Gold.

Wow, 8 eggs for a shiny is insane! The fastest hunt I ever had was a Dusknoir after just 10 resets in Sword, which I'm very thankful for!
    I definitely plan to, just need to connect my switch and 3DS accounts so I can put money into the eshop to buy it before March! I do have Blue, Yellow, and Gold at the very least.
    Heh, that is a fun fact! Bit odd that you left the starter unnamed out of all the Pokemon, but oh well.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • It was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
    If you don't manage to get around to that right away, you can always just buy one of those Nintendo gift cards.
    Never played Gold, so I don't really know how it compares to Crystal. I know you can't get Celebi in it though, last I remember.
    I just really liked the name/s it had. I only started nicknaming Pokemon cause I thought some of the default names were weird/silly. I nickname everything
    now though.

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    It was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
    If you don't manage to get around to that right away, you can always just buy one of those Nintendo gift cards.
    Never played Gold, so I don't really know how it compares to Crystal. I know you can't get Celebi in it though, last I remember.
    I just really liked the name/s it had. I only started nicknaming Pokemon cause I thought some of the default names were weird/silly. I nickname everything
    now though.

Surprises in Pokemon are always the best for sure! I was thinking about that, but I just think it'd be easier for me to just connect my accounts, no biggie. Gold and and Crystal are pretty different, other than Celebi, there's a new plotline with Suicune and Eusine and the battle tower in Crystal. Of course there are different Pokemon you can find as well, and Crystal was the start of getting boosted friendship if you level a mon up in the area you got it in, and if you enter a new area the game will tell you. Some trainer placements are changed too, otherwise the games are basically the same.
    Ohh I see, that's fair enough, some names are just funny like Garganacl haha.

Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    I never knew that was a thing in Pokemon at all! Huh, TIL.
    I always miss-read Garganacl's name and just make a bunch of funny mouth sounds instead lol.

I didn't know that either, until one day on the Jrose11 stream as something to help Crystal minimum battles and for when he did a bunch of mono-normal nuzlocke attempts. Very interesting factoid indeed!
    Most people from what I've seen do that too lol

Back