• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Did you create this forum and its coding?

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
  • I'm curious if you have, so I know what to suggest or bring up in here. ^^ If several of your staff members have made everything from scratch, then altering stuff wouldn't be too difficult, while if some assets were downloaded or from other sources, then trying to figure out how to change anything would be pretty hard. *sweat*

I know, because I once edited a MyBB forum to include more BB Codes, smiley functionality ( :happy=vflip: or :happy=100x100: ), make its message editor bigger (later I made a way simpler one from scratch), and it only took a few weeks to months to figure out how to implement them. XP

I'm not asking how you made everything or from where you got stuff from (For security reasons, never know when a hacker is watching. >_> I hate the type that's up to no good... The rest seem to leave websites alone unless they're paid to test the security. ^^), but just curious whether or not you are able to make changes or would require loads of research just to edit a thing. =)

I'm asking because I love posting suggestions but don't want to suggest stuff you guys would never do in the first place, in the end just wasting everyone's time for making the topics and making you read them. *sweat*

Thanks for reading! ^^

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • We use a highly modified version of vBulletin. A lot of the features and plugins you see were coded by our admins and our development team, though, and nowadays we very rarely (if ever) use plugins from other sources. So, yes, we're able to make our own changes to the forum software.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
    Years
  • OH! Ah, I had a feeling. ^^ I was checking out some of the coding here (rightclick, Inspect Element) and saw that the editor has a lot of IDs and classes with the text "vB" in it, which didn't sound Pokémon related. =)
    Hmm... I've never used vBulletin before, so I'm unfortunately not an expert at it. =O But it's good to know that you all did heavily edit it (I honestly thought this was made from scratch from the way it looked =D) which means that you can edit stuff...

Hmm, but questions is... are you wanting to edit it only for major things and when it's really necessary? Or do you also tweak little bits here and there, like how I used to spam my forum with BB Codes that weren't all that necessary but only used for fun. =P

My guess is that you only insert something when it's actually necessary and won't slow everything down, and change something when it is required, seeing how there are many users on this site, and constantly going under maintenance would be a hassle for everyone. =) Plus the risk of an error occurring and then having to go through aaaaall of that programming that was just performed. *sweat*

Okay, I guess I have a better understanding of what to suggest then. =3 I hope it won't be bothersome to see suggestions in this section. *sweat* I just can't help myself. >#<

Anyways, thank you for answering my question, Nihilego! =D
    Hope it won't get too annoying to read my long eye-sores of replies. *sweat*

Last edited:
    Back