• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rom or Unity etc

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2018
    I'm new to pokemon hacking and just wondering if its better to hack a rom to create a game,or to use Unity or something similar?

PokeVec40

Pokémon Exile Developer
    Years
  • From my personal experience, I tried rom hacking, and it was quite easy to understand the basics of map creation, writing scripts, etc. But the problem that I encountered with rom hacking is primarily that it becomes very difficult to add new features to your project that might make it stand out. When I first started with roms, I ended up using a bunch of independent tools, to modify things such as graphics, encounters, battle systems, etc., and it really became a mess to deal with over time.

So afterward, I turned to creating fangames with Pokemon Essentials, based out of RPGMakerXP. Basically, RPGMakerXP is the software that you use to create fangames, and Pokemon Essentials is an add-on created by Maruno and others (sorry if I forgot credit). Pokemon Essentials allows you a LOT more freedom in terms of map creation, and making the project your own. It's very easy to add your own resources and graphics like tiles and sprites, and Essentials also comes with pre-made with all of the possible FRLG resources you could need. RPGMakerXP also uses the coding language Ruby to run the whole engine, so If you familiarize yourself with the language, It's quite easy to add new features that you come up with, if you have the know-how to do so. However, using Essentials and RPGMakerXP does have a few downsides. First of all, RPGMaker does cost money to purchase, but it is relatively inexpensive now. Also, Ruby Game Engine library (the code that runs the game) is not optimized well for GPU units, and so lag sometimes becomes a problem the more complex you make certain elements of the game. Finally, the last drawback is that the code scripts aren't well documented, and sometimes you need to be careful when adding your own custom scripts into the game.

You also mentioned using Unity. I wouldn't recommend using it unless you are fluent in java or whatever platform you develop on. If you are planning on doing an ambitious project with a 3D rendering engine, I would recommend using Unity for development. However, if you are looking for alternative platforms or engines to develop a 2D Pokemon game on, I would recommend using something a bit lighter like LWJGL.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions if you're confused :D.
    -Vec

Back