• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Script Error For the Key Evolution

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Got a script error I'm trying to fix involving the Evolutions line from Bulbasaur's section in Pokemon.txt

Could anybody help me figure out what may be wrong?

I'm using the Pokemon_Evolution script from the old Pokemon Essentials

But when I use the new Script I get a different Error. Maybe I deleted some other related script that I shouldn't have?

trueException: RuntimeError

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 1, key Evolutions

Compiler:391:in `csvPosInt!'

Compiler:1811:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:1805:in `each'

Compiler:1805:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:1802:in `each'

Compiler:1802:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3970:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4090

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Kish Charles\Saved Games\Pokemon Green Remix\errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, you basically give it in your message. There is a version mismatch between your pokemon.txt and your Pokemon_Evolution.
    Basically the reproduction data (egg groups) have been reworked. They are integers in old versions of Essentials, while they are constants in newer versions of Essentials (like "Field", as mentioned in your error).
    The solution is simple: use the right pokemon.txt with the right version of Essentials.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Ok I figured that was the issue, but now compiling and I'm seeing this message:

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer*' line 267: NameError occurred.

uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies

I can't find the module that may have been mismatched.

Is it always this difficult to update past games on new versions of Pokemon Essentials?

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok I figured that was the issue, but now compiling and I'm seeing this message:

Script 'PokeBattle_Trainer*' line 267: NameError occurred.

uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Trainer::PBSpecies

I can't find the module that may have been mismatched.

The script PBSpecies is purely virtual, it is created on-the-fly when compiling. I don't know how you figured what the issue was, but it probably prematurely stops (or doesn't call) the function that compiles pokemon.txt. How did you solve the issue?

Is it always this difficult to update past games on new versions of Pokemon Essentials?
    Yes, basically because the devs don't care about retrocompatibility + because the creators use official releases instead of GitHub.
    But this forum is here to help you with that :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I think I solved that issue by sticking to the older versions Compiler script. There's been a lot of copy and pasting back and forth different script modules to see which ones don't crash the game. I found it best to just stick to the scripts that actually worked with the older version and only add in the updated scripts only if it's really necessary (like scripts for Gen 8 moves, abilities, etc)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I think at some point, I'm gonna have to post in Game Development to get some help with some stuff

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think I solved that issue by sticking to the older versions Compiler script. There's been a lot of copy and pasting back and forth different script modules to see which ones don't crash the game. I found it best to just stick to the scripts that actually worked with the older version and only add in the updated scripts only if it's really necessary (like scripts for Gen 8 moves, abilities, etc)

Oh my Arceus, you're in for soooooo many bugs...
    You should have done the converse: take Gen 8 project, and add your own scripts. It's waaaaayyyyyy safer.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I think I tried that first but came up with another bug that I didn't know how to fix :-/

Back