• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Modifying HMs on existing Hacks

Baadar

I'm nothing...
Years
  • Just a quick question. I enjoy playing hackroms and such, Alred Emerald & Sigma Emerald being two of my favorites (among others) but while I enjoy most if not all of the features the people behind these roms put there's always one thing that keeps on bugging me: The Hm moves. Most of the time, despite all the features, these are the only ones that remain pretty much vanilla and are still a necessity to play the game, so at the end of the day you still require a "Hm slave" if you want to avoid messing a team member's move pool (altered gets around this by making nature power replace some hms, but I feel that only makes the hm feel entirely useless, I know Is contradictory but that's my mind -. -) and that is kind of a hassle.
    So I was wondering if there was a way to modify the HM moves on some of those really heavily modified roms, in other more vanilla like games that don't add that much is easy with some tools, but on these I assume that since they add a bunch of new moves the effects are messed up in the program (example, I tried giving cut the 2-3 hits effect of triple kick but once ingame it seemed to give it an effect like a growl)... So yeah...
    Is there a way to properly modify these moves without messing up the rest of the game? I don't want to take credit or anything for their work, this is more of a personal thing I want to do for myself... Hope I can get an answer.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    The error that you gave an example of was probably just an INI issue. If you could rebuild the INI of the ROM for that editor, you'd be able to make whatever changes you want.

Baadar

I'm nothing...
    Years
  • The error that you gave an example of was probably just an INI issue. If you could rebuild the INI of the ROM for that editor, you'd be able to make whatever changes you want.

OK, I'm kind of dumb and new on this... How can I do that? And what would be the best tool to do so?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    OK, I'm kind of dumb and new on this... How can I do that? And what would be the best tool to do so?

You'd have to know how to read the hex binary of the ROM, since most tools can't reliably form an accurate INI on their own. If you know how many Pokémon/Move/Ability/etc slots there are (including unused ones, since those count as well) you can use G3HS to begin working on an INI, and then PGE can probably work out the rest of it, if you know how to convert the format of the INI.

Back