• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Applying Art to Writing and Writing to Art?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
  • Forgive me if this post seems out of the blue and a bit sporadic... I'm a long-time writer from a while back, but a year or two ago, I forwent writing in my spare time to better develop my skills as an artist instead. A point for me was always to put both words and physical imagery to my ideas but, while I went on a sheer writing craze some time ago, my art skills were for the longest time rather lacking... I've found that, in the time I've been out of the writing game, that I had actually been improving my drawing skills dramatically when I put as much dedication into learning art as I previously had writing. Lately, however, I've been meaning to get back into writing and put my ideas into both stories and poetry to go along with my developed art skills. But, I'm hesitant... In the past, I always found that, whenever I stopped writing for such a time, my literary and narrative skills have always gotten sloppy. It's been a very long time since I've sat down write anything significant that wasn't just a simple little shtick-type prose meant to give people just a little bit of a laugh with the general cartooning or single-panel comic-making I tend to do nowadays. I'm afraid that I can produce imagery for story concepts off the top of my head, but I cannot pull out the full-blown novelesque barrages I used to do when I was writing all the time... Has anyone else attempted to do art and stories in conjunction like that and, if so, have you suffered that same type of writer's block or hesitation?

I could use some advice on how to go about doing stories to go with art as well. To this point, I've mostly just been running small dialogues/skits to go with pictures lately, but I'm deeply aware that there's actually whole process to going about real story-writing and that simple dialogue can't stand on its own, even if you have reference pictures of characters/situations/etc. to go with it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    To add on to what Elektra said, I recommend practicing art not occasionally, but once a day, to take a small break from writing. And you could still be good at both!

Back