• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon with Del

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    To some degree, this is copy-pasted directly from my blog.

First, a few things. This is my first Let's Play posted to this forum. I am still learning Japanese, so there may be some errors in any translation I do, or attempting to explain plot elements. There are people out there who's language skills are much better than mine. If that's you, and you notice mistakes, PLEASE correct me. I will not be offended!

Secondly, if you want to avoid spoilers for this game, sorry to say this thread is not for you.

If you are excited, then read on! (And if you're not excited, but want to read on anyway... then read on anyway.)

Disclaimer: I OWN NOTHING!!

I just take photos on my phone and post my experiences with the game! So I'm sorry for any that are of poor quality. Believe me, if I had a capture card and the ability to post better images, I'd be doing a video Let's Play.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon came out in Japan today (or yesterday, from the time I'm posting this here) I've been more exited for this than I was Dragon Quest 8, so I couldn't wait for my copy to download.

I did take some photos of the introduction, but they didn't come out very well. Basically, it uses the camera and asks you if you want to go into the Pokemon world. (So… unless you wanted a nice clean shot of my slippers, I tried to get it as dark as possible but it blurred.)

The character interviews are back! After this session is over, the little glowing blob - which I assume is me - is sucked into the Pokemon world and both myself and my partner are assigned randomly.

I got Treecko… you have the option to decline. I declined. Treecko cried and made me feel bad… but Treecko is a little too masculine (and I had one in Omega Ruby) so I decided to pick a cute little Chespin.

My partner ended up being Riolu. I was cool with that.

So… not knowing I am now a Pokemon, a nice clear shot of a waterfall looms before me and gasping for a drink I rush over to the waterfall. Once revived, I seem to notice for the first time the cute round face of a Chespin staring back at me.

tumblr_inline_nus9kypEPa1tall7n_540.jpg

Yup… I'm now a Pokemon. Oh goodie! This is quite a shock and while I try to take it all in, this strange noise reaches my now rather sensitive ears.

A flock of Beeheeyem appear and stop before me. Unfortunately… they're not very welcoming… and I find myself under attack.

tumblr_inline_nus9piO17P1tall7n_540.jpg

It's only common sense to flee when you've suddenly undergone a dramatic transformation and have no clue where you are… or what those things want either. So… racing as fast as my little Pokemon legs can carry me, I end up running into a rather perplexed Nuzleaf.

tumblr_inline_nus9r0q0Wd1tall7n_540.jpg

There's not much time to explain. Those Beeheeyem jump on the both of us, and even this more experienced Pokemon finds himself overwhelmed. So he grabs my paw and drags me down an ominous little path that he explains is a Mystery Dungeon.

What's a Mystery Dungeon you ask? Well, for those not too familiar with the idea, this little scenario is a rather clever way to introduce you to them. This Nuzleaf now guides me through a tutorial.

tumblr_inline_nus9sjRqjU1tall7n_540.jpg

For the first floor, he takes the lead and introduces the basics of battling. The main point to bare in mind is that the only way out is through the stairs. And there are more than one flight.

After the first stairs are taken, he claims he's rather worn out from battling and asks me to take over. Scattered items on the ground are also explained. You can pick up dropped items and use them, and take them with you when you leave a dungeon.

Once we are out, Nuzleaf's attitude towards me changes.

tumblr_inline_nus9w8XnEB1tall7n_540.jpg

He wants to know why those Beeheeyem were chasing me, and asks me, rather crossly, if I'd done something to upset them, basically because I'm a child, and children tend to be naughty.

I explain no, that's not the case, and I'm not even a Pokemon! I'm a human! He's not entirely sure how to take this, but his attitude softens again and before we know it, those Beeheeyem have tracked us down.

Quick! Into another Mystery Dungeon!

The next one is rather similar, explaining more about advance techniques - tricking the Pokemon to come closer to you by firing your basic, weak attack at an empty spot.

Once out, we are both exhausted.

tumblr_inline_nus9zoHh411tall7n_540.jpg

There seems to be no sign of the Beeheeyem. Nuzleaf thinks we've lost them.

We are now closer to his home. He explains, as surprising as it is, he believes me when I say I'm a human and wishes me luck in getting back to my own world. He then goes off to the next village where he lives.

But… when he looks back, he sees my sad face. Poor lost human-turned-Pokemon with nowhere to go…

He rushes back telling me to not look like that! Concerned for my wellbeing, he invites me back to the village.

I'm welcome to stay with him for the time being.

tumblr_inline_nusa4smzdG1tall7n_540.jpg

The house is quite large inside and he sets a spot aside for me. He explains he has to get to the school and I am not allowed to leave the village alone.

No sooner has he left, I decide to have a look around the town, but I barely take one step when this strange noise comes from by the window. As I draw closer to it, a shadow appears and looks in at me. I panic. Is it the Beeheeyem?!

tumblr_inline_nusa8hBwGB1tall7n_540.jpg

I go outside to have a look, but there's nothing there. No noise. Nothing.

But… while my back is turned… a Pokemon leaps out from nowhere and surprises me!

tumblr_inline_nusa8uxFek1tall7n_540.jpg

He seems very surprised that Nuzleaf is living with another Pokemon. He is also rather… hyperactive. He can't wait to show this new face around the town and drags me after him, talking at a million words a minute until we arrive at the town plaza.

Here he tries to explain the shops, but he's only explained the storage box and Kecleon shop before a host of Pokemon arrive looking for him. It turns out this Riolu - Gil - has a bit of a reputation when it comes to team work.

From what I could gather, he goes to dungeons to loot and leaves the group he is with behind.

He's also not a very honest farmer… a grumpy Carracosta confronts him about eating the oran berries he's supposed to be looking after. He argues back saying he didn't eat them… but claims they were delicious.

tumblr_inline_nusa9m3BJi1tall7n_540.jpg

He is soon chased out of the plaza by many more angry Pokemon, leaving me behind…

Oh well. I decide to have a look around anyway. And then these two catch my eye.

tumblr_inline_nusaftLrqi1tall7n_540.jpg

Hmm… something is going on. A little Pokemon called Goomy is in trouble, it seems. I decide to follow them, despite being on my lonesome.

The Deerling stops outside a dungeon, arguing with the Shelmet and Yancham. The Goomy has gone into the dungeon to find a large sheet of paper for Yancham. Apparently the Goomy wants to prove his bravery… but the dungeon is dangerous, and he's gone in alone.

tumblr_inline_nusaiuRwMD1tall7n_540.jpg

I decide to offer to go in and help him, since the two Pokemon won't let the Deerling inside. She's surprised and concerned that I want to go in, and the other two are equally surprised. But they don't stop me. The Deerling wishes me well, and off I go.

It certainly is a tougher dungeon. The Stantler I first run into almost one-shots me… I am also prompted to use an orb when I wake up two Furfrou. It paralyses them in place and I can run past without touching them.

The dungeon is four floors I believe. I can't remember. But anyway, during the process I level up once and finally find the Goomy sobbing in a clearing.

tumblr_inline_nusampcR2S1tall7n_540.jpg

The poor thing is terrified, and jumps out of his skin when he sees me. So that's the paper Yancham wants. And it's riddled with paw prints that I can read, but it's nonsense.

I explain to the Goomy I'm here to help him, and he's delighted. I bring him back out, and the three Pokemon waiting for me are incredibly surprised, and the Deerling is immensely relieved that Goomy is okay.

tumblr_inline_nusapjR0bN1tall7n_540.jpg

Yancham is happy enough with the paper. It seems Goomy was meant to write his name on it, but all that came out was a jittery scrawl. They poke fun at him for this, claiming it's written by a Pokemon who is shaking with fear. They then run off, leaving us with the Deerling.

She thanks me then realises she doens't know my name. We head back to town… and Nuzleaf is not impressed I went against his instructions at all.

tumblr_inline_nusart1YkL1tall7n_540.jpg

Nevertheless, this whole endeavour has proven to him I am more grown up than he thinks, and I'm capable of going on adventures. He calms down as he realises this and takes it on board. He tells me to get some sleep to be rested up for tomorrow.

For this and more game playthroughs, visit my blog at MadBritGamer

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    After a good night's sleep, I wake up refreshed and ready. Nuzleaf - who I can't work out if he's a teacher or a student himself - takes me to school.

tumblr_inline_nuvipiPuI31tall7n_400.jpg

The first Pokemon I meet here are the headteacher Simipour and the deputy headteacher Watchog. After Nuzleaf leaves me in their care, Watchog seems to be worried that I might be a troublecauser, and he doesn't want another troublecauser at the school. Simipour seems to rebuke him for this and after, I am sent along to class.

tumblr_inline_nuvirsE4RP1tall7n_400.jpg

Our teacher is a Farfetch'd, who stands aside and lets Simipour introduce me to everyone. It's a warm welcome, although Yancham and Shelmet seem surprised to see me there. As does Deerling. However, my little introduction goes a little wrong…

tumblr_inline_nuviurGSgI1tall7n_400.jpg

… as Gil is running late and crashes hard into me, knocking me out cold!

tumblr_inline_nuviwn2Yo41tall7n_400.jpg

Urgh… where am I…?

tumblr_inline_nuvixoKy641tall7n_400.jpg

Oh! I'm in the care of an Audino! A room for sick and injured Pokemon. She seems happy enough with my progress and thinks I'm ready to go back and join the class.

tumblr_inline_nuvixymFY71tall7n_400.jpg

When I rejoin them, they're counting Mareep. Which is making them doze off…

The class is interrupted temporarily while Farfetch'd seats me next to Gil, then commands the class to get back to counting Mareep.

It seems a little strange to send your students to sleep if you ask me… maybe it's endurance training?

tumblr_inline_nuvizkhmOY1tall7n_400.jpg

When class is over, Gil is more than keen to talk to me. As are a couple of other students, namely Deerling and Goomy. They want to thank me for my help the day before, which Gil is very surprised to hear about.

Everyone seems quite happy and excited about my rescue mission, which is a little overwhelming.

tumblr_inline_nuvj1yRhJf1tall7n_400.jpg

Except these two, who are not impressed at all, and want to do something about it…

tumblr_inline_nuvj3y9UQu1tall7n_400.jpg

Gil wants to walk back home with me, so we go back together. He's quite a talkative Riolu and is upset that his job of guiding me around the town was interrupted. He asks if I need more guiding but I don't. He's upset by that, but comes up with an idea to show me somewhere I've not seen yet. A little secret place he's very excited about.

I take him up on the offer and we rush off together.

tumblr_inline_nuvj4snPlN1tall7n_400.jpg

Right past these two, who are rather annoyed that we've gone straight past them.

tumblr_inline_nuvj6z1AM51tall7n_400.jpg

We go back and decide to hear them out.

They want me to go on a quest into a dungeon and help them to retrieve something, but they aren't strong enough. They say I have guts, and proved it by rescuing Goomy. Gil is very keen for this but their plans don't include Gil. This seems to go over his head and he tags along with us anyway.

tumblr_inline_nuvj8sMozP1tall7n_400.jpg

They take us to Drilbur Mines. Their mission is for me to go in there, work our way to the back of the mines and retrieve a red stone.

tumblr_inline_nuvje55MDH1tall7n_400.jpg

Once I am deep enough inside, the mine forks off into two. There is a storage box there too. The right path is the usual one to take, whereas the left path is out of bounds, but that's the way I'm meant to go to find the red stone.

tumblr_inline_nuvjhc7Lrp1tall7n_400.jpg

tumblr_inline_nuvjhnJHQZ1tall7n_400.jpg

Gil gets incredibly excited, but Shelmet and Yancham tell him this mission is for me, not them, and he's not to go with me. He finally hears them and gets upset about this. Shelmet pulls Yancham aside and points out that if Gil goes too, it get's rid of the both of us (of course I don't hear any of this…) It's then decided to let Gil go with me.

So… Gil, happy once more, follows me to the mines.

The Drilbur aren't too happy with children exploring the mines. They also seem quite nervous generally, to be honest, as they often say 'dokidoki' after their sentences. But after Gil convinces them, they let us go inside.

tumblr_inline_nuvjmx49fh1tall7n_400.jpg

It's fire and ground types galore in this place, which isn't great for a grass type! I have to keep relying on Gil and ranged attacks to deal with them, as they deal hefty damage to me with fire. But after I level up a couple of levels and learn rollout, it becomes a lot easier.

At one point, Gil went down and had to use a Reviver Seed. This was the only instance, and we fared quite well, chowing down on Oran Berries - and Rawst Berries as those fire types are hot to the touch - as well as apples.

Eventually we reached that forked path!

tumblr_inline_nuvjtnzM631tall7n_400.jpg

The Drilbur standing guard there was adamant we weren't going into the banned tunnel. Gil says something along the lines of 'okay thank you!' and heads that way anyway. The Drilbur, momentarily flushed at being happy to have helped, realises what we are doing and calls us back.

Gil tells the Drilbur to look into his eyes. We are not going into the mines to cause trouble. This convinces the Drilbur and he gives us clearance to go that way, allowing us through the banned tunnel.

A few more floors later, and we are surrounded by pitch darkness. Then, there's this strange growling noise.

Gil thinks it's my stomach, but the source of the growling says it's not a stomach, it's his growl. Gil is very entertained by this, telling me it's a talent for my stomach to actually talk! The hidden Pokemon however is not amused by Gil's comments. It is not his friend's stomach, it is a Gabite, and it's his room we have found ourselves in.

And he is NOT happy.

tumblr_inline_nuvjqpOPCP1tall7n_400.jpg

He accuses us of being robbers wanting to steal his treasure. Gil assures them that is not the case, we are not there for treasure, we are there for a red stone.

The Gabite is even more furious at this. The red stone is his precious treasure and he won't tolerate robbers coming into his side of the mine.

He calls for back-up, and three Drilbur join him.

tumblr_inline_nuvkfustQe1tall7n_400.jpg

They don't want any part in this battle though. They apologise and go away, leaving the Gabite to fight us alone.

His attacks hit hard, and we do need to use Oran Berries to heal ourselves up occasionally. Whenever he vanishes into the ground, I take a step away to avoid being hit and strike back with my vine whip. My rollout has a habit of missing in this battle…

He eventually backs down.

tumblr_inline_nuvkhuFutl1tall7n_400.jpg

The Drilbur return as Gil explains what we are doing there. Gabite is still convinced we are here to steal his treasure, but Gil assures him we are not robbers looking for treasure, and if the red stone is his treasure we won't take it.

The Drilbur who had been stood on guard tells Gabite that when he'd looked into Gil's eyes, he could tell he wasn't lying. Gil is telling Gabite the truth.
    This is enough to convince Gabite. He asks us if we want to see his treasure room at the back of the mine. Excited, we follow Gabite into the back and are greeted by a room filled with colourful, shiny stones and jewels.

Gil can't believe what's before him. He is happy enough to have come into the mine to see this collection of treasure, and he doesn't care if we leave empty handed. This is reward enough.

tumblr_inline_nuvkli9j5o1tall7n_400.jpg

We leave the mine and run back to town, racing straight past Yancham and Shelmet. They can't believe we're back.

tumblr_inline_nuvkro3VMr1tall7n_400.jpg

When they ask us if we got the red stone, Gil apologises and says we didn't take it. It was part of Gabite's treasure and important to him. They're really surprised by this, and Gil runs off leading me to the spot he wants to show me.

tumblr_inline_nuvkt08ny01tall7n_400.jpg

His favourite place is beside a large tree on top of a high hill. It overlooks the little town, giving us a fantastic view.

tumblr_inline_nuvkvcXGPg1tall7n_400.jpg

We sit together, admiring the view, and Gil tells me about how he admires the clouds. The clouds are big and travel across the sky, seeing many different places and Pokemon, and observing many different adventures.

His dream is to join an Exploration Team and go on adventures, but children aren't allowed to travel. But despite that, he's not going to give up on his dream.

I do listen, but I'm tired, and while Gil is repeating over and over that he won't give up, I fall asleep.

tumblr_inline_nuvkxwiti91tall7n_400.jpg

He seems a little amused at this and tries to wake me up so I'll cheer him on.

I grunt and he seems happy enough with that response, and he calls out from the hill that he'll keep doing his best.

tumblr_inline_nuvkzaPYMr1tall7n_400.jpg

After this, I go back home, and find myself wondering why I've become a Pokemon and come to this world. What's the reason for it?

tumblr_inline_nuvl0qZXei1tall7n_400.jpg

I don't see this Pokemon streaking through the sky… but maybe he knows?

tumblr_inline_nuvl1hX0LO1tall7n_400.jpg

Maybe we'll find out soon?

Back