• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I've had dreams of making a ROM hack for over 7 years. Now, I want to make that a reality.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Firstly...hey, thanks for clicking onto my thread! ^_^

My name's Controversial?, although some people on this forum know me also as MKFC, Price. or Priceless.
    I'm a pianist and film composer, I'm a BA music graduate as of July 2017, and I'm often travelling around the UK for shows. I've been on this forum for a little over 7 years, I'm an experienced mapper, and, as the thread title suggests, I've always had dreams of making a full-fledged Pokemon hack.

I've previously worked on other Pokemon projects by myself; my most recent being a map of a region based on the Netherlands, complete with canals connecting major cities (examples of these maps can be found here); however, due to me being unable to invest in the projects, and the fact that I wasn't able to script at the time, I decided to discountinue it.

However, I am currently in the formation of a new idea; I'll discuss that in this next section, and then dive into how I feel like I'd be able to achieve it, and what kind of help I might need.

So, what's this idea anyway?

As you all know, the absolute worst way to make a hack is to start with something ludicrously ambitious, and then only start putting any work in once all the planning is completed (OMG IMMA MAKE A HACK WITH ALL THE REGIONS YEAH!). That would just make for a shoddy project that you'd just get bored of and quit halfway through your first Trainer script.

What I have worked on is the region idea and overarching plot. The hack will be set on an archipelago of islands (probably five). I plan on the player starting on the smallest and most isolated of these islands; and from there, will travel to one of the largest to receive their first Pokemon at a festival of some kind. From there, the hack will play out as any normal Pokemon journey would; exploring my own personalised region with all its quirks and characteristics, battling gyms and the like. I would aim to keep the writing entertaining and the characters memorable, as well - I wouldn't like to make a hack that's only pleasing aesthetically.

The main legendary Pokemon of this region would be Darkrai. I don't know if I plan on utilising the Cresselia plotline in this hack; I don't know if it would fit into the story I would like to tell. The region's mythology consists of a haunted past where Darkrai would terrorise the people and Pokemon living on these islands, only for it to be sealed away (lol, classic legendary plot). Of course, there would be an evil team attempting to resurrect it; however, the twist in the story would be that the motives of the team leaders would differ in some way. I haven't written everything down properly yet, but I like the idea of having one of the team's admins be a figure akin to The Mew Hunter off Dragonfree's The Quest for the Legends - a figure obsessed with Darkrai (hence why he joins the team), but with the motive of capturing Darkrai for himself and wanting to treat it with the love and compassion that he believes would have eluded it for its entire life. Maybe I'm rambling.

Feature-wise... I'm not sure yet. I'm sure that I will use one of the ROM bases that features up to Generation 6 Pokemon, but other than that, I'd like to keep it minimal. Something that doesn't take up the majority of the time on the project, that would then allow me and whoever may help me to concentrate on our creativity more than anything else.

I'm not sure what the project will be called yet. I had a few names in mind: Pokemon Darkjewel (named after one of my favourite songs), Pokemon Ghostflower (a name I've kept for like 5 years already), Pokemon Black Rose (sorry, Bela!) -
    but since it's in such an early stage right now, the name doesn't need to be finalised. Let's call it Darkjewel for now and see what sticks.

Okay, cool... so what do you need?

Well... now that I'm working with a Macbook Pro rather than a PC, I'm pretty limited as to what I can accomplish. I'm able to use AdvanceMap and XSE on this platform, and I'll see if I can access a Trainer Editor of some kind as well as unLZ (though I can't sprite). Since MS Paint isn't on here, I'm not able to edit tiles; however, that won't be too much of an issue right now, as I'll probably use tiles that modify the standard tileset.

I'm a complete rookie at scripting - I know very little. However, I do know how to make a standard dialogue box, as well as a few other NPC interactions; from there, I will try to learn, but will possibly need help with the more complex functions.

For now, that seems like the most that I'll need - all I would like first and foremost is you guys' feedback and whether you think this seems to be a reasonable prospect. Please feel free to message me if you're interested further!

Closing words...

Thanks for reading this thread! I know it's a long one, but I guess I just needed to write everything on paper.

I have a few map ideas circling through my head, as well as an overall region map too. Anything related to this project that I feel like might help me in some way (such as character designs or area ideas) I'll put onto this thread under its own section, so I'll keep this updated periodically.

Finally - I'm a pretty busy person, as my career and job prospects kind of take me all over the place.
    However, I'm also a patient person - I feel like progress on this hack will be slow. However, despite this it won't be a project that will be given up on. Please don't feel disheartened if I stop replying to messages or anything for a while; I will keep everyone updated on the status of this hack as much as I can.

Until then, here's some percentages of how much I feel I have done:
    CONCEPT + WRITING - 2-3%
    MAPPING - 0%
    SCRIPTING - 0%
    ARTWORK + SPRITING - 0%
    TECHNICALS/OTHER FUNCTIONS - 0%

Anyways, thank you so much for reading. Please let me know what you think - drop me a VM or PM on here!

Back