• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Help Expanding Number of Maps

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I've been trying to create custom maps in FireRed while using an expanded amount of map names, which required many different tables to be repointed and values to be edited. The tutorials I used to expand the map names can be found HERE and HERE.

Now, creating and importing my maps went flawlessly. It works perfectly. However, all the map names for locations are wrong.

Help Expanding Number of Maps

And I know that it's because something went wrong with creating the expanded maps. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I have octuple-checked everything and it all seems correct, so I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. I am kind of unsure as to what I'm supposed to be setting the limiting bytes to, though. So that may be the problem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    (I should have clarified this a little more, but...) I can't get it to use maps 0x0-0x57, and I think that's got something to do with why it's tripping up.
    I'm looking at offset 0x3F2490, where the hex version of the map is, and all the addresses match with what they are in A-Map. Only in game do they show up incorrectly.

The reason I think this is that map 0x5B is Cerulean City. When I go in-game, it shows up as map 0xB3, Trainer Tower.
    0xB3 - 0x5B = 0x58 value difference.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • (I should have clarified this a little more, but...) I can't get it to use maps 0x0-0x57, and I think that's got something to do with why it's tripping up.
    I'm looking at offset 0x3F2490, where the hex version of the map is, and all the addresses match with what they are in A-Map. Only in game do they show up incorrectly.

The reason I think this is that map 0x5B is Cerulean City. When I go in-game, it shows up as map 0xB3, Trainer Tower.
    0xB3 - 0x5B = 0x58 value difference.
    SHOOT I SAW THIS JUST LIKE EARLIER TODAY
    AGH NOW I HAVE TO FIND IT FOR YOU I'LL BRB

EDIT: check this out, it might probably help probably

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • ... Ugghhhh....
    That's one of the tutorials I linked in my post. {XD}

That said, if you have any idea what I might be doing wrong, I would love to hear it! I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.
    didn't mean to post zilvereyes' anyways, it was jambo's that you also linked to ehehe

Spoiler:
    To make this support map names below 0x58, you need to navigate to 0x080C4D86 and replace the following 2 bytes with 00's. This removes the lower limit on map names. Then repoint the table for the names, and put in the extra 0x58 names.
    Spoiler:

EDIT: SHIT I STUPID PLS DON'T RESPOND I'M NOT THINKING STRAIGHT

EDIT2: did you do the "flight data controller data" thing?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    didn't mean to post zilvereyes' anyways, it was jambo's that you also linked to ehehe

EDIT: **** I STUPID PLS DON'T RESPOND I'M NOT THINKING STRAIGHT

EDIT2: did you do the "flight data controller data" thing?

Haha don't worry about it. :) And yes I've repointed all the tables and changes the pointers to direct to them.

Referring to Jambo's post though, I have no idea what I should be changing those limiting bytes to? I've done everything else correctly (I think) it's just that one thing that's kind of vague?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Haha don't worry about it. :) And yes I've repointed all the tables and changes the pointers to direct to them.

Referring to Jambo's post though, I have no idea what I should be changing those limiting bytes to? I've done everything else correctly (I think) it's just that one thing that's kind of vague?
    c5280 - 00 00 00 00
    when you put the 0x108 0x0's before your table, it's just teling you to put in data for the first 0x58 entries

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    c5280 - 00 00 00 00
    when you put the 0x108 0x0's before your table, it's just teling you to put in data for the first 0x58 entries

I know. My problem is that in A-Map, there are no maps below 0x58, or above 0xC5. I'm trying to figure out why I it's still using the default values.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    OH! Open A-Map, go to header and go into professional header view by pressing ctrl+h. From there look at the map header carefully. You will find the map index value that you gotta change. Keep in mind though, you won't be able to open that map the next time you use A-Map unless you remember which offset you changed that byte. So every time you want to access that map in A-Map, revert the byte to the original one. It'll act like a lock/unlock. Hopefully this helps ya. I myself looked at that thread before in an attempt to port Faraway Island to FireRed.

Edit: I probably am still misunderstanding, but if you haven't tried, try it out anyways.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    OH! Open A-Map, go to header and go into professional header view by pressing ctrl+h. From there look at the map header carefully. You will find the map index value that you gotta change.

I tried that, and it does allow me to change it to map 0, however it still shows up as map 0x58 in A-Map's world map viewer. The selection never goes below 0x58, and I don't know how to get access to maps 0x0-0x57. I've gone through both tutorials at least a dozen times now and I still can't figure out where I'm going wrong? I still think it's because I have no idea what the limiting bytes are supposed to be changed to, if anyone knows for sure.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • i mean if it shows upcorrectly in-game then screw amap amirite?
    probably something in the .ini maybe or in the executable itself...

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    i mean if it shows upcorrectly in-game then screw amap amirite?
    probably something in the .ini maybe or in the executable itself...

Because if A-Map shows the wrong data (wrong map number, wrong location, no flight data) then I can't know if what I'm doing is right or not. And if something goes wrong I'll have no idea what is wrong except through extensive trial and error.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Did you... repoint the names data: 0x3f1cac and also add offsets for 0x0-0x58 to the beginning of that table?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Did you... repoint the names data: 0x3f1cac and also add offsets for 0x0-0x58 to the beginning of that table?

There is an offset for 201 (or 0xC9) maps in there.

Is there maybe some 'end of table' byte I'm missing here?

Help Expanding Number of Maps

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    There's no ending bytes for that table. I don't know what else to say... I feel like you'd have to change a 0x58 somewhere to 0x00 but otherwise I haven't got a clue. You will have to go through trial and errors.

edit: what did you put at Name Reader 1: 0xC4D8A? What about 0xC0BEC?

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • extensive trial and effort = checking in vboy and if one of them is correct the rest are likely to be correct too but hey
    you do you, good luck in your endeavors~

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    extensive trial and effort = checking in vboy and if one of them is correct the rest are likely to be correct too but hey
    you do you, good luck in your endeavors~

I feel like we're not on the same page here. If I try to do it without A-Map, then each map has to have several things changed individually. And (albeit hypothetically) if one thing is mis-aligned, then that's 200 maps that have to be changed one by one. (And again and again depending on my own propensity for mistakes) I am adamant about needing A-Map because I have little free time and it will speed up the process.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Okay, so I think I might have found the cause of my problems?

Jambo's tutorial says:
    To modify the routines, navigate to 0x080C3880, and change the following bytes to 00 00 C4 28. Then go to 0x080C35E4, and change the next few bytes to 00 00 C4 28. The go to 0x080C35EC, and change the byte here to 0x63.

I've found that upon editing the world map in A-Map, the values sometimes reset. Any idea why that is happening/how to make it stop?

Back