• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How do I get all Pokemon to use their Front-Facing sprites, flipping the player's Pokemon horizontally like in Fire Emblem GBA battle scenes?

Years
  • Do you see how the characters face each other in this perspective?

That's the look I want to go for in my game, where the Pokemon face each other. Pokemon Essentials already comes with good-looking sprites used for the foes, but how do I get the player's Pokemon to use these sprites while flipping them horizontally so they will face their opponent?

Type_Wild_Screenshot_03.png

Here's another example of the look I want to go for. It's different from the mainline Pokemon RPG games, where the camera's perspective is behind your Pokemon. This side-on "Fighting game style" perspective is great because it means you only have to draw a Pokemon once from this perspective, and all of the Pokemon's sprites can be flipped around if he's on the other side of the battlefield. Now instead of drawing a Pokemon's front and back, you only need to draw a Pokemon from the front. Naturally, this speeds up fakemon creation and allows for more intricate, detailed, beautiful backgrounds that would make 2D fighting games jealous.

Last edited:
    Back