• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OG Living Dex Possible?

Peq

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    I am interested in making a Living Dex. But I also really enjoy playing the older generations and I own most of them. Do you think its possible to have a Living Dex where every pokemon is from it's original region?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • do you mean like making a living dex in a newer game (let's say swsh for example) and transferring all the pokemon up from their respective games? i mean it's probably doable, but would require a lot of work. also not all pokemon introduced in a generation are available in its region necessarily, like some gen 2 pokemon are not available until the kanto part of the game. so for example, houndour is not available in the "region" we associate it with, as it's only in kanto, not johto. unless you mean you want to catch them in the game they were originally obtainable in and not specifically the region. unless you hatch them...that's an option, i suppose.

Peq

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    I guess what I mean is catching all the Pokemon in the games they were first introduced, and then sending them all to Pokemon Home. So that's why I would call it an OG Living Dex. Because its harder and more fun to catch them from their original games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • gotcha. then it's probably doable, just will take a lot of time. plus if you are planning on using RBY on virtual console, there's no breeding, so you would have to have multiple playthroughs for starters and fossils, especially since this is a living dex. different story if you're using FRLG though.

PluggedP93

PluggedP93
    Years
  • My only thought on this is, as far as I'm aware, there's no trading from gen 1 and 2 through to gen 3, unless you play the downloadable versions from the nintendo store. I personally wanted to do this with my GBC hard copies of the games and was disappointed that there was no migrating from gold/silver/crystal to ruby/sapphire/emerald. Also, there are some event pokemon that will unfortunately require hacks or some lucky trading to get, such as genesect and darkrai in newer generations.

Peq

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    Yeah. I would have to use the virtual console versions of gen 1 and 2 which I already own all of them. From gen 3 onward I plan on transferring from gen 3 to 4 to 5 to bank to home. So, it would be possible. The only downside to this whole thing is that I wouldn't have much reason to play the old remakes like fire red/leaf green etc. I'm kind of looking for a reason to go back and play all the games. Maybe something to collect from them all. Maybe go back and get my diploma from each game?? That would be kind of cool too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah. I would have to use the virtual console versions of gen 1 and 2 which I already own all of them. From gen 3 onward I plan on transferring from gen 3 to 4 to 5 to bank to home. So, it would be possible. The only downside to this whole thing is that I wouldn't have much reason to play the old remakes like fire red/leaf green etc. I'm kind of looking for a reason to go back and play all the games. Maybe something to collect from them all. Maybe go back and get my diploma from each game?? That would be kind of cool too.

unless you want to go really og, i mean you could technically get by with using FRLG for your kanto pokemon and HGSS for johto. that gives you little reason to return to RBYGSC of course, but it's an option. going back to work on the regional (or national) dex is also an idea. you don't necessarily have to have a reason to return, though. like i've been replaying pokemon games all year (so far i've done XD, black 2, omegaruby, heartgold, and firered) just because i want to, no big goals in mind (other than completing the national dex in emerald, which i'm getting to...slowly but surely lol). sometimes it's easier that way anyway. just sit back and play the game and enjoy it from a new perspective if it's been a while since you played. completing the dex is enjoyable for me personally, but i can say from experience that you can get burnt out on it.

Back