• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stat Changing Moves

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2018
    I don't battle competitively, but do enjoy the casual battles with friends and building pokemon to use.
    However, I've never much used stat altering moves, such as swords dance or the like. It just never seemed worth it when I felt like I was wasting the chance to just hit them with something offensive, or possibly something which would cause a status effect which could give me an extra turn(I.E. Sleep, Paralysis) and make out just as well/better.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    The choice of whether to use a stat boosting move over an all out attacking set or a more utility set is totally situational to the needs of your team. Generally you will want to run a boosting set if it's a Pokemon that can force switches or set up on bulky opponents. For example if you know your opponent's Heracross is choice locked into Close Combat, you can switch in Celebi and use Nasty Plot when your opponent inevitably switches. Moves that boost more than one stat are particularly useful, allowing your Pokemon to survive more hits while sweeping or to outspeed and KO threats that would otherwise beat it one on one. Using one of these moves is all about putting pressure on your opponent and finding the right opportunity to boost, thereby drastically improving that Pokemon's match-up against threats on your opponent's team.

Years
  • It just never seemed worth it when I felt like I was wasting the chance to just hit them with something offensive, or possibly something which would cause a status effect which could give me an extra turn(I.E. Sleep, Paralysis) and make out just as well/better.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Adding on to Mobile Tsk's point, a lot of casual players don't realize just how strong stat-boosting moves really are. In game it says one-two stages which doesn't really mean anything to the casual player. It works on a linear scale like this:

1 Stage = 1.5x Stat
    2 Stages = 2.0x Stat
    3 Stages = 2.5x Stat
    4 Stages = 3.0x Stat
    5 Stages = 3.5x Stat
    6 Stages = 4.0x Stat

So boosting by one stage is the equivalent of using a Choice item, 2 stages doubles the stat and so on. In essence, a single Swords Dance/ Nasty Plot doubles your damage which puts a lot of pressure on opponents to deal with you as fast as possible. It also makes the difference between 3HKOing and 2HKOing which makes it very hard to switch into as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't battle competitively, but do enjoy the casual battles with friends and building pokemon to use.
    However, I've never much used stat altering moves, such as swords dance or the like. It just never seemed worth it when I felt like I was wasting the chance to just hit them with something offensive, or possibly something which would cause a status effect which could give me an extra turn(I.E. Sleep, Paralysis) and make out just as well/better.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Here are some cases in which stat altering moves are really beneficial (maybe to the point where they can win you the game, depending on circumstances).

1. You're up against a really bulky Pokémon that can heal itself more than you can do damage.
    Usually, these Pokémon will carry some form of status, like Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, or Toxic. If they heal more than you can dish out, and they have this damage over time status on you, then you're bound to lose (especially if you're a physical attack and are burned). Perhaps they T-Wave you instead, but then you have a 25% to not move, and they will sometimes be able to attack you. Even if they don't carry status, if they heal more than you deal, then you're not getting anywhere. Keep in mind that depending on how much damage you deal, they might not even have to heal every turn, so you might up losing the PP war as well. Being able to set up means you might end up dealing more damage than they can heal, meaning you can break through that Pokémon.

2. You're slower.
    A lot of Pokémon have low base speed but also have access to Dragon Dance, which boosts attack and speed. Just by the description of Dragon Dance, you can imagine, what a faster and hard hitting Pokémon can do to your opponent's team. Sometimes if you set up, you just win right off the bat. Some Pokémon already hit super hard, but lack the speed to sweep, so Rock Polish or Agility would be good moves for them to defeat their opponents.

3. Calm Mind.
    Calm Mind boosts your SpAtk and SpDef, so you deal more damage and become more resistant to special hits. There are so many times when Calm Mind can win you the game as well. You don't have to be faster, your opponent just ends up not being able to kill you.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2018
    Annnnd now I get it. Thanks guys. Lol. I think it was mainly the term 'stage' that made me not understand the real use of these moves. Seeing the 'calculations' and the examples helps me wrap my head around it much better. Thanks!

Back