• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions about Red

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2018
    Hi,
    after reading the manga adventures of red, Pokemon origins, etc. I have almost finished research for a project I'm working on. I have a few clarifying questions that I'd like answered, however:
    1: Please provide anything that you feel is special or significant in meaning to red, ex his pikachu or something else.
    2: Was Red's favorite Pokemon type ever stated?
    3: Anything else!

I will probably link you to my project when substantial work is done, but until then I'm keeping it on the low so that my idea isn't stolen.
    Thanks!

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Two things that stuck with me from the FRLG/Emerald chapters is that 1) Red never really had a family, and 2) his connection to Deoxys. IIRC (it's been a while), this connection to Deoxys was important to Red because of his lack of live family, finally feeling that he, too, had someone (or something) he had a connection to. It's what I found very interesting about him, because I didn't expect a heroic character like him to feel lonely like that.

Please correct me if anything about this is wrong; it's been ages since I read Pokémon Adventures.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I hope you're not mixing up game canon, Origins canon, and Adventures canon, because they're all very much separate entities.

Anyways, answering these based off of game canon (since that's what I mostly know):

1: Please provide anything that you feel is special or significant in meaning to red, ex his pikachu or something else.

Having Red at the end of GSC was a neat touch. Being able to battle Gen 1's protagonist at the end of the game really enhanced the sequel feeling of GSC and made it feel like you were continuing from where RBY left off.

The existence of Yellow Version also meant that you could easily give him a canon team that was 100% neutral and could represent all players and all games. Have him start with Pikachu and get all three starters later on, and no starter gets left out or favored over another.

I also liked how they gave him Espeon for similar reasons, giving him an Eeveelution that didn't exist in Gen 1 to avoid playing favorites with the original three. I only wished Blue also had Umbreon to nod to his Yellow starter, as well as his anime counterpart.

I don't like Red in HGSS nearly as much as in GSC. I hated Espeon getting swapped out for Lapras, and his team loses a lot of its meaning since FRLG never adapted anything from Yellow. Of course, there's also the elephant in the room that is FRLG's female player character being ignored and erased, which isn't cool either. While GSC Red was inclusive of all RBY players, HGSS Red deliberately excluded half of FRLG players.

I wished HGSS used Dual Slot Mode for the Mt. Silver battle and had whatever team and character be yours from FRLG. GSC Red would be used as a default option for those who didn't have a completed FRLG cart or were playing HGSS on a handheld without a GBA slot. Default Red would have his team from GSC (ie. Espeon instead of Lapras) and would even be wearing his original clothes to signify him as being separate from his remake counterpart.

2: Was Red's favorite Pokemon type ever stated?

Seeing as his team is multitype, I doubt he has one. If he did, it's probably Electric, since that's the type of his starter, Pikachu.

Back