• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Can I use the others's fakemons on my pokémon fan game?

Canal_do_Lontra

Oshawott uses Razor Shell
Years
  • Can I use the others's fakemons on my pokémon fan game? What happens to me if I use, and if it is bad Why I can't use them? they are copy from the franchise Pokémon.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Can I use the others's fakemons on my pokémon fan game? What happens to me if I use, and if it is bad Why I can't use them? they are copy from the franchise Pokémon.

In general, resources are free to use if you give proper credit, so you don't have to ask. Generally creators of resources make a credit sections with all the details. But if you want to use some features that are in a game but were not released elsewhere (typically, custom fakemons), then the good practice is:

always ask before you use anything that wasn't made by yourself.

If you use someone's work without their permission, chances are they won't be aware of it, but if they are, they will inevitably ask the moderators to take down your game and/or they will harass you via social media.

Now, about the law. Internet legislation is a mess, so you'd rather stick to the good practice instead of thinking you'll get away with it. Just know that copyright is automatic whenever your create something; if you use anyone's graphics/music/code without their consent, they will have every right to sue you. I believe algorithms are not copyrighted, but their implementation is (translation: the idea of a new functionality is not copyrighted, but the Ruby code to implement it is copyrighted).

Spoiler:

In short, always ask the creators of a resource you didn't make, and if they say "no", then it's a "no" (if they don't reply, they don't give their consent, so it's also a "no").

Last edited:

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • In general, resources are free to use if you give proper credit, so you don't have to ask. Generally creators of resources make a credit sections with all the details. But if you want to use some features that are in a game but were not released elsewhere (typically, custom fakemons), then the good practice is:

always ask before you use anything that wasn't made by yourself.

If you use someone's work without their permission, chances are they won't be aware of it, but if they are, they will inevitably ask the moderators to take down your game and/or they will harass you via social media.

Now, about the law. Internet legislation is a mess, so you'd rather stick to the good practice instead of thinking you'll get away with it. Just know that copyright is automatic whenever your create something; if you use anyone's graphics/music/code without their consent, they will have every right to sue you. I believe algorithms are not copyrighted, but their implementation is (translation: the idea of a new functionality is not copyrighted, but the Ruby code to implement it is copyrighted).

Spoiler:

In short, always ask the creators of a resource you didn't make, and if they say "no", then it's a "no" (if they don't reply, they don't give their consent, so it's also a "no").

thanks, so I have to create new fakemons and don't give up in realize my dream to make a very good fan game that the people can play online the game one with each other

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    thanks, so I have to create new fakemons and don't give up in realize my dream to make a very good fan game that the people can play online the game one with each other

I don't want to discourage you, but a fangame will take you between 3 and 6 years if you're alone on an ambitious project (or one week if you're participating in a game jam lol).
    If you really have great ambitions for your game, you shouldn't make it alone, unless you're one of the few that can be good in anything (like Schwarzenegger lol).

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • I don't want to discourage you, but a fangame will take you between 3 and 6 years if you're alone on an ambitious project (or one week if you're participating in a game jam lol).
    If you really have great ambitions for your game, you shouldn't make it alone, unless you're one of the few that can be good in anything (like Schwarzenegger lol).

yeah, I am making with other people, but they don't do so much, I am making my part for my game, and what's game jam?

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    yeah, I am making with other people, but they don't do so much, I am making my part for my game, and what's game jam?
    Yeah, working with a bad team, I can relate... (IRL I mean)

A game jam is a contest where people make a game in a limited time (like a week or one day). So of course you cannot make a 40+ hours game ^^

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • Yeah, working with a bad team, I can relate... (IRL I mean)

A game jam is a contest where people make a game in a limited time (like a week or one day). So of course you cannot make a 40+ hours game ^^
    what I have to do with my team to they help more than normal?

Years
  • what I have to do with my team to they help more than normal?

Well, you have to remember that your team members are real people. They have personal lives, and things to do as well. They aren't superhumans or robots. Some general tips are motivation, complimenting what they do for you. Become friends with your team members (to an extent), so it feels like they aren't working for someone, but working with someone they're friends with.

Canal_do_Lontra

Years
  • Well, you have to remember that your team members are real people. They have personal lives, and things to do as well. They aren't superhumans or robots. Some general tips are motivation, complimenting what they do for you. Become friends with your team members (to an extent), so it feels like they aren't working for someone, but working with someone they're friends with.

thanks, I will try to get them help me, I will become friends with them

Years
  • This is kind of weird that I know this, but I asked about the legality of using art that I don't own since I don't want to get into legal trouble.
    If somebody made Fakemon for their own use or if somebody bought Fakemon to use, legally it is theirs and even if you get permission to use them they can revoke permission at any time and they technically can take legal action if you refuse. So be careful when you're using someone else's Fakemon.

Back